Author Topic: The worst job in American politics.  (Read 649 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The worst job in American politics.
« on: October 08, 2018, 01:57:14 AM »
Governor of Illinois.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/10/05/pritzker-rauner-illinois-governor-2018-221079

As anyone will tell you, it really doesn't matter who it is.  Mike Madigan runs this state.  His policies are what rules.  The governor is simply there to be the fall guy.   Pritzker will sign anything Madigan passes, and then when it kills this state's economy, he'll go back to his inherited billions and the people of this state will be screwed.

We used to have a flat 3%, then we had a temporary 5% that was supposed to reduce the budget and fund pensions.  It didn't, but the legislature passed all kinds of new spending to suck up the windfall. It then expired, only because Rauner was elected and Madigan couldn't get him to be a patsy and sign an extension.  So then they passed a 4.95% flat tax, and several R's defected to override Rauner's veto.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now they want a progressive tax, like this:

House Bill 3522 – known as the Fiscally Responsible Illinois Entering New Days and Leaving Yesterday, or FRIENDLY, Act, proposes the following income tax rates:

4 percent for income between $0-$7,500
    5.84 percent for income between $7,500-$15,000
    6.27 percent for income between $15,000-$225,000
    7.65 percent for income above $225,000

This plan, which is estimated to raise an additional $3.6 billion, is a 21 percent income tax increase.

Will the $3.6 billion go toward fixing the budget and pension problems.....Nahhhh.   Just more money to spend on pet projects to buy more votes.

This state is so boned...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The worst job in American politics.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
Governor of Illinois.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/10/05/pritzker-rauner-illinois-governor-2018-221079

As anyone will tell you, it really doesn't matter who it is.  Mike Madigan runs this state.  His policies are what rules.  The governor is simply there to be the fall guy.   Pritzker will sign anything Madigan passes, and then when it kills this state's economy, he'll go back to his inherited billions and the people of this state will be screwed.

We used to have a flat 3%, then we had a temporary 5% that was supposed to reduce the budget and fund pensions.  It didn't, but the legislature passed all kinds of new spending to suck up the windfall. It then expired, only because Rauner was elected and Madigan couldn't get him to be a patsy and sign an extension.  So then they passed a 4.95% flat tax, and several R's defected to override Rauner's veto.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now they want a progressive tax, like this:

Will the $3.6 billion go toward fixing the budget and pension problems.....Nahhhh.   Just more money to spend on pet projects to buy more votes.

This state is so boned...

I keep encouraging my family to leave the state behind...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »
Fiscally Responsible Illinois Entering New Days and Leaving Yesterday, or FRIENDLY, Act

Orwellian.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
Orwellian.

Orwellian or not, the "Cutesy Acronym" thing is monumentally annoying.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought