Author Topic: "Sweeping new powers to the federal reserve"? Whatwhatwhat?  (Read 9532 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Oh, GREAT. The solution to the problem must be...MORE BIG GOVERNMENT! What the hell, George?

WASHINGTON (AFP)  President George W. Bush's administration will propose sweeping new oversight powers for the Federal Reserve in a bid to avoid calamities like the current subprime crisis, The New York Times reported Saturday.

Citing a summary of the plan provided by the administration, the newspaper said the Fed will gain the power to investigate any activities of financial institutions that threaten US economic stability, gather information and combat risks to the financial system as a whole.

The plan will be proposed on Monday, the paper said.

The Securities and Exchange Commission would lose some of its authority and is likely to be combined with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission that regulates trade in gas, oil and other goods, the report said.

The report came as new statistics showed US consumer spending stalled in February despite rising incomes as Americans boosted savings amid recession fears.

A Commerce Department report showed a meager 0.1 rise in spending, the driver of growth in the world's biggest economy. The figure was the weakest since September 2006 and matched analysts' consensus forecast.

The proposal is due to be unveiled by the Treasury Department.

It is part of a sweeping blueprint to overhaul the nation's financial regulatory agencies, which many experts say failed to recognize rampant excesses in mortgage lending until after they set off what is now seen as the worst financial crisis in decades.

Why not just nationalize them all!  rolleyes

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: "Sweeping new powers to the federal reserve"? Whatwhatwhat?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:44:51 AM »
What's next? Price and wage freezes? Didn't work for Nixon......
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:18:26 AM »
this makes my brain hurt
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:28:12 AM »
No sense getting your panties in a bunch about a proposal before you know what it says. 

Wait until Monday for the proposal to be released.  Then take the time to actually read the proposal.  Then think about it some.  Then start ranting and raving, if you think it's appropriate.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 08:53:49 AM »
...and they've done such a wonderful job so far...  rolleyes

While we're at it, let's extend the same oversight to the oil/gas industry.....  police
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:00:23 AM »
I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were real oversight.  But it's just eyewash, since the Bush Administration is a wholly owned subsidiary of Wall Street.  It's like having Arthur Anderson audit themselves.   laugh

But, for those of you who actually believe this is 'regulation', I ask you- why is this coming from a 'conservative' Republican administration?

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 09:03:15 AM »
No sense getting your panties in a bunch about a proposal before you know what it says. 

Wait until Monday for the proposal to be released.  Then take the time to actually read the proposal.  Then think about it some.  Then start ranting and raving, if you think it's appropriate.

I agree. I mean, it's not like the Federal Government has given me any reason to not have faith in their ability....right?
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 01:38:29 PM »
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 02:10:19 PM »
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Best.  Post.  Ever.  cool

If the Bible is ever reopened for submissions, I'm nominating this......

...and "It's all fistful's fault."   grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
More big gov? Not quite; more like more big corporate government.

--------------------------

http://searchronpul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 03:28:31 AM »
Why am I not surprised? 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 07:25:05 AM »
For companies like Exxon and Bear-Stearns where sheer mismanagement or outright corruption at the top by the guys in the 40th floor corner offices are the reason for the losses, prison time - hard time, as in chain gang - in a highly public manner for the executives should be a part of the solution.

That, or defenestration.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »
Did anyone say defenestration?  Smiley

Those who orchestrated the debacle will make sure they end up with more power.  That we can count on.  What's good for Goldman Sachs is good for America.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 01:24:23 AM »
Can you say Banco Ambrosio, Savings and Loan? BCCI? To mention just a few of the headliners over a span of time.

-----------------------------------

http://searchronpul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 05:10:45 AM »
Did anyone say defenestration?  Smiley

Those who orchestrated the debacle will make sure they end up with more power.  That we can count on.  What's good for Goldman Sachs is good for America.

Exactly right.  Big.Gov will make sure they don't lose their pensions, homes, luxury autos, yachts, Swiss bank accounts, etc.   Because next year, those same Big.Gov 'officials' will be in the employ of those same corporations. 

Un mano lavase el otro.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 09:13:49 AM »
We were warned, ironically, about "voodoo economics."  Well, the witchdoctors of the Wall St. are definitely winning.  Of course they now have quants with supercomputers to concoct new-wave mumbojumbo.  The thieves and mystagogues remain.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »
It may well be worse than we think.

"We No Longer Live In a Constitutional Republic"

Karl Denninger, a tech geek turned ISP owner turned market trader, has been posting information on the ongoing economic train wreck for the better part of a year (since I've started reading), and has just recently been attempting to draw attention to the question of legality, nay, Constitutionality of the Bear Stearns bailout.

More details relating to the above: http://market-ticker.denninger.net/2008/04/off-reservation.html

To those who've studied our early American history, this will not likely be a suprise, what with the twenty-thousand-ish gun laws on the books, but this disease is now apparently spreading to other areas of the government.

What're you going to do about it?
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
Karl Denninger, a tech geek turned ISP owner turned market trader, has been posting information on the ongoing economic train wreck for the better part of a year (since I've started reading), and has just recently been attempting to draw attention to the question of legality, nay, Constitutionality of the Bear Stearns bailout.

With a degree in what aspect of economics, exactly? Masters or doctorate level?

Oh, you say they have a Paulian-style panic-font blog with lots of bolded text? Why, that must make then an authority on the economy!

Sorry, while I may disagree with aspects of the bailout, I'll get my economic theory from someone with a bit more qualifications.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 07:22:49 PM »
But wait, you don't have a doctorate level degree! I'll just go ahead and ignore everything you say on the subject, then.  rolleyes

I should note I haven't read anything by the guy Maned's pissing on; just a general observation about the comment.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf

taurusowner

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »
I think the free market should just self-correct like it always does.  Keep the .gov out of it.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 07:27:31 PM »

With a degree in what aspect of economics, exactly? Masters or doctorate level?

Don't you worry. Ben's got a PhD!
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »
But wait, you don't have a doctorate level degree! I'll just go ahead and ignore everything you say on the subject, then.  rolleyes

I should note I haven't read anything by the guy Maned's pissing on; just a general observation about the comment.

I've never claimed to be an expert on the economy able to "document" the so-called "train wreck" as this guy is doing.

On the other hand, you passed judgment on my comment without even looking at the site, a sky-is-falling rant which has way too many separated lines, bolds, italics and exclamation points to be taken seriously, and even includes an American flag with a hammer and sickle on it to imply some level of panic. The fact that you do that, well, that's just good reason for me to ignore everything you say, period, isn't it.  smiley

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 04:27:58 AM »
I've never claimed to be an expert on the economy able to "document" the so-called "train wreck" as this guy is doing

All this huff and puff because he mentions "Constitutionality", I thought conservatives were into adhering to the Constitution?  Also, why does his level of formal education make the slightest bit of difference, either what he says makes logic sense or it doesn't.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 08:39:01 AM »
Also, why does his level of formal education make the slightest bit of difference, either what he says makes logic sense or it doesn't.
What he says doesn't make sense.  We're being asked to take it seriously anyway.

Nearly all of the discussion on the Fed and the economy doesn't make much sense.  Much ranting and raving from people who demonstrably don't know what they're talking about.  But since nobody else knows what they're talking about either, this tripe gets taken seriously instead of getting laughed at. 

Another thread asks when things are going to get better.  My belief is that things can't get better until people understand economics again.  You don't need a degree, but you do need to know what you're talking about, and what you're voting about. 

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 05:03:31 PM »
HTG,

If something doesnt hold water it's plenty sufficient to call them out on that, bringing up Ron Paul and post-graduate degrees actually takes away from the point that what they say doesnt make sense.