Author Topic: Michigan school’s blue turf field may cost Detroit Lions executive his house.  (Read 1826 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/michigan-school-blue-turf-field-may-cost-detroit-180509321.html

School wants to put new artificial blue turf on its athletic field.  District goes to voters to finance it and voters say NO.  So five (5) families put up their homes as collateral for a $400,000 one (1) year loan.  Loan is now coming due and the district has only raised $100,000 to pay off the loan.

Wow, I don't know what to say...
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Imagine if they put one fourth of that amount into books.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

zxcvbob

• friend
A one year loan?  They never intended to pay it back; they are trying to guilt the community into bailing them out after the bond was rejected.  Screw 'em.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/michigan-school-blue-turf-field-may-cost-detroit-180509321.html

School wants to put new artificial blue turf on its athletic field.  District goes to voters to finance it and voters say NO.  So five (5) families put up their homes as collateral for a $400,000 one (1) year loan.  Loan is now coming due and the district has only raised $100,000 to pay off the loan.

"Sucks to be them."

=D
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends

[nelson] Ha HA[/nelson]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
Blue turf is an abomination unto god.

Edit: Also, how the hell does a Detroit Lions executive not have the cash to pay that $400,000 loan out of pocket? I knew the Detroit Lions were hard up, but damn...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

eyebrows

• friend
Using your house as collateral for your kids school costs = marginally acceptable.
Doing it for a blue football field = dumb.

Slightly off topic, did you know that astroturf fields are regularly sanitized?
They use UV light now but used to use a combination of 8+ chemicals. Yesterday  I met the guy who invented the UV method, nice guy and he told me more about astroturf maintence then I needed to know. 

SADShooter

• friend
Using your house as collateral for your kids school costs = marginally acceptable.
Doing it for a blue football field = dumb.

Slightly off topic, did you know that astroturf fields are regularly sanitized?

They use UV light now but used to use a combination of 8+ chemicals. Yesterday  I met the guy who invented the UV method, nice guy and he told me more about astroturf maintence then I needed to know. 

Entirely on-topic, did you know that local school boards are not regularly sanitized? I'm thinking they probably ought to be.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
I love how the superintendent is making these fidiots out to be martyrs.

"This was all done for the sake of the kids," Oxford School Board superintendent William Skilling told the Press. "That tells you a lot about the type of people that put up those houses and the kind of people we have here in our town. The school board will do everything we can do to support the community-wide effort to raise the funds needed."
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"Overwhelming or not, the current support may not be enough to save Reis or Keenist's homes, leaving others to marvel in the sacrifice that a small group of families has made for the greater benefit of the community."

Hum...

Pardon me while I opine (somewhat obscenely)...

Just how in the *expletive deleted* does blue turf on the local *expletive deleted* football field contribute to the greater benefit of the community?

Does it cure cancer?

Does it feed the hungry or cloth the naked?

What the three fingered flying *expletive deleted* were these idiots thinking?

The ONLY thing that it "served the greater good of" was the EGOS of a small cadre of people who thought that blue field turf would be distinctive and neat looking.

I'm sorry, but if anyone ever deserved to lose a home, it's these people! Talk about poor life choices!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Schadenfreude like this is what's kept me warm through this long cold Obama winter of discontent.

The only thing that would have made this better would have been if this story were taking place in Texas or Oklahoma, where High School football and small-town culture/politics are even more inextricably linked.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Schadenfreude like this is what's kept me warm through this long cold Obama winter of discontent.

The only thing that would have made this better would have been if this story were taking place in Texas or Oklahoma, where High School football and small-town culture/politics are even more inextricably linked.

In Texas, the town would have approved the bond.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
In Texas, the town would have approved the bond.
But probably not for blue turf.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
People took out loans using their homes as collateral so a high school could get $400,000 worth of blue fake grass for their athletic field . . .  :facepalm:

Fake grass.

Blue fake grass.

Four. Hundred. Thousand. Dollars. MUCH more than an average house, in most of the country.

Rejected - rightly!! - by voters.

And they still proceed. (I smell payoffs or kickbacks.)

"Da stoopid, it hurtz."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
"Da stoopid, it hurtz."

I certainly hope it does  :rofl:

In a twist, one of those donors also happens to be Detroit Lions senior vice president for communications Bill Keenist.

Ah, communications. I bet he skipped all of those 'hard' classes in college which included the use of basic math and finance.
 :facepalm:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
Imagine if they put one fourth of that amount into books.

I'm, guessing that the people who put up the money for the field had 'football' aged kids in school. I'm also guessing that books weren't their thing. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
Wait, wait, wait.  Y'uns  are not getting it.  This is FOR THE CHILDREN for land's sake, FOR THE CHILDREN. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Waitone

• friend
There is more to this than just mind-bending stupidity.  My inner cynic is mumbling something about impending bankruptcy and the like.  I'll keep you posted if he clears up his thoughts.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I'm sure this article was intended to garner sympathy for the families who may be losing their homes...

Yeah, I just double and triple checked: not finding any.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
It also possible one or more have the money to pay for it, but didn't want to pay for all of it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge