Author Topic: The Death Cat  (Read 1489 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
The Death Cat
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:52:06 PM »
At first, this seemed like a bad Stephen King story.

"Oscar the cat seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours. His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means they have less than four hours to live."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/07/25/national/a141306D42.DTL&tsp=1

Evil soul that I am, I thought it would be fun to visit the home with a few cans of tuna and a can opener.

"Oh look, here comes Oscar."

"No!  NOOOOO!  Get the evil death cat away from me!"

etc.

-Jack

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: The Death Cat
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 03:03:04 PM »
"No!  NOOOOO!  Get the evil death cat away from me!"

ROTFLMAO!! Cheesy

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »
thats no cat,
its a chupacabra

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 04:59:14 PM »

Ah, Oscar the deathkitty.  I'm not very surprised actually.  Cats have historically been known for mystic elements.  More than a few religions have incorporated it into their belief systems.

thats no cat,
its a chupacabra

American McGee's Alice.  One of my favorite old games, I should pick it up again.  Insane visuals, very lovely music.  The twisted Cheshire Cat is a lovely addition.  Allegedly, it's being turned into a movie.  Definitely has potential, but I have faith that Hollywood will find a way to ruin it.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:25:05 PM »
Jeez, my cat has been pretty clingy to me lately.  I wonder if I should be worri.........

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:05:38 PM »
what caliber for Death's Cat?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 06:06:30 PM »
prolly some wildcat cartridge
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »
I saw "Death Cat" and thought my cat was seen outside with a gun again:

(His eyes are blacked out cuz he's currently on duty in the backyard, part of Operation Rat and Roach Death)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »
Dang, that brought back memories.

I played all the way through that drug trip of a game.  The Cheshire Cat drove me nuts. 

I'll have to install it again on my latest computer and see how well I do. shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 12:22:50 AM »
taste just like fish!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 12:29:36 AM »
Like to see him curl up with someone who is "perfectly well" and then see them die in a couple of hours.  Then it could be a little creepy.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 05:59:40 AM »
My cat once spent about 4 hours straight cuddled up on my lap when I was really upset. Smiley
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 06:45:55 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoyed American McGee's Alice.  The bass in the creek were scary.

As for Oscar the death cat - imagine finding out the dying people had a cat allergy and Oscar's presence pushed them over the edge.
For entertainment purposes only.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 11:54:08 AM »
Geeze, that looks almost exactly like one of our cats (not the one I referred to earlier).

But she won't even kill a mouse  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Paddy

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 11:54:17 AM »
I don't know if any of you have ever spent any time in a nursing home, where death is nearly a daily occurrence.  Do you know that quite often the family knows that death is imminent yet leaves the person to die all alone?  Sometimes, there may be a compassionate health aid (a very low paid job) who will voluntarily sit by the side of the dying person, but more often not. 

Who knows why this cat does this, and who is to say it offers no comfort?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 11:59:38 AM »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 07:27:56 PM »
I have been seriously thinking this over since seeing the furball of death on the news. I am trying to figure out if to the old people the cat is a comfort or a terror. I suppose that if I knew I was in there and close to dying I would take comfort when the cat laid down with me. I'd want some company and animals have always been good to me when I was lonely. On the other hand, do the residents experience trepidation daily when the cat comes around or are the able to be a little outside of their own experience and find cheer in the cat as he comes to visit and marks that it is not their day? The one geezer I saw interviewed was quite in his right mind and he said everyone loved the cat, he saw it this morning and was glad it didn't stay long!  grin I suppose in a really extreme case you could wake up in perfectly good health, see the cat who is just on your bed for a moment doing its rounds, think he's there to sit a spell, have a heart attack and then die. The cat would make an interesting literary device, being pretty much an animation of the intangible force of death we all deal with.

Wearing my evil hat I could see me dripping a little tuna juice and catnip oil on the bedding of someone I really didn't like though.

What Riley said about nursing homes is right, I visited a few Minnesota nursing homes to see relatives of the wife's. Places give me nightmares. Predominately women, all the men had Lucky Strike, coffee, and farm cooking heart attacks 20+ years ago, most of them still on the farm. Many of the women had aerial pictures of their farmhouse in the grove, most of them gone as a non-resident farmer knocked down the house and grove for more land to plant. The ones I visited had the old family group photos from the 40's and could name all the already deceased brothers, uncles, and fathers. The contrast between the present and the lives they had made the sense of loss and death so tangible to me. Few there had visitors, the home had a big aviary with finches that was popular. I still give my wife stuffed animals because she loves them and it is a light little expression of our affection. I saw one old woman there who had a teddy bear and the way she clutched it you could tell it was all the companionship she had or could comprehend anymore.  How a person could go from a family to being left with a stuffed animal, I don't know, it still hurts me to think about 15 years later. How could her family and friends leave her like that?

My grandfather passed at 92, senile for 10 years or more, didn't know his own wife. She passed a year earlier at 78 I believe, cognizant to the end, just died in her sleep from a lifetime of Pall Malls and the associated congestive heart failure. My father managed to have care for them in their home, they both died there. Somehow I have to do the same for my parents. Me, I hope to stay healthy into old age to be there for my wife. I'll eat a bullet before going to a nursing home myself. I'm glad the cat is there to keep folks company, when I get back home I need to start visiting one of the local homes. Nobody else does.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 10:45:46 AM »
The article I read suggested that the cat was actually quite welcome.

The people who were soon to die were apparently quite pleased to have the cat's company in their final hours.

And the relatives appreciated the fact that they had a warning that a death was imminent, so they could be there to say their goodbyes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 10:12:44 AM »
I'd rather have my cat with me at the end than most relatives

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 08:02:56 AM »
I'd rather have my cat with me at the end than most relatives

Funny how life is.  I'd prefer a dog, but yes.  At least they did not pass completely alone.  A pet would be comforting way to go to the abyss snuggled up with.   Can't think of a more peaceful way.  At that age, they feel overdue already.

My grandpa just passsed a few days ago.  Too stubborn to die while My mom held his hand.  He dies one hour after she left, alone.  No cat that I recall was present.  He probably would have snuggled with it though and passed with a smile. What a gentle man, he was a dairy farmer before retirement. 
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul