Author Topic: EBR Mag Storage  (Read 1190 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
EBR Mag Storage
« on: December 13, 2020, 09:27:29 AM »
For those of you with lots of AR and similar mags, how do you store them? For the last few days, my Amazon recommendations have been showing me stuff similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Solutions-MagHolder-Magazine-Holder/dp/B00I21YUSC/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_bmx_0_2/141-1716085-5800362?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00I21YUSC&pd_rd_r=12e3b192-9131-45e9-a790-ada96ce44be2&pd_rd_w=dMIGS&pd_rd_wg=R3d2m&pf_rd_p=37485dea-0530-4cad-9ba6-8149103007d5&pf_rd_r=6FY4ABYZ63N76EHCTJMG&psc=1&refRID=6FY4ABYZ63N76EHCTJMG

Right now, I just stack mags on shelves in the safe and in my gun closet. I could see one of these maybe being more efficient though. Thoughts?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: EBR Mag Storage
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »
Ready to use mags are stored in my chest rig or battle belt holders.  Range mags are stored in an ammo box.  Spare mages are piled into a cabinet.

I'm high tech like that.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 10:32:01 AM »
I looked for a long time and finally found a plastic storage box which is exactly the right size. Mag length matches the narrow width and will lay flat four-abreast across the long width. It's tall enough to take them stacked five layers deep. It's one of the heavier style boxes with locking end clip and sturdy grab rails. Not so big that it's overly heavy but still packing 600 rds magged up and ready to go. Stackable, too.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:16:05 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 10:47:45 AM »
I looked for a long time and finally found a plastic storage box which is exactly the right size. Mag length matches the narrow width and the will lay flat four-abreast across the long width. It's tall enough to take them stacked five layers deep. It's one of the heavier style boxes with locking end clip and sturdy grab rails. Not so big that it's overly heavy but still packing 600 rds magged up and ready to go. Stackable, too.

Brad

And where might one find this miracle box?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 11:37:43 AM »
A few mags ready to roll on shelf under gun rack, some additional mags charged with reloads and varmint loads in ammo cans. New in wrapper are in a Rubbermaid tote.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 11:56:51 AM »
A few mags ready to roll on shelf under gun rack, some additional mags charged with reloads and varmint loads in ammo cans. New in wrapper are in a Rubbermaid tote.

I should clarify that I keep some mags at the ready as well. In the guns, plus now that I have plate armor (armchair warrior!) in the carrier too. I just went a little overboard on mag purchasing when I moved to America, so I have a lot of "backup mags". :)

I need to look at battle belts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »
All my mags are now stored at the bottom of the lake after that horrible kayak incident.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 12:41:47 PM »
.50 cal ammo cans
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 01:36:04 PM »
And where might one find this miracle box?

Out of town at the moment but I'll update when we get home.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 02:37:18 PM »

Brad

After you quarantine for two weeks!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »
For those of you with lots of AR and similar mags, how do you store them? For the last few days, my Amazon recommendations have been showing me stuff similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Solutions-MagHolder-Magazine-Holder/dp/B00I21YUSC/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_bmx_0_2/141-1716085-5800362?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00I21YUSC&pd_rd_r=12e3b192-9131-45e9-a790-ada96ce44be2&pd_rd_w=dMIGS&pd_rd_wg=R3d2m&pf_rd_p=37485dea-0530-4cad-9ba6-8149103007d5&pf_rd_r=6FY4ABYZ63N76EHCTJMG&psc=1&refRID=6FY4ABYZ63N76EHCTJMG

Right now, I just stack mags on shelves in the safe and in my gun closet. I could see one of these maybe being more efficient though. Thoughts?
Looks like a functional rack if you want some handy . . . but for STORAGE, from a volume efficiency standpoint, it's hard to beat an appropriately sized stackable plastic bin. (The inside of a box with nothing but mags inside doesn't lose volume to plastic mag holders and such.) If weight isn't a factor, GI ammo cans work well, too.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 10:42:58 AM »
I have a metal shelf with bins in my former gun/reloading room where I keep my extra "10" round magazines for the firearms I lost in a boat incident years ago.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
I keep some in ammo cans, some in these aluminum cases I picked up at Harbor Freight years ago, some in plastic bins, all stacked on shelves in a pair of Ikea cabinets in the Gun Room.  I need to work on pistol mag storage because they are all just tossed in to a couple tool bags next to the safes.

I do have one of those racks Ben linked to screwed to the wall next to my "bump in the night" AR but, while it looks very cool, I have come to question it's usefulness.  What is the situation where I grab my AR and it's on board 30 rounds, sally forth to defend the castle, expend that mag, then fall back to the mag rack to reload and use the remaining 180 rounds that are staged and ready?  It basically gives you a full basic load screwed to a wall for quick access.  Unless you have a static fighting position, what's the use case for that?  It looks baller though.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 12:03:28 PM »
 .....  I just keep a ginormous stash of mags in a big cardboard box .....  :angel:  ;/ ....   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 10:10:48 PM »

I thought I saw that magazine rack at one of the NRA shows I went to.  Looked good. 

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1434770
I have several mag pouches similar to this made for AK's.  Works well for AR mags also.  Mine hold 5 mags and the sleeves keep them from rattling.  Keep a couple of them with loaded mags in the caliber you need. 
Other than that, I have plastic storage bins of different sizes.  I try to use them to organize my mags.  Smaller tubs for AR10 mags or stuff like 30 carbine.  Gives me a place to story parts and other caliber/rifle specific stuff and they usually stack up decently.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »
For the past few days I've been looking online for DIY mag rack ideas, but finding very little. On the other hand, Lockdown makes a rack for AR mags that only costs about $20, so maybe it's just not worth building one. I guess I should check the local hardware store for tool racks. Might find something there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 11:51:03 PM »
Just load them up and surround yourself with the them.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 08:14:44 AM »
Just load them up and surround yourself with the them.

You mean like a fort built of mags? That would be awesome!  :laugh:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 09:05:37 AM »
Just mount them on 1/2" steel plate or sheets of bullet resistant wall board.

I wonder how many layers of hardiplank it would take to stop most bullets?  Found a few youtube videos to watch.

Not sure how great this test is.  I would have liked to see them double up the hardiplank layers on the wall sections.  See how many they would have to stack for the wall to stop a bullet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03nmcdNxnlU

Here is a bullet resistant drywall panel test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4ZD8TWULs
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 09:55:35 AM »

Brad

The box is made by KIS. It's the 11 litre (11.9 qt).

Measurements:
Gross Overall External including lid: 10.25W x 14.125L x 7.5H
Interior Top: 9.0W x 11.25L
Interior Bottom: 8.0W x 10.5L

No idea where I got mine. It was in the garage and it worked, so I used it. A bit of cursory searching shows that it's still available, at least from Amazon. Only caveat is that it ships from the UK. Not an issue other than the delay. Also, I mentioned the box would hold mags stacked five high. What I should have said is I have my mags stacked five high. The box would easily hold seven high, maybe even eight.

Looks like most totes/bins in the 12 qt size are roughly the same dimensions, the diff mainly being squatty and wide vs tall and slender. I measured my pmags at 7.5" OAL so I guess any box with that minimum width would work.

Brad
-HankB