Author Topic: Would life on Mars change your world view?  (Read 7637 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Would life on Mars change your world view?
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 10:37:17 PM »
Anyone that says dog's don't go to heaven can take their flawed theology and GTFO  >:D .   There's no way to share your life with a dog and think it's only a meat robot with no soul.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 11:09:24 PM »
Today I learned I'm Catholic.

Thanks HankB!
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 11:37:25 PM »
Funny, but the letters don't look real at all. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 01:46:38 AM »
The notion that extraterrestrial life would somehow invalidate religious teachings (or at least Christian ones) is groundless.

I'm genuinely interested in the theological reasons. I'm just a half-assed Catholic, and my beliefs are probably not in line with the church. However, when I look up into the night sky, my thought is, "God is a pretty smart guy. Why would he waste billions of planets?"

Even if human Earthlings* are the only intelligent critters, that's no reason to believe that a billion empty planets, even habitable ones, are wasted. God doesn't need to put life all over the universe to justify His Creation. If, as the Bible suggests, God has an especial love for the creatures of Earth, that may be all the reason He needs to create all those petty baubles beyond our atmosphere. Just to give us cool stuff to look at, or think about.

*Well, humans and angels.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 09:05:17 AM »
The number of stars in our galaxy is beyond the capacity of the human mind to grasp.
To imagine that our world is the only place where life has sprung would be disheartening.

I also tend to favor the Silurian Hypothesis. It seems every year more and more "ancient" stuff comes to light and some of the explanations for some of the ancient sights so far discovered don't ring for me.
As for what we know, the Earth is some 4.5 billion years old (according to science). The oldest civilization we can confirm is around 50,000 years, (Australian Aborigines). With Mesopotamia being a distant 2nd at about 7500-8000 years old.
That's a lot of time for things to rise and fall between point A and now.

Do you have a link for the 50,000 years?  I would like to see that.

I agree more or less.  I think there is a lot we don't know and I figure there is also a lot we think we know that might not be true. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 09:16:34 AM »
The number of stars in our galaxy is beyond the capacity of the human mind to grasp.
To imagine that our world is the only place where life has sprung would be disheartening.

I also tend to favor the Silurian Hypothesis. It seems every year more and more "ancient" stuff comes to light and some of the explanations for some of the ancient sights so far discovered don't ring for me.
As for what we know, the Earth is some 4.5 billion years old (according to science). The oldest civilization we can confirm is around 50,000 years, (Australian Aborigines). With Mesopotamia being a distant 2nd at about 7500-8000 years old.
That's a lot of time for things to rise and fall between point A and now.

I'm not fully versed in the numbers on this, so this is just my poor recollection, but I believe that while there may be billions of stars, it takes more than a planet circling a star, even in the "habitable zone" of the star to provide the conditions for life.

Not only does it have to be in the "habitable zone" of the star for water to exist in liquid form (for life as we know it to exist), the star itself also has to be in a "habitable zone" of the galaxy. The center of the galaxy is theorized to emit radiation that makes anything within the inner radius of the galaxy inhospitable to life. Further, certain areas of the galaxy are lacking a proper mass of elements (like iron, carbon, oxygen, etc...) to form habitable planets.

Effectively, while the may be billions of stars, it may turn out that only a very few are capable of forming planets and even fewer of those planets are capable of supporting life.

The numbers suggest that Earth being unique (at least in this galaxy- I'm not sure how the numbers work as we move universe-wide) is actually a pretty high probability.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 09:37:04 AM »
^^^As our imaging and detection technology has improved, I have been interested to see the list of potentially life-supporting exoplanets increase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potentially_habitable_exoplanets

In years past, there was a lot of thought in the astronomy community that Earth may be the only 'Goldilocks' planet where everything was 'just right' for the development of life; I think that concern has lessened considerably in recent years.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 10:28:24 AM »
I won't be shocked if we find simple life on Mars or Europa, Enceladus etc. I'd be rather surprised if we find multi-cellular complex life anywhere else in the Solar System.

JWST will just be on the cusp of getting exoplanetary atmospheric spectra that could detect ratios of water, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and methane that aren't easily explainable by anything other than life.

There's probably a trillion plus planets in the Milky Way. And billions of those are going to be in the liquid water goldilocks zone.  However, when you factor in all the leaps and chances that have happened on Earth, and if a few of them are 1:1000 odds or worse, Eukaryotes to Prokaryotes, multi-cellular life, complex life, sexual reproduction, selection pressure for brains, then tools, then technology... then you can still run out of planets, and the answer to the Drake Equation can still be N=1...

We're also quite early in the age of the Universe. In terms of how long stars will last, or be around, we're not even 5% of the way into the stelliferous era. And much of the 12-13 billion years of the Universe's evolution hasn't been conducive to life. Waiting on Population II and III stars to get enough heavy elements to form planets and complex chemistry, the galaxies central black holes settling down and clearing out the core so they stopped spewing radiation in all directions, then the 4.3 billion years Earth has taken to come up with us could be about average, granted we've only got one data point, and we don't know if the dinosaurs were arguing about funding DASA. (Dinosaur Aeronautics and Space Agency) Although certain unnatural isotopic ratios would survive to this day if there was a technological civilization on Earth 65 million years ago. So it's probably likely we're the first.

We might be among the first everywhere, the "ancients" charged with farming the galaxy and seeding life elsewhere. Might be our mandate. Being "first" and "alone" is just as profound as finding out we've got neighbors IMO.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 10:53:24 AM »
We're also quite early in the age of the Universe. In terms of how long stars will last, or be around, we're not even 5% of the way into the stelliferous era. And much of the 12-13 billion years of the Universe's evolution hasn't been conducive to life.

To that, the planets we're looking at as conducive to life are being looked at as conducive to life NOW. The Earth wasn't exactly conducive to our type of life 3 billion years ago. Those Goldilocks planets will come and go over billions and billions of years*. We're talking time frames that none of us can truly comprehend.

*And of course, we're basing "Goldilocks" on life as we know it. Life may spring up in ways we just don't yet understand.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 11:07:41 AM »
To that, the planets we're looking at as conducive to life are being looked at as conducive to life NOW. The Earth wasn't exactly conducive to our type of life 3 billion years ago. Those Goldilocks planets will come and go over billions and billions of years*. We're talking time frames that none of us can truly comprehend.

*And of course, we're basing "Goldilocks" on life as we know it. Life may spring up in ways we just don't yet understand.

I'm in the camp that "Life as we know it" will probably revolve around the liquid point of water, carbon chemistry DNA/RNA etc.  There isn't another "water hole" of good chemistry that provides an analogue for the needed complexity. The other candidates are all too cold and slow, or too hot and high pressure and energetic for lasting structures.

And further, that if there's any other intelligent tool-using life that's got a chance at creating technology and making it to space, it'll be terrestrial, oxygen atmosphere etc. and must have something like hands and eyes. Because they'll need fire. They'll need complexity, and they'll need eyes to see what's above them out in space to want to go there.

If we find them first, we'll be the advanced ones, hopefully we're kind and have empathy still.

And they might look like a polar bear crossed with a squid, due to a completely different selection process and evolutionary pressures, but I'd wager a biologist wouldn't be shocked by what they see of them under a microscope, and an engineer won't be shocked by their technology, both only mildly bemused by the minor details IMO.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 10:23:19 AM »
Aside from what we percieve as "life" and "inert" objects, I wouldn't be surprised if, at some point humanity becomes trans-stellar, we discover something that is neither alive nor inert.  Unquantifiable by our metrics, yet impressive and meriting our respect anyways.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »
I'm in the camp that "Life as we know it" will probably revolve around the liquid point of water, carbon chemistry DNA/RNA etc.  There isn't another "water hole" of good chemistry that provides an analogue for the needed complexity. The other candidates are all too cold and slow, or too hot and high pressure and energetic for lasting structures.

And further, that if there's any other intelligent tool-using life that's got a chance at creating technology and making it to space, it'll be terrestrial, oxygen atmosphere etc. and must have something like hands and eyes. Because they'll need fire. They'll need complexity, and they'll need eyes to see what's above them out in space to want to go there.

If we find them first, we'll be the advanced ones, hopefully we're kind and have empathy still.

And they might look like a polar bear crossed with a squid, due to a completely different selection process and evolutionary pressures, but I'd wager a biologist wouldn't be shocked by what they see of them under a microscope, and an engineer won't be shocked by their technology, both only mildly bemused by the minor details IMO.
On the technology, I am not sure about that.  I think there would be a lot of "Why didn't we think of that" type moments involving different ways to come to the same solution.  They might also have different needs which mean pursuing certain technologies further.  I think that would go both directions. 

As far as anything else, who knows.  We only recently got high resolution pictures of Pluto and realized there were things we didn't know.  That was just a quick pass by a newer probe with a better camera.  Who knows what we will find when we have the capability to fly out there and put boots on the ground. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 01:30:51 PM »
On the technology, I am not sure about that.  I think there would be a lot of "Why didn't we think of that" type moments involving different ways to come to the same solution.  They might also have different needs which mean pursuing certain technologies further.  I think that would go both directions. 

As far as anything else, who knows.  We only recently got high resolution pictures of Pluto and realized there were things we didn't know.  That was just a quick pass by a newer probe with a better camera.  Who knows what we will find when we have the capability to fly out there and put boots on the ground. 

I predict we'll find a Starbucks, a CVS, and somebody selling CBD and essential oils.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 02:01:40 PM »
I predict we'll find a Starbucks, a CVS, and somebody selling CBD and essential oils.

Are you kidding me? Do you know how long it takes to travel in space?

We'll find a Blockbuster, a Sears, and someone selling Tupperware and Encyclopedias.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »
Are you kidding me? Do you know how long it takes to travel in space?

We'll find a Blockbuster, a Sears, and someone selling Tupperware and Encyclopedias.
No Bibles?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 03:23:52 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 07:19:30 PM »
I'd be curious who the ET's worship as their god.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 08:44:16 PM »
I'd be curious who the ET's worship as their god.
God of course.  Duh.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 08:57:21 PM »
God of course.  Duh.

Just like the indigenous people of the Americas?

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 09:00:03 PM »
Just like the indigenous people of the Americas?
Their version of same once translated.  Don't people say Allah means "God" in English?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 09:42:53 PM »
Yes it would change.

Currently we only can confirm biological life in one place, it would then change to two places.

It wouldn't surprise me if God has biological life all over the universe ... or that only earth has life.

Other life bearing places are a factually unknown and only exist in the realm of conjecture as far as we know, now.

All we have are imaginations and probabilities based upon very limited information as inputs.

I suspect we won't find et life in my lifetime but it would be fascinating if we did.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
Their version of same once translated.  Don't people say Allah means "God" in English?

I can't think of very many indigenous American nations that practiced Monotheism before the Europeans showed up. 

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 10:50:31 PM »
I can't think of very many indigenous American nations that practiced Monotheism before the Europeans showed up.  
So that translates to aliens how?  

I like the C.S. Lewis idea in Out of the Silent Plant.  

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 11:18:08 PM »
So that translates to aliens how?  

That a civilization removed from Western Christianity, may have different god or gods or entirely different belief system then your own.

Uranus is a gas giant.