Author Topic: Tablet computer question  (Read 488 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Tablet computer question
« on: December 26, 2022, 08:43:37 PM »
I am an admitted dinosaur, and once again I find myself swimming against the tide.

I was (emphasis on the past tense) starting to consider buying a new Android tablet. All my previous cell phones and Android tablets have been Samsung, so I started looking there.

And I discovered that all their current models have done away with dedicated navigation buttons in the bezel in facor of hiding them within the viewing area of the screen. And it looks like Samsung isn't alone in this -- all the tablets I looked at on Amazon are buttonless.

If anyone has any familiarity wit Samsung's product line in recent years: What's the most recent 10-inch tablet that still had the dedicated navigation buttons?

Thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Tablet computer question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 08:55:39 PM »
Don't worry about nav buttons. Hidden buttons are a thing you're likely unable to circumvent. If you get one old enough to have physical buttons it likely won't have suitable performance or compatibility. Besides, they seem to work suitably well. My 82 year old father has a Galaxy tab with hidden buttons and he doesn't have an issue. Be more concerned if the tablet has the performance and price you need.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 09:45:19 PM »
I got this for Christmas and like it.

Lenovo Tab M10 Plus 3rd Gen Tablet - 10.65" FHD - Android 12-128GB Storage,
plus a ProCase Keyboard Case with Magnetically Detachable Wireless Keyboard,
and Logitech M585 Multi-Device Wireless Mouse - Bluetooth or USB.

The mouse can pair with 2 devices and has a button on top to switch between the two. I use it on my Laptop and the Lenovo tablet.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Tab-M10-Plus-Tablet/dp/B09TPY1PZZ

https://www.amazon.com/ProCase-Keyboard-Protective-Magnetically-Detachable/dp/B0B1DRB6WL

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Multi-Device-Cross-Computer-Graphite/dp/B072M4YLN6
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 10:32:20 AM »
I have a Lenovo Chrome Book with detachable keyboard and have no issues at all with it.  As a matter of fact it is so simple my 10 and 12 year old granddaughters navigate better than I do.  Of course they are already tech savvy since they use computers daily at school.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 11:44:45 AM »
I got this for Christmas and like it.

Lenovo Tab M10 Plus 3rd Gen Tablet - 10.65" FHD - Android 12-128GB Storage,
plus a ProCase Keyboard Case with Magnetically Detachable Wireless Keyboard,
and Logitech M585 Multi-Device Wireless Mouse - Bluetooth or USB.

I bought a Tab 8 a couple years ago, when my old Samsung just got too old (old version of Android) for apps to upgrade.  It's been just fine.  (Still haven't figured how to get the microSD card slot open).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 12:03:59 PM »
I bought a Tab 8 a couple years ago, when my old Samsung just got too old (old version of Android) for apps to upgrade.  It's been just fine.  (Still haven't figured how to get the microSD card slot open).

Straighten out one end of a paper clip. Poke it in the little hole on the edge of the tablet (NOT the Mic hole! The hole will be at one end of an oval opening in the side/end). Push firmly and a little tray will pop out just enough to pull it out. It's just like the SIM/SD slot on an android phone.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 12:24:49 PM »
Depending on what you need to do, Kindle Fires work pretty good. I have a 10" Android tablet, but I keep going with the 8" Fires, just because they're more portable...
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 01:18:10 PM »
Straighten out one end of a paper clip. Poke it in the little hole on the edge of the tablet (NOT the Mic hole! The hole will be at one end of an oval opening in the side/end). Push firmly and a little tray will pop out just enough to pull it out. It's just like the SIM/SD slot on an android phone.

doesn't

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 01:48:08 PM »
https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-a8-a8-plus-how-do-i-install-the-memory-card/

It should.  the card holder might be jammed in there.  You could try gentle prying on the tray with a very thin knife or screwdriver while simultaneously pushing the removal tool in the hole.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 02:09:24 PM »
Push harder?
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 03:39:24 PM »
https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-a8-a8-plus-how-do-i-install-the-memory-card/

It should.  the card holder might be jammed in there.  You could try gentle prying on the tray with a very thin knife or screwdriver while simultaneously pushing the removal tool in the hole.

If so, it was that way out of the box.

No biggie.  I'm nowhere near full on onboard storage.