Author Topic: New Video Card Reccomendations  (Read 3655 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
New Video Card Reccomendations
« on: May 25, 2005, 10:00:21 AM »
OK, looking to get a new video card.  Right now I have an ASUS 9600XT, and it just isn't cutting it anymore.  I'm trying to deccide between a 6600GT and a 6800.  Any reccomendations one way or the other?  This is going to be an AGP card, I'm not rich enough to swap out my mobo yet to go to PCI-E.

I am not going to get another ATI card.  Had 2, this one and a 9800 Pro.  Both have given me nothing but problems.  The X700 and 800 are out of the question.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 10:14:44 AM »
What sort of issues are you having with the ATI cards?  I run an ATI AiW 9600XT on my media machine and it works great.  Same with the Radeon 9000 Mobility on my laptop.  The trick I've found is to dump the ATI drivers and use those from OmegaDrivers.Net

I can't comment on the Nvidia cards, but this site (http://www.tcmagazine.info/articles.php?action=show&id=121&perpage=1&pagenum=8) seems to favor the 6600GT over the 6800, at least in dual card setups.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:10:04 AM »
Just driver issues.  I've tried the Omega drivers, just don't care much for any of them.  The 9600 is just slow on some games, that is why it is getting replaced.

Right now I am looking at the MSI 6600GT with VIVO for $193, and the Leadtek 6800 for $189.  I kinda like the VIVO, so that may be the winning factor, but the 6800 supposedly has unlockable pipes, giving it potentially much more performance.

DigMe

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 08:07:25 PM »
Doesn't matter too much at the moment about the PCI-e as AGP is still faster since the games aren't yet taking advantage of PCI-e..when they do though it's going to be sweet.

brad cook

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 09:20:40 PM »
What is bugging me though, is the PCI-E cards are cheaper.  If I were building a whole new system, I'd definitely go PCI-E

Sean Smith

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 04:43:23 AM »
I have a 6800 GT, it is a pretty sweet piece of hardware.  Prices on them have dropped quite a bit, you might want to consider one since it is alot faster than either the 6800 or the 6600 GT.  The 6600 GT and 6800 are about the same performance-wise, so just pick the one that you can get the best deal on.  nVidia video cards just seem to be better supported by games and have more stable drivers with better OpenGL support, some games simply would not work right with ATI (e.g. Knights of the Old Republic), but I never saw that with nVidia hardware.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 07:10:42 AM »
Right now, the 6800GT are just too much for me.  If I could get one down around the $250 mark, with rebates or on sale or whatever got it down there, I'd probably go for it.  But it appears they start at about $300, and I just don't want to put that much in.

Right now it is looking more and more like the 6600GT, and the VIVO isn't hurting either.

DigMe

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 07:36:41 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Right now, the 6800GT are just too much for me.  If I could get one down around the $250 mark, with rebates or on sale or whatever got it down there, I'd probably go for it.  But it appears they start at about $300, and I just don't want to put that much in.

Right now it is looking more and more like the 6600GT, and the VIVO isn't hurting either.
If you're willing to be patient you might find some kind of a decent deal by watching www.techbargains.com and www.slickdeals.net

brad cook

DigMe

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 08:44:18 AM »
I just searched www.shopzilla.com for "geforce 6800 GT" and apparently you can get the 128 mb ASUS model at zipzoomfly and newegg for under $200 bucks.

brad cook

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 09:45:04 AM »
DigMe, just tried that.  Got excited, only to find that when you clicked on the product link, turns out it is the 6600GT Sad (even thought the search pages lists it as a 6800).  I like those other two links, though.  Wish I knew about them earlier, I see I missed out on 2G of Geil ram for $130.

Sean - forgot about the refurbs.  Off to look some more.

DigMe

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 12:12:32 PM »
jef - GAH!  Sorry about that...not sure why but shopzilla occasionally links to the wrong product like that.  I didn't click on them...just saw them listed.  Sorry to get your hopes up.

brad cook