Author Topic: Ruger getting into the AR market  (Read 3653 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Ruger getting into the AR market
« on: May 15, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »
The new SR-556

Wouldn't mind having one if it's imbued with Ruger's legendary reliability, though an MSRP of $1995 makes it a bit pricey.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marvin Dao

Re: Ruger getting into the AR market
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:36:30 PM »
Pricing is inline with the S&W M&P15T which runs $1888 MSRP (or ~ $1400 retail pre-Obama). $100 or so more for a gas piston design, a pair of extra mags, and a Hogue pistol grip isn't too far out of line.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »
Is that magazine blocked so that it only holds ten rounds?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:48:56 PM »
I'd take that as a joke, Dick, but I know better.

If it's decent, and I find a deal on one, I might consider it. Although I've heard bad things about op-rod uppers not being as accurate (4 MOA as opposed to 2 or less)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »
I wonder if that's legal to hunt with over here...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
Piston uppers for ARs have one major problem - virtually every one is different!

Single-source for spares.  :|
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 08:07:37 PM »
Wonder where Ruger will put the integral lock?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »
Somewhere in hell Bill Ruger is spinning. Makes me smile.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
Maybe so, but it won't really be a Ruger unless it's got a trigger that gives "appalling" a bad names and includes a so-called "safety warning" nearly the size of the gun.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »
Does this mean that Ruger is admitting that the Mini-14 wasn't such a good idea after all?.... ???
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:59:49 PM »
Who's running the pool on when the recall is announced?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 11:07:42 PM »

I've got July!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »
Does this mean that Ruger is admitting that the Mini-14 wasn't such a good idea after all?.... ???

No.  It's Ruger saying they want to get into the AR-15 market.  If they thought the Mini-14 was a mistake, they'd have priced their AR-15 at a much lower level so that it would directly compete with it, then eventually kill off their Mini.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 11:20:07 PM »

3.5 weeks after release.

Something to do with the piston.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 06:44:59 AM »
It looks like a Sig 556 from the handguards forward. Gas valve adjust looks like it could be the same part.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »
If anyone can build an inaccurate overpiced Ar-15, Ruger can! :laugh:

Is that magazine blocked so that it only holds ten rounds?
No that's probably a magazine that Ruger will only sell to LEOs  :lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »
Here's Tam's take on it.

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2009/05/late-to-dance.html

Did you hear? Ruger's gone carbon-neutral. Yup, they've wrapped ol' Bill “No Honest Man Needs A Handgun Smaller Than A Canned Ham” Ruger Sr.'s corpse in copper wire and lined the coffin with magnets, and now the whole plant is off the grid. They've broken with Bill's mandates by offering us Simple Civilians a whole slew of new guns.

In the wake of their little Kel-Tec ripoff .380 and a polymer skinned revolver named the “L.C.R.” (after “W.T.F.” and “W.H.Y.” were discarded), Ruger has finally showed up fashionably late at the AR-15 party, about the time that most of the other attendees were already dancing in togas or vomiting in flowerpots with lampshades on their heads. Heck, even Remington and S&W had been there long enough to get wasted and go wading in the “Make A Wish” fountain with their ball gowns hiked up around their knees.

Ruger vowed to “redefine the platform”, and attempted to do this with a piston system, never mind that HK, POF, LWRC, Para, Bushhamster, and Greasy Joe's Dixie Bar & Grill had already done so.

On the plus side, the Ruger offering ships with quality third-party small bits from Troy, Magpul, and Hogue, as well as acknowledging the fact that most EBR shooters would like more than one magazine by throwing three P-Mags in the box. The downside is that all of that name-brand bling costs money and most AR buyers simply DX half the factory parts on the gun in favor of the contents of pages 63 through 101, inclusive, of the Brownell's catalog. An AR with a street price north of one-and-a-half long is nice, but only when you've picked out the toppings yourself.

I wish Ruger luck and all, but it wouldn't shock me if this all ends in tears...

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 02:51:26 PM »
Hrmm. Entering an overrepresented market with a new product that's really undifferentiated in the minds of the casual buyer, at a price point out of sorts with the reputation of the business.

A sure formula for success.  ;/

If Ruger had started pumping out "standard" m4-alikes that have reasonable reliability at a $700 price point, they'd own the world (figuratively) after a short time, even if doing so meant cast alloy uppers and investment cast steel lowers. But this? meh.

It's like watching Volkswagen introduce a $100,000 luxury car along the likes of the better Lexuses, Mercedes, and BMW models. OH WAIT, they did! And it flopped miserably too.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »
Hrmm. Entering an overrepresented market with a new product that's really undifferentiated in the minds of the casual buyer, at a price point out of sorts with the reputation of the business.

A sure formula for success.  ;/

They should put a crossbow on it.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
I can think of maybe 2 Rugers that weren't "Me Too!" offerings in well established markets, the Blackhawk and the Number One single shot.  Most of 'em, or their descendents, are going strong.  I 'spect the SR-556 will be with us for some time, or until banned.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »
The Mk 1 .22 was pretty innovative back in the day, wasn't it?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »
I 'spect the SR-556 will be with us for some time, or until banned.

I think you bring up a good point. As fun as it is to bash Ruger, if they grab a piece of the civillian EBR pie, they don'tsound likely that they will repeat past political mistakes. If only for that reason alone, I hope Ruger sells a lot of them. Gotta give them a little credit in that area.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »
Regardless of the quality of the gun, or how well it sells, isn't this a major step for Ruger, toward shedding the political funk left by the late Bill Ruger?  This is good news, folks. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 10:31:37 PM »
Maybe I'm jaded, being a Sig guy, but who the hell wants an over priced Ruger ripoff when you could just have the Sig 556 for roughly 400 bones less?? 

And I don't anticipate a pile of recalls on my sig....