Author Topic: Republicans do something right?  (Read 2185 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Republicans do something right?
« on: January 18, 2013, 10:53:10 PM »
http://budget.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=317187

WASHINGTON¬Earlier today, House Republicans announced a path forward on the nation’s near-term budget challenges. The 1974 Congressional Budget Act requires passage of a budget resolution by April 15 each year. Under Senator Harry Reid’s leadership, the Senate has refused to pass a budget for 1,360 days. As the Administration and Congress work through opportunities to cut government spending, there will be no consideration of a long-term debt-ceiling increase unless both the House and the Senate pass a long-term budget plan. The plan also includes a bipartisan proposal to withhold Senators’ salaries if they fail to pass a budget.

In response to the plan outlined by House Republican leaders, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan issued the following statement:

“I stand in strong support of the agreement reached by my colleagues today. Our conference has united around a common-sense proposal. It rests on the recognition that our challenge is twofold: We have to pay our bills today, and we have to make sure we can pay our bills tomorrow. To achieve both ends, we must cut spending and budget responsibly.

“Since taking the majority, House Republicans have done their job. We’ve passed a budget that promotes economic growth and gets spending under control. But for nearly four years, Senate Democrats have refused to pass a budget. Today’s agreement will hold the Senate accountable for this legal and moral failure. Just as April 15 is tax day for American families, it is budget day for Congress. Unless the Senate acts, there will be no consideration of a long-term debt-ceiling increase. I look forward to working with my colleagues—in both houses and in both parties—on this vital issue.”

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Republicans do something right?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 12:00:38 PM »
My prediction:
Much wailing and knashing of teeth from the Dem controlled Senate. The Party of No is being so unfair, hates women and minorities and kicks kittens.
Much wailing and knashing of teeth from Obama. The Party of No is being so unfair, hates women and minorities and kicks kittens.
Much wailing and knashing of teeth from the MSM. The Party of No is being so unfair, hates women and minorities and kicks kittens.
The Republican resolution wavers and they cave.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 12:17:52 PM »
Solvency is just around the corner.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:15 PM »

If they would just follow my plan, we could balance the budget by 2517.

This year's spending increases will be offset by spending reduction in the 22nd century.

:angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »
If they would just follow my plan, we could balance the budget by 2517.

This year's spending increases will be offset by spending reduction in the 22nd century.

:angel:

Would be so funny if it weren't so true.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 01:59:13 PM »
Was that put out by Cry-Baby Boehner or by someone like Paul Ryan that seemingly actually has a pair?
Formerly sumpnz

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »
The person who said it is mentioned in the OP... Paul Ryan
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
Doesn't say which corner though.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:41:11 AM »
Get back to me when spinelessrepublicans actually do what they say they'll do.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »
The House could de-fundCould.

Won't.

They refuse to take the heat, even with the future of America at stake.  The rest is flapdoodle.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 07:22:11 AM »
It seems their proposal is unconstitutional.  I suspect they knew that from the beginning.  A built-in cave.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »
It seems their proposal is unconstitutional.  I suspect they knew that from the beginning.  A built-in cave.
Unconstitutional? Where does the Constitution require the House to consider a debt-ceiling increase? Current receipts are sufficient to cover debt service ("Full faith and credit" etc.) as well as a number of other items, including Social Security retirement payments, Medicare, and military pay. It's when you get into the fuzzy stuff (like the trillion dollars a year we're spending on various welfare programs, funding other Solyndras, etc.) that we'd come up short.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
Not the debt ceiling, HankB.  The part of the deal where they would withhold congressional pay if a budget was not passed.  Read the fine print.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 05:28:27 AM »
Unconstitutional? Where does the Constitution require the House to consider a debt-ceiling increase? Current receipts are sufficient to cover debt service ("Full faith and credit" etc.) as well as a number of other items, including Social Security retirement payments, Medicare, and military pay. It's when you get into the fuzzy stuff (like the trillion dollars a year we're spending on various welfare programs, funding other Solyndras, etc.) that we'd come up short.
IIRC congress can't pass a law regarding their pay that goes into effect for the current congress. Pay changes can only take effect for the next congress.

This way they can't just give themselves an immediate pay raise, but I believe it works both ways.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 09:42:50 AM »
Changing your pay scale is not the same as withholding pay until services are rendered.  I think they ought to push through with this, even if it is unconstitutional it is going to bring a lot of focus down on the Senate and the fact that they have not passed a budget in 3.5 years.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
I just wish we could at least claw back the pay of the Senate Appropriations Comittee (or whichever is responsible for sending budgets to the floor) for the last 3.5 years.
Formerly sumpnz

birdman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
IIRC congress can't pass a law regarding their pay that goes into effect for the current congress. Pay changes can only take effect for the next congress.

This way they can't just give themselves an immediate pay raise, but I believe it works both ways.

It doesn't work both ways.  The power of the purse IS absolute in the constitution.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
The power of the purse IS absolute in the constitution.
Too bad republicans don't believe it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:08 AM »
It is going to take a REAL Tea Party to move the needle on this problem.  All the rest of it, by our public representatives, is feckless posturing.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.