Author Topic: Republican Debates  (Read 4852 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Republican Debates
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »
I didn't watch it.  Or any political debate.   Not a one of these people are worthy of my attention, let alone to lead the country.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 01:22:28 PM »
My prediction for 2016-

Trump does not get the nomination. Either Bush or Christie does.
Trump runs as a third party candidate.
Whichever POS the democrats put up gets elected.
The US goes full throttle into what is already an unrecoverable death spiral.
Fun and games ensue, sooner rather than later.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 02:03:08 PM »
When push comes to shove, what did they do?  Did they stick with their principles or compromise?  I am not sure how a debate really tests for that.

The only two that have actually done that are Rand Paul and Ted Cruz.  Both have filibustered (Patriot act and Obamacare), Cruz came out on the senate floor and call McConnell a liar.  Both have stood on principle and have pushed to kill bad legislation (Ex-Im bank, executive amnesty, obamacare, etc.) and worked to pass good legislation (Kate's Law, defund Planned Parenthood, repeal the CFPB, etc.)

Again, Ted Cruz has stood on principle and against the Washington Cartel as he calls it.  He's pissed off the establishment more time then I can count, and has taken the R leadership to task.  Smart, principled, and willing to put his money where his mouth is.   He's the only candidate that I have given money to, because I truly believe that he has the intestinal fortitude to reverse the decline of America.

ANd given what I've seen of Carly Fiorina, she would be an excellent VP (the VP is supposed to be the attack dog), she's also smart, principled, and can out-Trump the Donald when it comes to going after the press.

The rest of the field would make an excellent Cabinet for a Cruz/Fiorina ticket.  (Carson as Surgeon General, Christie as AG, Perry-DHS or Defense, Paul- Treasury,  Jindal- State, Trump- DHS, etc.) 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 02:11:58 PM »

The rest of the field would make an excellent Cabinet for a Cruz/Fiorina ticket.  (Carson as Surgeon General, Christie Charby as AG, Perry-DHS or Defense, Paul- Treasury,  Jindal- State, Trump- DHS, etc.) 

FIFY
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 02:13:42 PM »
I don't know that this has been mentioned before. Charles Gasparino, a Fox Business contributor (and IMO a rude, bloviating gasbag), is asserting that Trump is deliberately acting as a spoiler for the Clintons. He bases his argument on Trump's history with the Clintons and  his having a phone conversation with Bill shortly before announcing. He claims Trump's motivation may be expectation of major quid pro quo if Hillary is elected. This makes sense if his real intention is to mount a superficial independent campaign to siphon votes like a Perot or Nader candidacy.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »
The only two that have actually done that are Rand Paul and Ted Cruz.  Both have filibustered (Patriot act and Obamacare), Cruz came out on the senate floor and call McConnell a liar.  Both have stood on principle and have pushed to kill bad legislation (Ex-Im bank, executive amnesty, obamacare, etc.) and worked to pass good legislation (Kate's Law, defund Planned Parenthood, repeal the CFPB, etc.)

Again, Ted Cruz has stood on principle and against the Washington Cartel as he calls it.  He's pissed off the establishment more time then I can count, and has taken the R leadership to task.  Smart, principled, and willing to put his money where his mouth is.   He's the only candidate that I have given money to, because I truly believe that he has the intestinal fortitude to reverse the decline of America.

ANd given what I've seen of Carly Fiorina, she would be an excellent VP (the VP is supposed to be the attack dog), she's also smart, principled, and can out-Trump the Donald when it comes to going after the press.

The rest of the field would make an excellent Cabinet for a Cruz/Fiorina ticket.  (Carson as Surgeon General, Christie as AG, Perry-DHS or Defense, Paul- Treasury,  Jindal- State, Trump- DHS, etc.)  

This standard of "deeds not words" here completely overlooks Walker. He went through YEARS of hell, the protest mobs, the media coverage, people seeking out and following his family around, and blocking streets in front of his family's personal residence. And the entire national union and Democratic operative establishment went gunning for him, plus the years of the rogue Milwaukee DA doing four years of John Doe (WI's version of a Grand Jury) investigation on him.

He (with the state GOP legislature of course) took a look at the HEART of the statist liberal government serpent, the unionized bureaucracy and leveled a spear and ran straight down it's throat, and won.

In terms of actually DOING something to look the Left square in the eye, and kick it right in the balls, he's operating in terms of action and Honeybadger at the level level Donald Trump so far only does in words.

Honestly, I'm worried about losing him as governor to the GOP nomination, with the feckless GOP Congress, I'm worried he'll be stymied and wasted potential as POTUS, unlike the WI state legislature with whom he's got a good working relationship.

I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 02:24:07 PM »
This standard of "deeds not words" here completely overlooks Walker. He went through YEARS of hell, the protest mobs, the media coverage, people seeking out and following his family around, and blocking streets in front of his family's personal residence. And the entire national union and Democratic operative establishment went gunning for him, plus the years of the rogue Milwaukee DA doing four years of John Doe (WI's version of a Grand Jury) investigation on him.

He (with the state GOP legislature of course) took a look at the HEART of the statist liberal government serpent, the unionized bureaucracy and leveled a spear and ran straight down it's throat, and won.

In terms of actually DOING something to look the Left square in the eye, and kick it right in the balls, he's operating in terms of action and Honeybadger at the level level Donald Trump so far only does in words.

I totally agree, but as you've said several times, he'd be better staying on as WI Governor, then in the Oval Office.  I also thinks he'd be a good Pres or VP, should Cruz not be the one to get the nod.  I'd put him at Labor or HHS or Agriculture (yes it's a replay of Tommy Thompson for Bush) and appoint the rest to begin dismantling HHS, DHS, Labor, HUD, Education, Energy, etc.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
I don't know that this has been mentioned before. Charles Gasparino, a Fox Business contributor (and IMO a rude, bloviating gasbag), is asserting that Trump is deliberately acting as a spoiler for the Clintons.

I heard this as well (and also agree with you on Gasparino). My thought all along has been that Trump has been in this for Trump and the Trump money machine, and his stupid non-answers last night only confirm it more for me. The Clinton angle (putting my tinfoil on) is certainly interesting - especially given his past associations with them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 02:38:08 PM »
I still just want to be Secretary of the Interior so I can have an excuse to spend all my time in National Parks and get paid for it.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »
It's a shame Trump is mostly the only one showing any alpha traits out of such a large field.

Cruz has had some moments and I mostly agree with him.

Walker has disappeared into the woodwork. Maybe it's his strategy to lay low early on. He does seem to be a leader by the way he has conducted himself in Wisconsin. Yes I know he sucks on illegal immigration but he's pretty good on most everything else.

The others just aren't viable or in my mind have already disqualified themselves.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
Found this:  http://2016.republican-candidates.org/

Looks like some of the Candidates weren't invited to the debates.  I think a debate of just third tier candidates would have been great theater.  [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »
Need input from the history buffs -

When was the last debate between presidential candidates that came to blows?  And who won?

Then I'll open the question up to all candidates for any office.  (please cite)

Which is how I think being picked as the way for political parties to select their candidates from among all the folks lining up, and then between the political parties for the office up for election.

The bureaucrats are going to keep the country running pretty much as it has always run regardless of who sits in the big chair.

Jaded?  Who, me?

stay safe.

"Presidential Candidate Meelee Knife Fight"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Republican Debates
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »
I don't think it is hard to win as a Republican in Texas especially if no one more conservative challenges.  I was trying to remember if he ever had any interesting challengers and none come to mind.  The state was in transition when W. Bush was Gov, but by the time Perry ran, the state was pretty solid Republican. 
Perry was only a sure thing in retrospect.  Dems ran all types against him and he beat them like a drum.

I disagree with perry on some serious issues but he is a serious campaigner and he did some serious and signif8cant things for texas.

His 2012 run was impaired.  Do not campaign after major back surgery while on heavy pain meds.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
I am surprised he hasn't played up his personal record more, though; his life is as nearly the perfect Conservative as anyone could ask for.  Eagle Scout and father of another Eagle, high school quarterback, USAF Captain...

Wrong. A real conservative would have served in the military at some point.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
Re: Re: Republican Debates
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
His 2012 run was impaired.  Do not campaign after major back surgery while on heavy pain meds.

You're talking about a guy who combines a morning jog with a coyote hunt, and only takes an LCP along.  Pretty sure he likes a challenge.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 04:45:31 PM »
Wrong. A real conservative would have served in the military at some point.

Your close air support is going to be getting a little closer than you like soon...

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 05:55:06 PM »
My prediction for 2016-

:facepalm:
Gawd, I hope not!!
But I'm buying more ammunition (again) just in case. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

JN01

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2015, 09:48:03 PM »
Need input from the history buffs -

When was the last debate between presidential candidates that came to blows?  And who won?

It was Bill Clinton.  Oh, wait, that wasn't during a debate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
It was Bill Clinton.  Oh, wait, that wasn't during a debate.

That's hard to swallow  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

JN01

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2015, 09:53:59 PM »

Kasich: Lied - again! - about balancing the Federal budget. (National debt increased every year the budget was "balanced" . . . you just can't have a "balanced budget" let alone a surplus when you finish the year deeper in the hole than you started. And . . . didn't he vote for the Clinton AWB?)

He did vote for the AWB but has been a staunch supporter of gun rights in Ohio.  He is still an arrogant, my way or the highway kind of guy- like Obama.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »
Obama proved that with his campaign of smoke and mirrors... I mean hope and change. Few specifics (and what specifics he offered were lies) but lots of hokum and feel-goodism.

And phones. Don't forget the Obamaphones.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2015, 11:53:33 PM »
My prediction for 2016-

The US goes continues at full throttle into what is already an unrecoverable death spiral.

Fixed
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2015, 12:52:18 AM »
My brother had a good line, talking about the de-bates on the book of faces

The only reason I can think of would be to watch Christie and Trump go at it mano-a-mano. I would watch if Christie promised to swallow Trump's head in one gulp.

Made my incision area hurt.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2015, 07:00:48 PM »

After declaring that the "Republican candidates are all a bunch of goody two shoes", my *expletive deleted*ing moronic sister then  said that she really wants to to vote for Joe "Fire Two Rounds Into The Air" Biden.*

"Because, like, the Democrats are all about the Little People, Womyn's Rights, and Education!"...right, so that makes you want to vote for the guy that makes Obama look good. The same guy who is a worse candidate than a potato.

And she's going to be a teacher so that she can poison every class that she teaches with her liberal bullshit that she reads all the time in Huffpo/Salon and on clickbait bullshit websites...with logic like hers widespread there is only one way this country is headed, and it ain't for prosperity...

*not that he's got a chance in hell should he run but whichever Dem gets the nomination she will vote for. She just favors him as the first choice.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:13:45 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 12:46:40 AM »

(this is NOT an endorsement)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden