Author Topic: Republican governors push welfare reform  (Read 1337 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Republican governors push welfare reform
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/republican-governors-push-to-reshape-welfare-programs-1418689290

Behind a paywall, but some interesting ideas regarding drug testing and medical cost-sharing with welfare or Medicaid recipients. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Republican governors push welfare reform
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:01:28 PM »
Clicky da first linky.  WSJ's paywall is set up to allow visitors from Google to see their full articles. 
https://www.google.com/search?q=Republican+Governors+Push+to+Reshape+Welfare+Programs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I can't see why it's unconstitutional to drug test people on welfare.  Must've missed that part of the constitution last time I read it.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 01:08:26 PM »
Clicky da first linky.  WSJ's paywall is set up to allow visitors from Google to see their full articles. 
https://www.google.com/search?q=Republican+Governors+Push+to+Reshape+Welfare+Programs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I can't see why it's unconstitutional to drug test people on welfare.  Must've missed that part of the constitution last time I read it.

You could argue that the idea of welfare in general is more anti-Constitutional than means or drug testing for it. At a Federal level of course, the states can do what they want.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »
My problem with drug testing welfare recipients is that they found that the drug testing cost more money than what they saved by kicking people off it.  Turns out welfare recipients use illegal drugs at a lower rate than the general population.

Citation, NY times - "State records showed that the requirement cost more money to carry out than it saved."

"Only 108 out of 4,086 people tested — 2.6 percent — were found to have been using narcotics." - Which is lower than the estimated 8.9% of the general population.  In the WSJ article, workers pop hot at 3.7%.

Keep in mind that I've heard that the wife of somebody important owns a good amount of stock in a drug testing company down there...  They'd probably save more money hiring some auditors to catch fraud ala signing up fake kids, multiple registrations, illegal aliens, and such.

I'd prefer to have 'work fare' rather than 'welfare', but as long as we're going to have it, we might as well keep it as economical as possible.  Bring back government cheese.  At least then we had food in the warehouses that were intended to be used to prevent famine in the case of widespread crop failures.  I like some of the reforms the governors are pushing, but find the drug testing irrelevant given the findings thus far.  I don't object to trying it, but keeping it is stupid given the data.  My process:  1.  Idea, seems reasonable.  2.  Try it.  Doesn't work.  3.  Rather than the usual government answer of 'keep doing it anyways, it's law!!!', get rid of it.

Don't forget that in most cases if you bring up ending welfare your opponents will start putting up pictures of the kids you'd 'starve'.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
Three questions regarding the NY times citation -

One, what panel of drugs was being tested for?  Were they *only* testing for narcotics?  Or were they using the term "narcotic" as representing all the illegal drugs being tested for?  Were they testing for the other commonly used/abused drugs other than narcotics?

Two, if they were testing for other drugs as well, I'm curious what the percentage was that popped hot for "other drugs" such as meth, and yes, I'm including marijuana in this as well - regardless of what your views on marijuana as a drug are, you shouldn't be getting high on my dime.  And yeah, I'd include alcohol and tobacco in that as well.  If you can afford booze and smokes, you can afford food.

Three, if they did test for other drugs, I wonder why the paper didn't report on that....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
Three questions regarding the NY times citation -

I just quoted it, I don't have the information you're asking for.  I wondered myself, because I know by sloppy reporting many will report 'narcotics testing' when they mean everything from heroin to cocaine to marijuana. 

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »
Sorry, Firethorn, I shoulda been more clear - was asking more rhetorically than anything else, didn't expect you to answer the question directly...  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy