Author Topic: Throttle Body Spacers  (Read 1315 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Throttle Body Spacers
« on: July 27, 2007, 01:47:43 PM »
I've been looking for little tweaks and relatively inexpensive add on's for the truck to give it a little more power.  Throttle body spacers come to mind but I've never really used one.

Do they actually work?  Do the ones with the spirals cut into them to spin the air offer any better performance over ones without the cuts?

How bout those tornados things anyone have luck with those?

And yes, other little things to do are welcome suggestions.  Again, nothing major and relatively inexpensive.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Throttle Body Spacers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 01:53:04 PM »
You'd do better with the gas line magnets.

A friend installed a throttle body spacer in his PT Cruiser. It did nothing other than raise the deck height of his airbox closer to the hood when it closed, causing some interference.  undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »
gas line magnets?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

onions!

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »
Hardwood actually makes a better spacer then either phenolic or aluminum.Pretty cheap too,if you're handy.Wood will insulate the TPI unit (so will plastic)wheras the AL ones just add space & transfer heat.

It's something to consider as a fine adjustment after air inlet & outlet improvements.

BTW,my own expierience with these predates MPFI,Carb bases & TBI's are flat on the bottom lending themselves to easier expierimentation.Also no coolant flowing though them-kind of a bad thing for a wood spacer laugh

onions!

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 02:09:34 PM »
gas line magnets?

They line up the molecules in the gasoline.More orderly.Like the rope lines outside a theater.Smoother flow.
Fascist.Good stuff.Buy waste your money on one today.

c-snakeoil. smiley

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 04:42:45 PM »
And Popular Mechanics said of one of the TB spacer units it was evaluating that it was so flimsily constructed that there was real danger of it coming apart and getting sucked into the engine. Which is a Very Bad Thing.

Pretty much any gimmick that you see advertised to boost your gas mileage is crap.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 04:50:24 PM »
the best way I know to increase your gas mileage without spending a dime...

drive like granny.

slow starts

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 07:04:32 PM »
In the days of carburated engines spacers were good, added a few horsepower.

Not sure about the whole computerized stuff now.

a side note...  a factory 426 Hemi will produce 800 horsepower at dynamo, watched it on the speed channel the other night. Last small block I built in 94 ,a 327 chevy was 425 on the bench, granted the car it went into avg 4 miles gallon.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 03:18:13 AM »
A gizmo that works is a quality re-usable air filter, like a K&N. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 09:44:43 AM »
Best gas saver that I've found is the "Park" gear Wink

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 03:58:43 PM »

Best gas saver that I've found is the "Park" gear

Followed closely by "lighter right foot".

Lupinus, to answer your original question, throttle body spacers do work on some vehicles.  How well they work depends on how poorly the original intake setup was designed and whether or not the vehicle has already been modified in other aspects.  For your presumably stock vehicle they are usually a waste of time and money unless you have done some other mods to make it breath better.  What mods it will take are determined by your particular vehicle.

The Tornados are a gimmick.  They would be laughable if they weren't such an intentional snake-oil scam.  The only two things they do effectively is restrict the flow of air into your engine and enhance the flow of dollars out of your wallet.  Just say no.

Also be careful of the reusable filter setups.  If you drive in dusty conditions I wouldn't use one.  They flow better because they filter less.  I have know several people who used them but switched back to paper filters the first time they took off the reusable and found the intake tract coated with dust.  Others have used them without a problem.  One very big problem is that they filters are shockingly easy to overoil.  The excess oil sheds off into the airstream as tiny droplets which deposit onto the MAF sensor.  Not a problem if you don't mind pulling the sensor for a cleaning every now and then.  However, if you are the "don't bother" type when it comes to routine, regular preventive maintenance, I'd pass.

Probably the cheapest upgrade in terms of dollar for horsepower would be some type of cat-back exhaust system and a tune-in-a-box.  Borla, Walker, DynoMax, Flowmasters, and others make direct fit replacement exhaust systems for many vehicles.  One of those in conjunction with a SuperChips or some other type electronic tuner will net you an increase in power.  Don't expect it to be a Honda-to-Hemi kind of change, though.  Just something enough to notice, usually barely.  That is, until you check your mileage.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 07:39:45 PM »
The idea behind the spacers is economical in the regards it's going to put more money in someone's pocket while there is a little less in yours.

The premise is twofold. 

1. it's supposed to offer a little more time for gas/fuel mixture to expand enroute to combustion chamber.  This only applies to TBI style injection.

2. They are supposed to swirl the air more to promote better air/fuel mixing.  Some have a ACME like threading to them.

I've never read a word about them actually working.  If they do indeed work, it's not to the degree that brings it up and beyond just driving mundanely or like a Nascar yahoo trying to make up 10 places in the last lap.

They might promote better A/F ratio mixing, but again, not beyond your driving habits.  Mileage can easily vary by 30% depending on how you actually drive.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 04:59:46 AM »
yeah seems to be the general consensus is the things don't work lol.  I'm thinking that the money would be better spent on a decent cat back exuast or an underpully system.  No I'm not looking for nascar but you ever hit a big hill in 4th gear in an 87 s15 jimmy with that 2.8 baby in it?  Not looking to build a race car but some more power would be nice lol. 

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »
Can't beat cubic inches, just the way it works. 

physics police
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 07:37:23 AM »
yeah seems to be the general consensus is the things don't work lol.  I'm thinking that the money would be better spent on a decent cat back exuast or an underpully system.  No I'm not looking for nascar but you ever hit a big hill in 4th gear in an 87 s15 jimmy with that 2.8 baby in it?  Not looking to build a race car but some more power would be nice lol. 

I used to have a 91 S-10 with a 2.8...  yep it sucked doing the big hill thing on highways. I do miss the 25-27 mpg I got with it.

My 98 Jimmy with a 4.3 will fly up any hill but it averages 14 mpg in town and 20 on the Hwy.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 09:29:16 AM »
Put a raw egg in the shell under your gas pedal  grin

I even have a kit that I sell for $99.95.  Includes the egg, one spare, and installation instructions. Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 09:41:43 AM »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot