Author Topic: I Think I'm Done With 3-D Movies a.k.a. Tron Sucks  (Read 6496 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
I Think I'm Done With 3-D Movies a.k.a. Tron Sucks
« on: December 30, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
Saw Tron:Legacy last night and not even the 3D (lame anyway) could save it. I was under the mistaken impression that the movie might be good in spite of the stupid glasses. To top it off, there is no matinée discount for 3D movies at the local NCG.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:09:18 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: I Think I'm Done With 3-D Movies
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
I'm Done With 3-D Movies

B-b-b-b-b-but 3D is the WAVE of the future! [popcorn] :lol: [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Or ... atleast that's what we were told in the 1950s when they started up with 3D gimmick movies .....  :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
Re: I Think I'm Done With 3-D Movies a.k.a. Tron Sucks
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
A remake/sequal of a sucky movie that turns out to be sucky? go figure.

I'm waiting for Zardos 3D.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: I Think I'm Done With 3-D Movies
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:44:20 PM »

B-b-b-b-b-but 3D is the WAVE of the future! [popcorn] :lol: [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Or ... atleast that's what we were told in the 1950s when they started up with 3D gimmick movies .....  :facepalm:

In 1950 3-D was the wave of the future.

In 2010 3-D is the wave of the past.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:58:57 PM »
You really can't compare the red/cyan anachrome 3d of the 50s with the polarized light 3d of today.  Lets just be fair.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 04:53:20 PM »
yea, I'm pretty sure I was a guinea pig for disney and 3D when I went there 2 years ago. They were very concerned with people taking the glasses so I new it had to be something new. The not too long after out came the first of the new 3D movies. The technology seems ok but as you state, even brandy new whiz bang technology can't necessarily save a crappy movie.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »
yea, I'm pretty sure I was a guinea pig for disney and 3D when I went there 2 years ago. They were very concerned with people taking the glasses so I new it had to be something new. The not too long after out came the first of the new 3D movies. The technology seems ok but as you state, even brandy new whiz bang technology can't necessarily save a crappy movie.

Yep, a turd is still a turd when viewed in 3-D and Smell-O-Vision.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:14 PM »
50s 3D did not use multi-color anagram technique. It used cross-polarized film exactly like 'modern' 3D movies.

Regardless of technology used, I would pay extra to NOT see movies in 3D.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:02:06 PM »
Why the were 50's glasses two different color lenses and todays are not? When I was tooling around DW I got the distnct impression the technology was based on polarization.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »
Why the were 50's glasses two different color lenses and todays are not? When I was tooling around DW I got the distnct impression the technology was based on polarization.

Both were used, the Red/Blue Anaglyph glasses were first, but then polarized systems dominated the "3D-craze" of the early 50's.

The Red/Blue get way more presentation because they're visually identifiable in posters etc. about the era. (Crowd of grinning 1950's people staring at a screen etc.) Also, they could be used with television programming etc. special events, distributed in cereal boxes for a special cartoon etc.
I promise not to duck.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 03:40:05 AM »
Nerd that I am I have no desire to see the new one. I wasn't all that impressed with the first one, and i saw it at it's release.  Lot of graphic goodness for it's time but the story/plot was ridiculous.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 06:49:29 AM »
Both were used, the Red/Blue Anaglyph glasses were first, but then polarized systems dominated the "3D-craze" of the early 50's.

The Red/Blue get way more presentation because they're visually identifiable in posters etc. about the era. (Crowd of grinning 1950's people staring at a screen etc.) Also, they could be used with television programming etc. special events, distributed in cereal boxes for a special cartoon etc.
Hmph, did not know that. yes, my conclusion was based on that one pic we all know.  :facepalm:

:lol:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 11:45:48 AM »
I saw the latest Narnia on Christmas Day in 3D, it was pretty cool in the 3D especially with the ship at sea.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 11:59:24 AM »
I saw the latest Narnia on Christmas Day in 3D, it was pretty cool in the 3D especially with the ship at sea.

I do want to see Narnia, however, I think I'll wait for the 2D DVD to come out. Twice bitten (Tron, Resident Evil blew dog), thrice shy.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »
I liked TRON....but I can't do 3-D movies at all....my nearsighed/astigmastim combo nixes it for me....

I'll be glad when the 3-D craze is past and we all get holodecks....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 08:44:35 PM »
I thought it was amazing! Saw it in 3D, seemed like they didn't really utilize it much in Tron. And Quorra is very attractive,  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 11:29:19 PM »
I'll be glad when the 3-D craze is past and we all get holodecks....  =D
+1

yea, what's taking so long?  =|

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 12:55:53 AM »
+1

yea, what's taking so long?  =|

What do you think?...Rev has a girlfriend.... ;/

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »
What do you think?...Rev has a girlfriend.... ;/

=D
Yep, typical single guy, all boo hooey and moping around all his friends until he finds a girl then POOF!! you never see him again. I have 5 brothers, I've been through it a couple times.  :lol:

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »
perhaps your one of the people that can't see 3D? aka stereo-blind.

now then, there are different kinds of 3d, the red and blue glasses suck. barely ok for B&W, then there are the polarized glasses and duel projectors setups, you can do this with projectors in your house, but it's not cheap. then you have the newest setup, either DLP link, and newer infrared based active glasses. these need some more time, i don't know if the problem is with the glasses or the tvs. i'm hoping it's the glasses because i just bought a nice new tv, and it's going to have to last me at least 'till 2020. [tinfoil] i'll put the problem the current sets are having in 1pt type in case anyone else has a new set, and can't see it yet. ;)(no use looking for it, and ruining your new TV.)
you can see the brighter parts of the left eye image with your right eye, and the right eye image with your left eye. ghosting is what the AV forums are calling it.
it's kinda irritating/distracting but you can get rid of most of it by changing the image settings. [popcorn]

definitely try out that new 3D TV before you buy it.

oh and there are 3D screens that don't need glasses, but there still very expensive for any real size. foxnews has been claiming the new gameboy will use this type of screen. :O

here's a link to a 3D camera, i saw awhile back with one.

oh, one more thing. the active glasses work over Rx glasses, and you can have a set of Rx glasses made for, the older polarized setups. =D

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 10:18:57 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation, my wife and I watched it in 3D last night. VERY good.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:36 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, my wife and I watched it in 3D last night. VERY good.

OK, I'm gonna give it a try, (waffle, waffle). ;)