Author Topic: Discrimination: it's ok when we do it  (Read 1552 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Discrimination: it's ok when we do it
« on: January 17, 2015, 02:48:37 PM »
http://outfrontonline.com/news/pro-lgbt-baker-slapped-religious-discrimination-complaint/#.VLqpXW9jbAc.facebook

Man goes to pro-homo Colorado bakery, requests fairly benign cake with anti-sodomy messaging. Baker refuses, gets sued for discrimination. Leagues of social justice warriors descend to justify why their form of hate and discrimination is ok. The comments are hilarious.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Discrimination: it's ok when we do it
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »
Something I had not thought of before, from reading the comments: would it be discriminatory to refuse to make a cake requested to have Nazi or KKK symbols on it?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:14:53 PM »
If we don't force bakers to bake cakes for bents and kluxers(1), the terrorists will have won.

===============================

Given empirical evidence we have all seen in the news, I have come to the conclusion that decriminalized homosexuality and the First Amendment are incompatible.  IOW, decriminalized homosexuality is corrosive to civil and natural rights.  Pretty much a particular case of the general case that democracy & prosperity plant the seeds of their own destruction.

(1) Bent kluxers qualify for a 15% discount.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:47:10 PM »
Something I had not thought of before, from reading the comments: would it be discriminatory to refuse to make a cake requested to have Nazi or KKK symbols on it?

Of course not. It would be taking a stand against injustice and racism and teh pay-tree-arkey, and all other macro and micro-aggressions.

Also, I'm upset that your post was not preceded by a trigger warning.  :'(

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 11:23:14 AM »

Of course not. It would be taking a stand against injustice and racism and teh pay-tree-arkey, and all other macro and micro-aggressions.

Also, I'm upset that your post was not preceded by a trigger warning.  :'(

What trigger  warning would be appropriate?

NSFSCM? *

* Not Safe For Straight Christian Makes
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 11:52:10 AM »
What trigger  warning would be appropriate?

NSFSCM? *
Shouldn't they put that label on the Democratic Party?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 12:41:27 PM »

Given empirical evidence we have all seen in the news, I have come to the conclusion that decriminalized homosexuality and the First Amendment are incompatible. 

Please elaborate.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 02:09:47 PM »
What trigger warning would be appropriate?

You monster! If you're going to use words like "tr**ger," you should put some kind of warning on it. The word "tr**ger" reminds me of all the people murdered by the NRA, and how much it traumatizes me to think of it. Also, "tr**ger" sounds like "n**ger," which also traumatizes me, because I heard a mean may say it once, in a movie.

Check yur privilige.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 02:18:38 PM »
Please elaborate.

Indeed.  We have to face the fact that there will always be those attempting to challenge the first amendment.  Generally on BOTH sides of any coin.

Roo_ster, remember that things generally make the news because they're unusual and/or titillating.  I figure that 99% of the time this sort of stuff is handled quietly whether it's a pro or anti-gay bakery.  Most of the time BOTH aren't aholes.

If the bakery is the 'ahole' and refuses, often the client isn't and simply goes elsewhere.  If the bakery isn't stuck-up, they bake the darn cake per the customer's request and the customer doesn't have anything they can go to the news to show their butthurt off over.

Given the news about what happened to the anti-gay bakery, if I was a pro-gay bakery I'd be on the lookout for stuff like this.  Yes, I'd give them their darn cake.  I'd probably give the KKK a cake.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »
Oh, the parallel between the "well-dressed gentleman" and the recent in-your-face 2A demonstrators just jumps out at me.  As well as the Westboro Baptist Church "funeral demonstrators."  

Pushy, pushy, pushy immature aholes.

The (apparently) requested writings on the cake probably would have violated my own principles of good taste and I probably would have refused as well on that ground.  I might not even have offered to let him use the squishy pastry lettering thing to write his own message, and probably just 86ed him.  (And the gay community has a pretty good lawyer base to fall back on.  Probably no trouble finding pro bono representation up the yin-yang on this matter.)

But is it time to have the principles of "good taste" versus "bad taste" codified into law?

ETA:  Oh, Jeeze, maybe I shouldn't have used the term "up the yin-yang."  Apologies.  It was in poor taste.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:07:03 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 08:09:47 PM »

You monster! If you're going to use words like "tr**ger," you should put some kind of warning on it. The word "tr**ger" reminds me of all the people murdered by the NRA, and how much it traumatizes me to think of it. Also, "tr**ger" sounds like "n**ger," which also traumatizes me, because I heard a mean may say it once, in a movie.

Check yur privilige.

You used it first! I was so traumatized by your unwarned use of a call for warning that I was too paralyzed to post the warning that you should have posted.

Nyah, nyah.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »
Their argument seems to boil down to "It's okay to discriminate against discriminators." 

Hats off to the well dressed gentlemen.  I would contribute to his legal fees and urge him to continue on in his quest. 

Nothing like watching SJW's being hoist upon their own petard.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 02:46:24 AM »
Their argument seems to boil down to "It's okay to discriminate against discriminators." 

Hats off to the well dressed gentlemen.  I would contribute to his legal fees and urge him to continue on in his quest. 

Nothing like watching SJW's being hoist upon their own petard.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I actually predicted exactly this sort of thing (on this forum iirc) when the decided to start persecuting Christians with these silly accommodation laws.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 07:33:32 AM »
I actually predicted exactly this sort of thing (on this forum iirc) when the decided to start persecuting Christians with these silly accommodation laws.

You mean there are other forums out on the interwebs?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »
Given empirical evidence we have all seen in the news, I have come to the conclusion that decriminalized homosexuality and the First Amendment are incompatible.  IOW, decriminalized homosexuality is corrosive to civil and natural rights.  Pretty much a particular case of the general case that democracy & prosperity plant the seeds of their own destruction.

Empiricism? Really?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner