Author Topic: James Earl Jones, RIP  (Read 355 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
James Earl Jones, RIP
« on: September 09, 2024, 05:12:32 PM »
James Earl Jones passed away at 93.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/national/james-earl-jones-actor-and-voice-of-darth-vader-dies/?fbclid=IwY2xjawFMQ1xleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHVINY1fzkJkys7_q9G9iEpBFB4mgF6TdHmy-1t3GxjcRt7kowNVyr94TkQ_aem_3uKe5XPdOUBV2F_WIlFAkw

For someone born with a stutter, he left a hell of a legacy with his voice alone. Never mind the breadth and depth of his acting career. RIP.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: James Earl Jones, RIP
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 05:14:55 PM »
One of the greats, he will be missed
RIP
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 05:47:45 PM »
RIP

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 06:06:24 PM »
Enter TBB

God Announces He Will Now Be Voiced By James Earl Jones
https://babylonbee.com/news/god-announces-he-will-now-be-voiced-by-james-earl-jones
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 07:11:25 PM »
TBB does another great one.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2024, 07:46:13 AM »
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2024, 08:19:34 AM »
A Michigander and a fine man from all reports.  RIP, sir.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2024, 09:23:30 AM »
One of my favorite actors.  And what an iconic voice.  He will be missed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2024, 09:31:38 AM »
  And what an iconic voice.

There's YT videos with Vader's original voice, totally different effect

From Wiki

n 1977, Jones made his debut in his iconic voiceover role as Darth Vader in George Lucas' space opera blockbuster film Star Wars: A New Hope, which he would reprise for the sequels The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983). Darth Vader was portrayed in costume by David Prowse in the film trilogy, with Jones dubbing Vader's dialogue in postproduction because Prowse's strong West Country accent was deemed unsuitable for the role by director George Lucas.[47] At his own request, Jones was uncredited for the release of the first two Star Wars films,[48] though he would be credited for the third film and eventually also for the first film's 1997 "Special Edition" re-release.[49] As he explained in a 2008 interview:

When Linda Blair did the girl in The Exorcist, they hired Mercedes McCambridge to do the voice of the devil coming out of her. And there was controversy as to whether Mercedes should get credit. I was one who thought no, she was just special effects. So when it came to Darth Vader, I said, no, I'm just special effects. But it became so identified that by the third one, I thought, OK I'll let them put my name on it.[48]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Earl_Jones
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2024, 03:34:00 PM »
No, he did NOT say "Luke, I am your father."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1fIH6GMIJg
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2024, 08:03:41 PM »
https://youtu.be/RaA4ll4CoZw?si=DEBpXf_2OFOF-liS

At the 1993 MLB All Star game, James Earl Jones recited the National Anthem.  Yes, it's as good as you would imagine.

Little known is that he served in the US Army before breaking into acting.  ROTC, commissioned as an Infantry Officer.  If memory serves, he earned his Ranger tab.

Rest easy, sir.  And thank you.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2024, 03:12:51 PM »

At the 1993 MLB All Star game, James Earl Jones recited the National Anthem.  Yes, it's as good as you would imagine.

Little known is that he served in the US Army before breaking into acting.  ROTC, commissioned as an Infantry Officer.  If memory serves, he earned his Ranger tab.

Great find T.O.M.  Thanks !  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2024, 04:01:22 PM »

Thanks.  I heard it on another stream, but didn't locate it separately.  You saved me the trouble.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2024, 09:36:59 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife