Author Topic: Moving a lathe  (Read 3669 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: Moving a lathe
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 09:12:21 PM »
Been over thirty years but I still remember my friend getting a sleeve caught and a big wack to the head when he hit the chuck.

I was a machinist for many years never got more then some bumps and bruises and a bad back from it. Take that back I do still have some metal in my side that gets interesting question any time I get an X-ray.

Jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 11:38:14 PM »
Graphite, kind of interesting.  I have ended up with similar results when machining lots of cast iron.

Have an pictures, zahc?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
Not necessarily a bad thing to have to clean it- you will notice all the little problems etc.
I would not recommend hosing it off, unless you intend to completely dismantle it to further clean, dry and lube.
 The water will get everywhere, inside it. I did that with my mill, it had sat in a barn since WW2 and had sawdust, rat *expletive deleted*it and grease and chips on it an inch thick- I used a trowel to initially clean it, then a hose , then took it apart. Found a dead rat in the coolant reservoir.

Try a shop vac, a brush, and a few rolls of paper towels with some simple green.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 08:35:15 PM »
I have some pictures but I don't know how to attach them. I always get a message that the file size exceeds 3 bytes or whatever the limit is. I don't have any photo cloudy accounts.

I had a major diversion after I checked out the circuits and I kept measuring various resistance between the live legs and ground, when it should be almost infinite resistance between them. It turns out the cord was coiled up in the chip tray, and the plug prongs were contacting the tool every now and then. Derp.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:53:04 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 10:07:57 PM »
So far the worst I did was catch a file on a surface I wasn't aiming for. Acetal part, so three hours in the bin, but no other problem, my files have handles. I have no issue running large parts, but I am also never not scared of the lathe.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »
Lathe is a tool you respect. Always. Period.

Well, I guess a treadle or pole lathe is only likely to eat a relatively small piece of you, but I digress.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 11:43:06 PM »
I have some pictures but I don't know how to attach them. I always get a message that the file size exceeds 3 bytes or whatever the limit is. I don't have any photo cloudy accounts.

I had a major diversion after I checked out the circuits and I kept measuring various resistance between the live legs and ground, when it should be almost infinite resistance between them. It turns out the cord was coiled up in the chip tray, and the plug prongs were contacting the tool every now and then. Derp.

I use to use photobucket, but now use imgur.  No account needed, go upload some pictures, and "get share links" for each uploaded pic.  Even gives you the BB code.

Good on you for starting with some electrical sanity checks.  Few would.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
My mill has a 1942 electrical box about 18" square and a foot deep.  It looks like a laboratory prop from "Bride of Frankenstein" inside there. =)  Still works fine though.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »
I did that with my mill, it had sat in a barn since WW2 and had sawdust, rat *expletive deleted*it and grease and chips on it an inch thick- I used a trowel to initially clean it, then a hose , then took it apart. Found a dead rat in the coolant reservoir.

Flatbed truck, touch-free car wash.  Especially when you have sunny, 110+F Texas summer weather to help dry it on the way home.  We used to do this with various kinds of equipment the boss got "found in a barn" deals on.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »
Anyone know electrical codes?

I need a 240V receptacle. I already have a dedicated run of EMT with receptacles down the garage wall, on its own 20A/120V breaker. The very easy way to add a 240V receptacle at the end, would be to replace current single-pole breaker with a 2-pole, and run 1 additional wire to the end of the EMT run, and terminate with a 230V receptacle. This would then constitute a multi-wire branch circuit. However, I have never seen a 240V receptacle in any sort of shared circuit. I have always seen 240V receptacles on their own dedicated circuits. Is that just because 240V receptacles are relatively specialized in North America, and because 240V circuits are usually more than 20A, or is it actual code problem with mixing 240V and 120V receptacles in a circuit?

I can create a new circuit too, but I need to buy a 2-pole breaker and run 2 wires, and I'm running out of slots in my panel, and space in my 1/2" EMT. Seems overkill for a measly 8A load.

Edit: nevermind. Because the 120V receptacles are GFCI as required by code. It turns out the lathe cord is long enough to reach my homebrew system 30A/240V receptacle. So I'm just going to put a matching plug on the lathe and I won't be able to use the lathe while brewing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:21:13 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 08:08:49 AM »
Would it be feasible for you to replace your breaker panel with a larger one?  Is that something you feel comfortable taking on yourself?
If so, it would be a good project to "future proof" your place electrically speaking.  (Not that you don't have enough stuff on your project list already.  =D)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
A sub-panel is another, easier way to go. Remove one or two circuits from the existing panel, use that space to install a 30 or larger two pole to feed another small panel. Put the removed circuits & whatever new into the sub.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
Sub panel is not justified right now.

I read up more, and just for future reference, there is no code problem with mixing 240 and 120 receptacles on a circuit. It's just rare, because 240v 20A receptacles, especially ones whichare not for a dedicated appliance, are rare. Usually 240v appliances are on the list of things that require dedicated circuits.There is an enumerated list of appliances that require dedicated circuits, and lathe is not one of them, nor air compressor etc.

Furthermore 240V receptacles are exempt outright from any GFCI requirements, but 120V receptacles in garages are required to be GFCI.

If I made a MWBC with one leg GFCI/120V and the other one for 240V, it would trip the GFCI whenever the 240V was used due to how GFCI works. The 240V current would "look" like fault current to the GFCI.

I will use up 2 precious slots to make a dedicated 240V circuit for the garage. Oughta have one anyway. Then I will have 2 slots left in the panel, both of which will go the the mini-split AC unit I am installing. Some of the mini-split units are actually 120v, so I might only need 1 slot for the AC.

--Tallpine