Author Topic: Table Saws for Workshop  (Read 3172 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Table Saws for Workshop
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »
My workshop needs a table saw.

425 sq ft workspace, roughly 20x20 dimensions.  One wall dedicated to reloading tools.  One wall dedicated to tool storage and a mid-sized workbench.  Table saw will go in the middle of the floor, oriented in such a way that an 8x4 sheet of plywood can pass completely through it if needed. 

I'm looking for something that doesn't suck, so little Ryobi worksite junk need not apply.  I want stability for making good cuts for quality furniture and the like.  A quality fence on it that I can count on to be a true 90 degrees when locked down.  Don't want a folding or rolling stand, though something with raise-able casters so I can move it if needed (small workspace) would be welcome.  Need to be able to accept neato toys like tenon jigs and dado blades.

What table saws does APS own and recommend?

Looking at Home Depot stuff, they have 3 from "Steel City" (a brand I've never heard of) and 1 Rigid that seem to fit my bill, more or less.  I'd love to blow crazy money on a Delta or similar grade stationary table saw, but I just don't have the fundage.  I'm hoping to get out of this for $600, but for a killer deal I'll stretch to 8 or 900 for something that is truly worth the added expense.

Most people tend to turn their nose up at Rigid stuff, but I have several of their tools that have been very enjoyable to own and use over the last 5 years.  Cordless and corded drills, air nail gun, compound miter saw.  All good stuff.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
Re: Table Saws for Workshop
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:28:07 PM »
IIRC, Rigid is a Milwaukee Tools brand.
The best tablesaw that I use somewhat regularly is a ca. 1960s Sears model, heavy as heck, very precise though. That probably isn't going to help you much though...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:43 PM »
Get on Craigslist and find a solid used one.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
Get on Craigslist and find a solid used one.

Yes, there is bound to be someone who needs to sell a nice one.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »
shop craigs list  wood shops going under right and left  pu a real pro saw for a couple hundred over what a "contractor" saw would cost. quality fence is good as is sliding table.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:36:59 PM »
I am very happy with my ridgid 10" table saw, works great.  No complaints, guide stays square, plenty powerful motor, takes a dado blade just fine, even the measurements on the table are dead on.  I have to really try to bog it down.  It is the stand kind with a folding table but it is about as big as that kind can be and still be mobile so it is not the most helpful recommendation other than I don't think you can go wrong with the brand.

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
Are you wanting cabinet carpentry quality?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
Are you wanting cabinet carpentry quality?

Yes.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
Yes.

Better save up more than $600, start thinking over $3k for a saw.

Why? If you are wanting to do cabinet quality you need a saw that is going to stay true when in use. Think of it as a hunting scope vs a benchrest shooter's scope.

Uranus is a gas giant.

• friends

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 07:29:06 PM »
nice saw!  we picked up one like the first one with a sliding table for 1400 used

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »
My recommendation is in my username.  =D  I got one about ten years ago and am extremely happy with it.

Keep an eye on Craigslist.  I bought a used one for my son last year for $1,000 -- the seller was asking $1300.  There are plenty of guys who decide they are going to get serious about woodworking and then discover that they don't have the time or that it isn't what they expected.  At that point, they realize that their saw is just taking up a lot of space they can use for other things!  If you really want to do quality work, the cost will be worth it in the long run.  Also, you can always re-sell it.  The Consumer Product Safety Commission appears to be leaning toward a requirement that new saws be equipped with an automatic blade-stop such as that featured on SawStop saws.  If that happens, I think there will always be very good demand for the less expensive saws made under previous regulations.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 04:59:43 AM »
IIRC, Rigid is a Milwaukee Tools brand.
The best tablesaw that I use somewhat regularly is a ca. 1960s Sears model, heavy as heck, very precise though. That probably isn't going to help you much though...

I ended up with my grand dad's old craftsman table saw. I had to buy it from dad the evil stepmother but I have it. It still has some bubba mods to be undone but it is now mostly safe to use. Added a switched outlet to the stand, one plug hot, one switched. Grand dad would justmplug it in and go. The original motor was replaced some time in the '70s with a 1hp motor to run the belt which is tensioned by the weight of the motor. 3 cast iron extensions, original fence and miter gauge. No guards.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »
shop craigs list  wood shops going under right and left  pu a real pro saw for a couple hundred over what a "contractor" saw would cost. quality fence is good as is sliding table.

don't write off the older "contractor" saws, i had a rockwell with a cast top that was as precise as mid price stationary models. of course, most any saw with a cast iron top will fit the bill, as long as you can find parts (ie craftsman delta rockwell).  if you buy a used one figure another 250 for a  nice fence, although you may find the better fences (they usually ride on a round tube)  acceptable.   i hear good things about grizzly but have never used one. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »
If you're going to be using a table saw near your reloading bench, I hope you'll be happy with a layer of fine sawdust on everything.

If you've got some oil on anything - say, your reloading press ram - that in particular will act as a sawdust magnet.

A progressive loader will be particularly fun.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:06 AM »
If you're going to be using a table saw near your reloading bench, I hope you'll be happy with a layer of fine sawdust on everything.

If you've got some oil on anything - say, your reloading press ram - that in particular will act as a sawdust magnet.

A progressive loader will be particularly fun.

I put a sheet over the bench when I start any woodworking project.
--Lysander Spooner

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:13 PM »
I likes my Ridgid 3650.  Lifetime repair warranty.  Mine was square and true, and virtually no runnout on the arbor.  Measuring marks were deadnutz on to a hundredth (well maybe a coupla hundredths).  Cast iron wings I sprayed with Boeshield.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:53 PM »
Go to Sears and buy one that has a ground (not stamped) table.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
When I still had my woodshop I had Jet brand tools.I had their cabinate table saw.  Worked very well for home hobiest needs.
Formerly sumpnz

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »
Find a used one on CL- every cabinet shop in the country is closing. (10% exaggerated)  Get a small dust collector.
Do you have 240V power? 

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 05:03:47 PM »
While we are on the subject of table saws, can anyone recommend a better motor and arbor with less (much less) runout for my recent Sears table saw.  I like the thing but there is too much side-to-side play in the blade.

Russ

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/tls/2725120729.html       

Powermatic makes a nice saw. Left hand tilt is really nice for furniture work.  Biesimeyer fence is nice too. This one could run with a 5 hp static phase convertor which  will let you put out about 3hp continuous to the blade. (as long as you have 240v power.)
 On any used equipment see if they can power it up so you can listen for vibration. A saw is a pretty simple thing, really. Don't worry about table rust, it will come right off with scotchbrite pad and oil. Crank the blade up and down and angled- usually a stiff action is due to sawdust absorbing all the oil in the grease.  Turn the arbor by hand and see if the bearings are lumpy. Easy change out on bearing on this saw.

Look freaking appalled by the rust, dubious about the three phase, worried about delivery, and offer $600.
 Static convertor to run this about $200 new, or maybe a lot less if you can find one used.
 I have a manual if you need a copy.