Author Topic: Would life on Mars change your world view?  (Read 7633 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Would life on Mars change your world view?
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:58:55 PM »
https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/life-on-mars-proof?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/im-convinced-we-found-evidence-of-life-on-mars-in-the-1970s/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasa-mars-life-discovery-space-exomars-rover-chief-scientist-jim-green-a9125076.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/us/nasa-life-on-mars-jim-green-scn-trnd/index.html

Some people think that alien life on Mars was found in 1976, and not followed up on, and some people think that discovering life on Mars would be shocking to the cultural and religious world view of many. 

Would the discovery and confirmation of life outside of Earth be a shock to you?  Although I cannot cite any evidence yet to support my opinion, my thought is that due to the almost infinite locations in the Universe, there must be life and intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe.  I would welcome the discovery, as long as it is not something along the lines of 'To Serve Man': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man_(The_Twilight_Zone)

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Would life on Mars change your world view?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 03:02:16 PM »
https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/life-on-mars-proof?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/im-convinced-we-found-evidence-of-life-on-mars-in-the-1970s/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasa-mars-life-discovery-space-exomars-rover-chief-scientist-jim-green-a9125076.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/us/nasa-life-on-mars-jim-green-scn-trnd/index.html

Some people think that alien life on Mars was found in 1976, and not followed up on, and some people think that discovering life on Mars would be shocking to the cultural and religious world view of many. 

Would the discovery and confirmation of life outside of Earth be a shock to you?  Although I cannot cite any evidence yet to support my opinion, my thought is that due to the almost infinite locations in the Universe, there must be life and intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe.  I would welcome the discovery, as long as it is not something along the lines of 'To Serve Man': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man_(The_Twilight_Zone)

I'd be surprised to find sentient life elsewhere, but my faith does not dictate that life only exists on this earth. In fact, C.S. Lewis has a trilogy about life on other planets. (Where the Fall of Man affected those planets, as well. It's an interesting concept.)

(C.S. Lewis being one of the greatest Christian apologists of the 20th century.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »
I don't see why it would change anything, but people can be strange about such things. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:36:23 PM »
Wouldn't change mine.  I suspect life in bacterial/fungal/spore form exists in our Solar System in extremophile environments, though it's unlikely that complex life such as plants and animals share our Sun.  Pretty much anywhere with hydrodynamic and/or thermal cycles.  Mars, Ceres, Europa, Titan.

It's my hope that humanity has respect for demonstrated ecosystems on other bodies and efforts to not interfere with them, but also doesn't allow bacterial life or simple single cellular life to stop us from colonizing other bodies or using them for resources.  There's too many people in interplanetary sciences that want to keep the entire solar system as a private laboratory, a scientist-only club.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 03:39:51 PM »
I suspect life in bacterial/fungal/spore form exists in our Solar System in extremophile environments,

If this is discovered, it will be interesting to see if the life forms share common origins or traits with Terran life, suggesting a panspermia hypothesis.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 03:48:24 PM »
Almost certainly there is microbial life in the solar system. It wouldn't change my world view to a great degree.

To apply APS thread drift, what I HAVE been interested in of late is the Silurian Hypothesis: That Earth has had one or more advanced civilizations already rise and fall. Since pretty much nothing from before the Quaternary has been exposed, we don't know what artifacts might be preserved well below the Earth's surface. Also think about what human artifacts could possibly withstand 100 million years or more. A half a billion years from now, there might be new intelligent life on Earth and no traces of us.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/international-journal-of-astrobiology/article/silurian-hypothesis-would-it-be-possible-to-detect-an-industrial-civilization-in-the-geological-record/77818514AA6907750B8F4339F7C70EC6
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 03:52:08 PM »
I doubt there is life outside of earth, partly for theological reasons, but have considered the possibility that I might be wrong.

If it turns out to be so, some people would have their faith shaken, some people would alter their construct, some people would declare it fake news. Probably the last item more than anything else.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 04:00:37 PM »
I doubt there is life outside of earth, partly for theological reasons, but have considered the possibility that I might be wrong.

I'm genuinely interested in the theological reasons. I'm just a half-assed Catholic, and my beliefs are probably not in line with the church. However, when I look up into the night sky, my thought is, "God is a pretty smart guy. Why would he waste billions of planets?"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 04:01:40 PM »
I suspect life in bacterial/fungal/spore form exists in our Solar System in extremophile environments.

You mean like Democrats?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 04:02:48 PM »
I'm genuinely interested in the theological reasons. I'm just a half-assed Catholic, and my beliefs are probably not in line with the church. However, when I look up into the night sky, my thought is, "God is a pretty smart guy. Why would he waste billions of planets?"

Though I am not a Catholic, half-assed or otherwise, I have often wondered the same thing for the same reasons.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 04:11:33 PM »

I'm abbreviating 2000 years of church thought and shoving it into a conversation that the Bible doesn't even really address, but it goes something like this:

First of all there's the argument from silence, that since it remains unaddressed, then it probably doesn't exist, because it is Kind of a Big Deal, however, the holy writings are silent on all sorts of things we might wish commentary on.

When it comes to intelligent life in particular, humans are considered to be the pinnacle of creation, the only being endowed with a soul. Envisioning other intelligent beings leads to the problem of fitting them into what is admittedly, *traditionally*, a rather absolute arrangement between human souls and God.

That said, i think the *biggest* theological issues are going to be raised by the many evangelicals who subscribe to the so called Young Earth theory of creation, ie, everything is really just a few thousand years old, created to look older. That mindset, if it is not prescribed specifically, holds to the unbounded specialness of the Earth and Humans in the cosmic scheme.

Other traditions, such as the Catholics, subscribe to a more gradualist view of God where he is more active thru natural laws over eons of time (such as in evolution) and thus might not have as big a problem with the notion.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
The discovery and confirmation of life outside of Earth would not suprise me, or change my worldview.  Quite the contrary, on a long enough timeline, not finding life outside earth would raise more questions for me.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
I'm abbreviating 2000 years of church thought and shoving it into a conversation that the Bible doesn't even really address, but it goes something like this:

Thanks for that, and before I respond, a general message:

This could be a very interesting philosophical APS, sipping whiskey around the virtual campfire, discussion. Everyone needs to just accept the beliefs / non-beliefs of others. No "religion is stupid" or "shun the unbeliever who's burning in hell" stuff.

So for the sake of argument, conceding the "humans are the pinnacle of creation, and the only being endowed with a soul", is there any way to interpret the bible as saying that intelligence is only possible with a soul? Otherwise, God also created dogs (yay!) and cows and worms and fish.

We will concede that they (except for dogs) have no soul, but they are still life that God created. So why can't God create that same soulless life on other worlds? If we accept that God created the beasts for the use of Man, can't we also suppose that God anticipated Man going to the stars, so he might have created "the beasts" on other worlds humans may set foot on?

Again, just one discussion example based on my limited knowledge of the bible and the "beasts for the use of man" thing. My personal opinion would be that I would not take my starship to another world with a technological civilization and assume they were for my use. However, for life away from Earth, I don't see why God couldn't have created a Martian cow to make hamburgers from.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »

First of all there's the argument from silence, that since it remains unaddressed, then it probably doesn't exist, because it is Kind of a Big Deal, however, the holy writings are silent on all sorts of things we might wish commentary on.

When it comes to intelligent life in particular, humans are considered to be the pinnacle of creation, the only being endowed with a soul. Envisioning other intelligent beings leads to the problem of fitting them into what is admittedly, *traditionally*, a rather absolute arrangement between human souls and God.

That said, i think the *biggest* theological issues are going to be raised by the many evangelicals who subscribe to the so called Young Earth theory of creation, ie, everything is really just a few thousand years old, created to look older. That mindset, if it is not prescribed specifically, holds to the unbounded specialness of the Earth and Humans in the cosmic scheme.

Other traditions, such as the Catholics, subscribe to a more gradualist view of God where he is more active thru natural laws over eons of time (such as in evolution) and thus might not have as big a problem with the notion.

On the first bold, how do we even know that we will continue to use radio waves for comms in another 100 years?  Or that other species would use it?  Or that the radio waves we generate actually go that far and there is nothing that stops them.  Voyager has made some interesting discoveries at the edge of the system.  We are still getting signals from it.  Until we venture out there, it is still speculation to a degree.

On the 2nd bold, I think the shock would be even bigger for many if it was discovered/proven the Earth actually was less than 10K years old.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 05:06:44 PM »
Wouldn't change mine.  I suspect life in bacterial/fungal/spore form exists in our Solar System in extremophile environments, though it's unlikely that complex life such as plants and animals share our Sun.  Pretty much anywhere with hydrodynamic and/or thermal cycles.  Mars, Ceres, Europa, Titan.

It's my hope that humanity has respect for demonstrated ecosystems on other bodies and efforts to not interfere with them, but also doesn't allow bacterial life or simple single cellular life to stop us from colonizing other bodies or using them for resources.  There's too many people in interplanetary sciences that want to keep the entire solar system as a private laboratory, a scientist-only club.
The issue to me would be trying to prevent or control something that they can't control.  Could the spread of disease between the Old World and the New World have been prevented in 1492?  Probably not since they had little understanding for it and contact would have been inevitable.  I think the same would apply to anywhere we go.  Cross contamination will happen eventually.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 05:15:25 PM »
The discovery and confirmation of life outside of Earth would not suprise me, or change my worldview.  Quite the contrary, on a long enough timeline, not finding life outside earth would raise more questions for me.

I expect to find life here and there in the solar system as well as "out there."  I would also expect some of it to develop into sentient self-aware beings "out there."  (And, just maybe, under the ice pack of that moon as well.)

Although this has been interpreted in perhaps a dozen different ways, it has been said that "in my house there are many mansions." I forget which Biblical luminary said it, but it was one of the big ones.

( :) )

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 05:21:10 PM »
Almost certainly there is microbial life in the solar system. It wouldn't change my world view to a great degree.

To apply APS thread drift, what I HAVE been interested in of late is the Silurian Hypothesis: That Earth has had one or more advanced civilizations already rise and fall. Since pretty much nothing from before the Quaternary has been exposed, we don't know what artifacts might be preserved well below the Earth's surface. Also think about what human artifacts could possibly withstand 100 million years or more. A half a billion years from now, there might be new intelligent life on Earth and no traces of us.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/international-journal-of-astrobiology/article/silurian-hypothesis-would-it-be-possible-to-detect-an-industrial-civilization-in-the-geological-record/77818514AA6907750B8F4339F7C70EC6
I don't think it would take near that long for traces of our civilization to disappear.  Very little of what we make would survive especially when looking at not only thousands, but 10,000 or 100,000 years out.  Even the pyramids or Mouth Rushmore would eventually change.  When they are talking in the 100,000 years or millions, you are talking about multiple climate cycles and significant geologic shifts are possible.  

If an older civilization used similar technical processes and building materials to what we use, they would be the same.  I am trying to think of what we have built now that would survive in geologic time frames and coming up blank.  Even giant stone monuments would erode.  Things like bronze statues might last a while, but I am not sure over that amount of time and the wrong conditions could still deteriorate or erode them.  Even if something lasted in bulk, would it still be recognizable?  

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 05:30:50 PM »
If an older civilization used similar technical processes and building materials to what we use, they would be the same.  I am trying to think of what we have built now that would survive in geologic time frames and coming up blank.  Even giant stone monuments would erode.  Things like bronze statues might last a while, but I am not sure over that amount of time and the wrong conditions could still deteriorate or erode them.  Even if something lasted in bulk, would it still be recognizable?  

Which is one reason the hypothesis is so interesting to me. Heck, we're talking humans at our current technological level, and the hypothesis is just looking at some intelligent life that may have only advanced as far as our earliest civilizations. Discovered fire, the wheel, etc.

And I agree that AFAIK, anything humans created would likely disappear MUCH sooner than a hundred million (or maybe just a million) years. Which again makes the hypothesis interesting because there could literally have been hundreds of life forms prior to ours that evolved into tool builders and global industrial societies.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 08:05:12 PM »
Life on mars, outside of bacteria type critters would surprise me. Life outside of our solar system wouldn't surprise me at all. I still think all life on earth is extra terrestrial in it's origin. Something single celled in nature survived a flight through space on a rock and landed on early earth and slowly evolved into all the species that inhabit (or had inhabited) the earth.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 08:06:09 PM »
We will concede that they (except for dogs) have no soul,

Cats have souls, they were stolen from the people they have enslaved.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 08:19:48 PM »
The number of stars in our galaxy is beyond the capacity of the human mind to grasp.
To imagine that our world is the only place where life has sprung would be disheartening.

I also tend to favor the Silurian Hypothesis. It seems every year more and more "ancient" stuff comes to light and some of the explanations for some of the ancient sights so far discovered don't ring for me.
As for what we know, the Earth is some 4.5 billion years old (according to science). The oldest civilization we can confirm is around 50,000 years, (Australian Aborigines). With Mesopotamia being a distant 2nd at about 7500-8000 years old.
That's a lot of time for things to rise and fall between point A and now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 08:21:13 PM »
We're hitched to a little Podunk star in a backwater Galaxy and we know a little about .00000000000000000000000~1% of the rest of it. Be shocking to think we were the only thing out there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 09:04:49 PM »

So for the sake of argument, conceding the "humans are the pinnacle of creation, and the only being endowed with a soul", is there any way to interpret the bible as saying that intelligence is only possible with a soul? Otherwise, God also created dogs (yay!) and cows and worms and fish.

Anyone that says dog's don't go to heaven can take their flawed theology and GTFO  >:D .   There's no way to share your life with a dog and think it's only a meat robot with no soul.

I have nothing to add on the main topic, other than I wish I'd live long enough to see what comes.  We'll probably run into other life, maybe even sentient, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.  Unless said undiscovered life finds us first.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 09:13:48 PM »
Cats have souls, they were stolen from the people they have enslaved.

They take them out and play pounce and catch games at night.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.