Author Topic: Epidemiologist tells the truth.  (Read 3792 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Epidemiologist tells the truth.
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 03:31:58 PM »
https://www.vhha.com/communications/virginia-hospital-covid-19-data-dashboard/ We all gonna die!!! VHHA was putting up ICU capacity stats but they are gone, that can only mean they are empty.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2021, 04:31:30 PM »
Yeah. Just keep telling me the vax is effective. Sure, I'll believe you eventually. Uh-huh.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/cdc-study-shows-74percent-of-people-infected-in-massachusetts-covid-outbreak-were-fully-vaccinated.html

No argument for or against the vaccine from this data. in terms of judging the efficacy of the vaccine, this is nonsense. Literal noise. I believe it's an example of Simpsons paradox. Yet it's been a hobby of the media to post the % of hospitalized people as if it's meaningful, fully knowing that their readers will not be able to draw correct conclusions from the numbers. If there were any accountability (ha!) they would be punished for posting these numbers at all.

You cannot judge vaccine efficacy by % of hospitalized people that are vaccinated. You also need to know something (a lot actually) about the vaccine rates in the population, and also specifically in the sub-population coming in for hospitalization.

If we had a city with 100.0% vaccination rate and the vaccine was say 99% effective we might still have people coming into the hospital, and by definition 100% of the hospitalized people would be vaccinated. It doesn't mean anything against the efficacy of the vaccine.

Similarly if we have 80% of a certain city vaccinated but the 20% of the population that's not vaccinated are all black, let's say for example, and everyone being admitted to the hospital is black, technically we will have 100% if the people hospitalized being unvaccinated, and technically that doesn't mean the vaccine works either! It could be that the vaccines are actually sugar water, and totally ineffective, and it just so happens that the outbreak is happening around people that are vaccinated at a lower rate than the general population, and the people who are vaccinated are all working from home or something, so they aren't getting it. You literally cannot tell much from %hospitalized who are vaccinated alone.

For the record, I think the vaccines seem pretty effective. Recently Cleveland clinic published that 99.7% of its hospitalizations were unvaccinated, and the overall vaccination rate for Ohio is/was about 45%. To me this is a strong indicator that vaccines are working but it proves nothing by itself and we would need to know a lot more about how vaccines are distributed in the population at large, a lot more about how the hospitalized population demographics and contact patterns, and mixing patterns within the two. Some studies show very limited physical mixing between political factions and between classes, and also we can assume distribution of vaccines is similarly split between political factions and classes. So if the highly vaccinated people are just staying away from the unvaccinated people then it can explain why we might see one hospital with 99% unvaccinated admissions and one hospital with 84% vaccinated admissions.

What matters is what are my chances of the vaccine protecting me. The best data is a controlled study which was done with about 40,000 randomized, placebo controlled people during the vaccine trials, which showed good effectiveness, like essentially 100% against death, 90%+ for hospitalization and 70% for getting symptoms but all the vaccines are slightly different. The question is what is it against delta variant now and I think we need another controlled trial to know.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2021, 06:47:26 PM »
The data published Friday was based on 469 cases of Covid associated with multiple summer events and large public gatherings held in July in Barnstable County, Massachusetts, which encompasses Cape Cod and is just outside Martha’s Vineyard. The events were held in Provincetown, according to NBC News. Approximately three-quarters, or 74%, of the cases occurred in fully vaccinated people who had completed a two-dose course of the mRNA vaccines or received a single shot of Johnson & Johnson’s.

Roughly 97% of new hospitalizations and 99.5% of deaths in the U.S. are among unvaccinated individuals, U.S. health officials repeated this week.

IMO, there are two problems.  First, the vaccine is not full proof.  Second, the rate of hospitalization is very low in the first place so that makes it harder to get much out of the numbers in the first place. 

That said, if your hypothetical was true and hospitals were filling up with vaccinated people, that would be an issue even if the overall numbers were low compared to the population.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2021, 06:52:27 PM »
Lets take a break for a minute.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2021, 11:03:07 PM »
If vaccinations went to 100%, do you think it would all go away?  If so, you have a higher opinion of our govt bureaucrats and politicians than I do.

I don't think THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN - - - - - - oooops, covid19 is going to go away.  I think that it will likely mutate into a E or F variant that will be more like a common cold and not as fatal as the current versions, and be around until Armageddon 2.0 gets us all.

I have every faith in both bureaucrats and politicians  - - - to lie to us,  sc**w us over,  ignore us, berate us, insult us,  and in multiple ways, make our lives just generally miserable ..... assuming, that is,  that they let us live to begin with .. :-[.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 11:19:16 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2021, 11:14:25 PM »
No.

The US is one of the only first world countries to insist on vaccines  both for those who haven't had and have had covid. The more peer reviewed research that I read (and sadly much of it comes from international researchers because the MSM and big tech seem to put a lid on it here), the more evidence I see that this covid results in the same robust immunity as SARS/covid1, which is to say likely lifetime.

Unless this vaccination craze ends up creating a platform for significant virus mutation, in which case neither the vaccinated who have never had covid, nor those with natural immunity are safe from a significant mutation.

Seriously, only YOU can determine if YOU need to be vaccinated.  If you have had, and recovered from THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN - - - - -oooops, covid19, then >I <  would not take it,  as I've heard it can cause a bad reaction.

OTOH,  I have not had the beer disease (   :angel: )  and at my age and condition, I thought it wise to get the "jab."  Two, actually, the Phyzer.   No problem ,  just an achy shoulder for the rest of the day. 

As I said in the immediate prior post,  I believe this will evolve into a variant that is less fatal.  I think this is already happening in the  D variant,  which is @ 1/6th as fatal,  but much more transmissable. 

I suppose it could  mutate into something more like THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN.  [popcorn]  If it does I want to call dibs on the movie rights!!!!!! [tinfoil]   

Until then I am not going to panic .....  which is I think what our puppet master overlords want us to do.    But I ain't no myrmidon.   >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2021, 11:15:02 PM »
At this point nearly everyone has atleast has had the opportunity to take the vaccination,  and can still get it.  It should no longer be the responsibility of those who are "vaxxed" to protect those who are not.

GET VAXXED  STUFFED!!!!
[/b]

FIFY !!  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 11:22:52 PM »
FIFY !!  >:D

Sensitive, aren't we???  ;/   ;)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2021, 11:33:37 PM »
Lets take a break for a minute.

So stolen!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 12:08:10 AM »
So... How are those influenza numbers this year?

Things to consider...

The 'Rona v. 1.0 was VERY contagious, right? So a lot of people had it, and beat it like a rented stepchild... Now, this is even more contagious... And I'm guessing that about as many folks have managed to catch it and beat it.

And I'm wondering about how many of the "hospitalizations" are for anything more than "We're gonna keep you overnight, because we can bill that insurance company."
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2021, 12:09:28 AM »
Sensitive, aren't we???  ;/   ;)

Not really.  It is just that I disliked being "ordered" to be somebody's "guinea pig".  I know, they call it the "practice of medicine" but let them "practice" on themselves and not ME !!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:05:13 PM by JTHunter »
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2021, 08:38:08 AM »

OTOH,  I have not had the beer disease (   :angel: )  and at my age and condition, I thought it wise to get the "jab."  Two, actually, the Phyzer.   No problem ,  just an achy shoulder for the rest of the day. 

Just as my research of peer reviewed literature has cemented my decision to not get a vaccine as someone who has had the virus, that same research suggests that if I hadn't had the virus, I most likely would be vaccinated now.

The burr under my saddle is all about those of us who have attained natural immunity, but are treated like Indian Untouchables in the US covid culture.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2021, 11:01:14 AM »
Yeah, if you've had and recovered from the disease you already have the antibodies.  In fact, I think it's beginning to be recognized that a recovered person actually shouldn't get a vaccination.  Some  who have have had bad reactions.

:facepalm: Our dystopian "one size fits all" bureaucratic mentality ......  :mad:  :old: :old:  ;/

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2021, 11:08:37 AM »
Yeah, if you've had and recovered from the disease you already have the antibodies.  In fact, I think it's beginning to be recognized that a recovered person actually shouldn't get a vaccination.  Some  who have have had bad reactions.

Not bad as in I almost died but I did feel miserable for a few days. I suspected, but no actual proof, I had had it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2021, 01:17:23 PM »
... It should no longer be the responsibility of those who are "vaxxed" to protect those who are not.

GET VAXXED!!!!
[/b]

What responsibility does someone who is vaccinated have to protect someone who isn't vaccinated?

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »
What responsibility does someone who is vaccinated have to protect someone who isn't vaccinated?

Woody
IMO, the only responsibility I might want someone to take up is for people who are sick to not go out and spread it around.  I don't know why vaccinated or unvaccinated would have any responsibility beyond that. 

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2021, 07:06:42 PM »

Woody

None, really, now that the vaccine is so available.   That was kind of my point ....   =D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2021, 09:09:17 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/every-hospital-is-quite-full-in-washington-as-delta-variant-of-coronavirus-spreads/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_f&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1627960175-1

Does anyone actually believe the Delta variant is causing all those new hospitalizations?  The document I posted in another thread says that they would have to specifically test every patient to see which variant he/she has.  I doubt they are doing that.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2021, 10:09:19 AM »
Does anyone actually believe the Delta variant is causing all those new hospitalizations?  The document I posted in another thread says that they would have to specifically test every patient to see which variant he/she has.  I doubt they are doing that.

It's probably fair to believe most are,  since the delta version is more easily trsnsmissable.  I'm sure the original version is still around, off in a corner sulking as it watches it's new improved version take over .....  [tinfoil] [popcorn]   ;)

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2021, 10:35:00 AM »
Why would it be unbelievable that a particularly infectious variant that is not as well controlled by the existing COVID vaccines might be increasing hospitalizations?

FWIW, the Washington State hospital information is available via the Washington State COVID 19 dashboard here: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVID19/DataDashboard

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2021, 10:54:25 AM »
As I drove into work this morning, I was interested to hear a report that more and more of the local healthcare facilities/systems in western Washington will be requiring COVID vaccination for the healthcare employees.  Most systems are allowing opting out for medical or religious grounds, but otherwise, no vaccination will likely mean no work.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2021, 11:16:51 AM »
I just wonder how many of the hospitalized casedemic are there because they are worth money... "We better keep you for observation. Yeah, I know it feels like a bad cold, but better safe than sorry. You like being safe, right? Everyone should be safe."

Also... Most of the cases are younger people...

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/covid-19/data/index.cfm
Blog under construction

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
If the "vaccine" actually protects , and someone is worried about corona, just get the shots. But don't spend all year telling us how  effective the jab is, and then turn around and tell us it does not work because some person somewhere did not get jabbed.
It either works, or it does not.
Very few things in life are that black and white. Medicine & healthcare almost never is.

Didn't Trump get the vaccine after already recovering from the disease? I suppose he may have had unique circumstances that warranted it.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »
What if... the vaccine is pretty much just a placebo, and what we're seeing is basically just a summer cold?

Oh, and... the curve of cases this summer looks very similar to the curve of cases last summer...

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/covid-19/data/index.cfm
Blog under construction