Author Topic: New Pixar "Up" trailer out...  (Read 3695 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
New Pixar "Up" trailer out...
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:05:26 PM »
...and it's got a zeppelin in it! With what sounds like Christopher Plummer as its commander. And what looked like Angel Falls.

This looks like another winner. Very much so.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/up.html?showVideo=1
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:12:32 PM by Manedwolf »

jackdanson

• friend
Re: New Pixar "Up" trailer out...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »
Saw the preview at The Watchmen (which was mediocre, IMHO).  Looked like something I would secretly want my wife to "force" me to see.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:25:38 PM »
Saw the preview at The Watchmen (which was mediocre, IMHO).  Looked like something I would secretly want my wife to "force" me to see.

Ha! I got grandkids best "excuse" in the world for things like that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 12:05:36 AM »
I love Doug the Dog.  "Squirrel!" =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 02:28:52 PM »
It's great to see a group of film makers who retain such dedication for making A Really GOOD Movie!.  From the looks of it Up will be yet another smash hit from Pixar, one that truly deserves the accolades it will no doubt receive.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »
Hopefully they can skip all the hippie bs "evil hoomans are raping Mother Gaiea" crap Wall-E had.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »
I'm hoping that, too.

I'm going to let my niece and nephew talk me into seeing it when it comes out.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 03:24:10 PM »
I'm hoping that, too.

I'm going to let my niece and nephew talk me into seeing it when it comes out.   =D

My wife loves teh Pixar somethin fierce, so I'm sure to see it a couple times.  =) I like Pixar, don't get me wrong. The (seeming) political slant of Wall-E just vexed me. I don't like people propagandizing kids (hai 2U Bambi).

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
Hopefully they can skip all the hippie bs "evil hoomans are raping Mother Gaiea" crap Wall-E had.

I hated that part of Wall-E as well. I wanted to hate Wall-E for that reason.

Then I saw the director saying: "We needed some way to get humans off the earth. The garbage wasn't the message, it was just the means to remove humans."

As much as I hated that idea, I have to admit, it's a better choice than nuclear war.

The message of Wall-E was the disconnection of society from the "real" and the phsyical for the virtual.

I thought that was a good message.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 03:31:40 PM »
Yeah, I've seen that quote as well. 1. I don't really believe it 2. Whatever their real intent, the actual message was different. Well, that part of the message anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »
I think it can be forgiven, since Incredibles had such an Objectivism subtext. =)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 03:47:12 PM »
Good stuff, I shall be looking out for this one!
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »
Yeah, I've seen that quote as well. 1. I don't really believe it 2. Whatever their real intent, the actual message was different. Well, that part of the message anyway.

Well, I love Wall-E so I won't concede the point.

I do, however, understand how someone could misunderstand it.  :laugh:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong I love it too. I just dislike that aspect.  :laugh:

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »
I'm up for this flick. Have not seen Wall-E yet, though it is on my list.

And for no good reason my rankings of Pixar's films:

1) Toy Story
2) Monsters Inc
3) The Incredibles
4) Toy Story 2
5) A Bug's Life
6) Finding Nemo
7) Cars
8 ) Ratatouille

Monsters Inc. and The Incredibles are really close, maybe tied for second. Ratatouille though is ranked way too high at 8. As Pixar produces more films it will keep dropping down to it's proper place. When I do see Wall-E it only needs to be be okay in order for it to drop Rat into ninth.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
Are you kidding? Ratatouille was one of the BEST. It was a proper film, way beyond things for kids.

The whole thing was basically Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential brought to life. Even the "pirate crew" in the kitchen.

And the dialogue...was brilliant.

Waiter: [taking Ego's order] Do you know what you'd like this evening, sir?

Anton Ego: Yes, I think I do. After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Waiter: With what, sir?

Anton Ego: Perspective. Fresh out, I take it?

Waiter: I am, uh...

Anton Ego: Very well. Since you're all out of perspective and no one else seems to have it in this bloody town, I'll make you a deal. You provide the food, I'll provide the perspective, which would go nicely with a bottle of Cheval Blanc 1947.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »
I don't remember most of the movie...just that rats do not belong in a kitchen. Call me shallow but I cannot get past that.

The only scene that I recall fondly is a shot of Anton from above in his flat as he thinks and the space is shown to be coffin shaped. Hence Anton's life is as dead as his soul. His release was when the Rat served up a plate of Ratatouille blahblahblah...so that bit was clever.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:23 AM »
Sorry folks, but I'm going to have to admit to finding Wall-E great. Yes, the "ooman's destroyed the earf!" thing kinda sucked, but it played well to me: not only in "getting rid of the humans", but in giving you a way of connecting with Wall-E (the whole begining, where he's collecting stuff)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)