Author Topic: Lieberman as McCain veep?  (Read 9478 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Lieberman as McCain veep?
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:09:35 PM »
Drudge has had a report up for a few days saying Lieberman is on the short list as
choice for veep.
Iirc, Lieberman is for an AWB.
Do you folks know anything about his views on the 2a?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Waitone

• friend
Re: Lieberman as McCain veep?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:58:46 PM »
McCain Lieberman teamed up on the bill to close the so called "Gunshow Loophole".  To this day McCain has not been challenged as he burnishes his conservative credentials.  The choice of Lieberman as veep has a certain entertainment value. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
I hope it's not him. Two old men, one of whom whines gratingly, is not going to be a good image.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »
Well, heck. Why shouldn't a representative of the Democratic (sic) party choose another representative of the Democratic (sic) party?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 03:12:22 PM »
McCain needs to pick someone that will shore up his conservative base.  He still has not done that and without us, he loses.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »
McCain choosing Lieberman as VP will prove my hypothesis that McCain really doesn't want the job, and is trying to throw the election.

Personally, I think picking Lieberman would make his taking a dive too obvious . . .

(Say - didn't Lieberman just team up with another RINO, John Warner, and push some kind of insane bill to raise energy prices with a government mandated cap-and-trade swindle?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »
Lieberman believes in armed citizens.

In Israel.

You can count him as an anti-gunner when it comes to RKBA in America.

If McCain wants to alienate the conservatives who have been working overtime to convince themselves that he is the bolus that must be swallowed to hold back the plague all he has to do is embrace Lieberman as VP.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:48:04 PM »
That choice would put the final nail in the GOP coffin and ensure the Libertarians a near-10% showing in the election.....

....and put Obama & the Dems in charge for four years....

...I think McCain is trying to do the same thing to the Republicans that Buchanan did with the Reform Party.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »
I don't like Lieberman as a choice.  He is not a nut, but he is liberal. 

If it happened, I guess he would be the first person to run as VP for both primary parties. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »
The problem for McCain is that the pool of VP's is so poor that people are actually speculating whether or not it could be Lieberman.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »
Yes but at least Lieberman is to the right of both Presidential canidates.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 03:26:52 AM »
The problem for McCain is that the pool of VP's is so poor that people are actually speculating whether or not it could be Lieberman.
that is a big problem. no candidates stand out. thats an amazing thing this close to the convention. one would think romney would be the obvious choice but I think he does not want it.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 06:00:09 AM »
that is a big problem. no candidates stand out. thats an amazing thing this close to the convention. one would think romney would be the obvious choice but I think he does not want it.

I don't think Romney is as obvious a choice as he is being made out to be.  He only did really well in Utah, Michigan, and possibly Massachusetts's.  Also Romney had a hard time convincing Repubs that he is conservative, which a weak area both share.  After hearing Pawlenty speak on Glenn Beck, I think he could help McCain.  Personally I would certainly vote if Pawlenty was he his running mate, as he seems to be a traditional conservative. 

I would feel a lot more comfortable with Pawlenty as a tie-breaking vote if he is true to his word.  Also he is young (about the same age as Obama), which helps balance the age problem McCain has. 

As noteworthy tidbit, John Edwards was relatively unknown IIRC, before Kerry picked him for a running mate.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 07:54:15 AM »
Now the buzz seems to be for Tom Ridge.....McCain's inviting him to travel the campaign trail with him...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »
McCain needs to pick someone that will shore up his conservative base.  He still has not done that and without us, he loses.
Without him, we lose worse.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 10:04:06 AM »
Now the buzz seems to be for Tom Ridge.....McCain's inviting him to travel the campaign trail with him...

Tom "Duct Tape And Plastic Sheeting" Ridge? Uh. No.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 10:17:02 AM »
Tom Ridge is going to have to live down the debacle with being unable to get the DHS off to a decent start. he had to have been the worst possible choice for the job, having no real experience in bureaucracy, and no experience dealing with bringing such a monster under control and keeping it there.

Chertoff is no better. He is basically a lawyer and has no idea what it takes to run such a huge enterprise. I doubt he has had to run an organization of more than a few dozen his whole life.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 10:19:17 AM »
Tom Ridge is going to have to live down the debacle with being unable to get the DHS off to a decent start. he had to have been the worst possible choice for the job, having no real experience in bureaucracy, and no experience dealing with bringing such a monster under control and keeping it there.

Chertoff is no better. He is basically a lawyer and has no idea what it takes to run such a huge enterprise. I doubt he has had to run an organization of more than a few dozen his whole life.

After Tom Ridge caused Home Depot's sales of duct tape and sheeting to go off the charts, giving them massive profits, they gave him a seat on their board. He now gets a six-digit per annum from them.

That would NOT look good!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »
Tom Ridge is a rino, if McCain doesn't extract his cranium, I'll be voting for Libertarian for the first time ever.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »

After Tom Ridge caused Home Depot's sales of duct tape and sheeting to go off the charts, giving them massive profits, they gave him a seat on their board. He now gets a six-digit per annum from them.

Really? You have a source for that? I can easily believe it, but if it's true that would seem to warrant investigation.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 12:55:51 PM »
From what I hear, Tom Ridge is pro-abortion.  And that would kill McCain with a large chunk of conservatives.

Manedwolf, I don't care what Home Depot's board does.  I just can't get around this idea that everybody was out buying duct tape and plastic.  Source?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 02:43:11 PM »
Ridge adds nothing to a McCain ticket.  He will be remembered, unflatteringly, for his color-coded threat levels.

Hey, I have a lifetime supply of duct tape downstairs thanks to him.  That's reason enough not to vote for a McCain-Ridge ticket.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »

Really? You have a source for that? I can easily believe it, but if it's true that would seem to warrant investigation.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/tom-ridge-joins-home-depot/story.aspx?guid=%7B0BD5D3B5-1078-40FA-A3A7-827CCA2D0DB7%7D

http://ir.homedepot.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=156739

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
From what I hear, Tom Ridge is pro-abortion.  And that would kill McCain with a large chunk of conservatives.

Manedwolf, I don't care what Home Depot's board does.  I just can't get around this idea that everybody was out buying duct tape and plastic.  Source?

You don't remember back in 2001 a couple months after 9/11, when Ridge came on and said that duct tape and plastic sheeting would protect you from a biological and chemical attack? People went CRAZY buying it up for a while.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 04:21:30 PM »

You don't remember back in 2001 a couple months after 9/11, when Ridge came on and said that duct tape and plastic sheeting would protect you from a biological and chemical attack? People went CRAZY buying it up for a while.

I remember it well. The very first thing I thought of when I read about Ridge being a possible choice was duct tape (both for the windows and to wrap my head with).
If he is chosen, they are gonna tear him apart on the Home Depot board thing. Unfreakingbelievable! (well no, not really undecided)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G