Author Topic: Manned Rocket Flight to Prove Earth is Flat  (Read 15564 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Manned Rocket Flight to Prove Earth is Flat
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »
The earth may not be flat but he is.

Too soon?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2020, 03:41:53 PM »
^ "Too soon?"

Oh, that concern entered my head, too, but I figured the ridicule had been going on since 2017 and the outcome was as pedicted by virtually all of us, so, meh, what the hell.

RIP old boy, but.

Kinda wierd that the chute had deployed on the way up on past attempts.

You'd think he would have addressed that problem by now.

Were there any "cockpit voice recorder" things recorded or transmitted?

I feel real sorry for those who had to blotter him up from the desert sands.  Probably not pros at that.  Ick.  [barf]

Any estimates of his <ahem> terminal velocity?  Should be roughly calculable from the video, no?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:45:42 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2020, 07:58:02 PM »
Dude forgot to check his staging...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2020, 01:26:47 AM »
As a FB friend said, Darwin Award winner for 2020 has already been decided. No way can this be bested...
Formerly sumpnz

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2020, 01:35:42 AM »
Sad thing is, if he got high enough, he died disappointed.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2020, 07:51:59 AM »
The parachute that deployed on launch looked too small to be a main, and too large to be a drogue.  He was quoted in a news article after an earlier flight that he had come down for a hard landing and got his bell rung.
All that makes me wonder if he just never put as much work into his recovery system as he did other systems of the rocket.  Also, did he ever make any unmanned test flights to wring out any bugs?  Good, solid parachute recovery systems can be engineered for something of that scale if you're willing to put the time and effort into it.  And being a life-safety item, you'd better get it right.  He didn't.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2020, 07:56:34 AM »
The parachute that deployed on launch looked too small to be a main, and too large to be a drogue.  He was quoted in a news article after an earlier flight that he had come down for a hard landing and got his bell rung.
All that makes me wonder if he just never put as much work into his recovery system as he did other systems of the rocket.  Also, did he ever make any unmanned test flights to wring out any bugs?  Good, solid parachute recovery systems can be engineered for something of that scale if you're willing to put the time and effort into it.  And being a life-safety item, you'd better get it right.  He didn't.

I thought I read a story that said the parachute enclosure took some damage on liftoff when it rubbed against the launchpad structure. Maybe he had multiple chutes but only one deployed?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_fC4xXmVr8

This showed up in my youtube feeds. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2020, 11:59:51 AM »
^
Sorry, but I wish that guy would structure his videos better.  Clicked out at about 6 - 7 minutes on that one.

Extensive editing needed.

Got his poles mixed up at one point, too.  See, I was paying attention.

<click>

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2020, 04:31:22 PM »
^
Sorry, but I wish that guy would structure his videos better.  Clicked out at about 6 - 7 minutes on that one.

Extensive editing needed.

Got his poles mixed up at one point, too.  See, I was paying attention.

<click>

Terry, 230RN

Fair point.  I don't watch a lot of his videos, but it jumped out to me after seeing this thread. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2020, 07:49:06 AM »
Hughes' rocket was possibly a hydrogen peroxide-catalyst-powered steam rocket engine.

Concentrated H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) decomposes violently into steam and nascent oxygen on contact with certain catalysts such as KMnO4 (potassium permanganate).

This reaction was used to drive the steam turbine which ran the alcohol and LOx pumps on Germany's V-2 rocket.

The hydrogen peroxide antiseptic you can buy over the counter is only about 3%, but putting it on a wound produces the same reaction, as shown by the bubbles of oxygen generated.  (The oxygen is highly reactive "nascent" oxygen, which is O before it links up with another O to  form O2.  Nascent oxygen is pretty destructive of germs.)

I am reporting this as an abstract of several sources.  I cannot vouch for the validity of these sources.

Another possibility is that it was a true steam rocket, where superheated water is released through a nozzle and flashes into steam.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:28:24 AM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #112 on: February 29, 2020, 02:10:54 PM »
My understanding is that Hughes rocket was a thermal steam rocket.  i.e. it used the expansion of water being converted to steam and pushed out a nozzle as it's reaction force.  Whereas the V2 is a more conventional fuel and oxidizer being combusted in a chamber engine, using the peroxide generated steam just to drive mechanical [turbo] pumps.

So the two rockets used the same reaction in vastly different ways, with vastly different thrust.  On the bright side, Hughes didn't have to design a combustion chamber and nozzle that could withstand several thousand degrees.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #113 on: February 29, 2020, 04:21:06 PM »
^ Exactly right, as I have already described.

I haven't researched it recently, but I believe at least one German Wunderwaffen was a small (antiaircraft?) rocket powered directly by that H2O2 decomposition, as was the Hughes rocket

This, as opposed to the rocket engines powered by hypergolic fuels.

If I recall correctly, the V-2's engine didn't have to withstand thousands of degrees in that sense.  While the Verein fur Raumshiffarht (VfR, "Society for Space Travel") was originally experimenting with liquid fuel engines in the 1930s,  somebody discovered that injecting a little bit of fuel (alcohol and water) in perforated rings high up in the combustion chamber would allow it to travel along the inside surface of the engine, keeping the actual metal relatively cool, especially at the nozzle throat, which was what usually burned through.

Again, IIRC, this was the main reason they used alcohol since it would mix with water (apart from the fact that gasoline was being used by the Luftwaffe.)

Willy Ley's "Rockets, Missiles, and Space  Travel" was my original and authoritative source for these matters.  That book disappeared when we moved to Colorado.  He also commented in one of his works that most of the exhaust flame of the V-2 was due to this extra fuel burning when it exited the engine.

Werner von Braun was a prominent member of the VfR.

Terry, 230RN

edited to insert "allow it to"

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 06:46:34 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2020, 04:29:03 PM »
So did we figure out the shape of the earth yet?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #115 on: February 29, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
So did we figure out the shape of the earth yet?

Rosie O'Donnell shaped.

And mass for that matter
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2020, 06:08:33 PM »
Hey, dogmush continued it.  I thought it was done at Reply #111.

The Earth's flat on this side, anyway:

Don't know what it's like on the other side.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:21:00 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2020, 07:06:01 AM »
Rosie O'Donnell shaped.

And mass for that matter

Afterthought, =D

"And mass for that matter."

Any sufficiently large celestial body must pull itself into a spherical shape,  depending on the strength of the material and its density. This is generally considered to be around 113 million km3 for rocky bodies, IIRC.

The earth is certainly larger than that and therefore must be spherical.

This is not to say that Rosie O'Donnell's body is in any way celestial, or anywhere near 113 million km3.  Or rocky.

Terry runs and hides since these posts are not "polite," being based on negative aspects of a real person's physical characteristics.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:07:29 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2020, 09:55:27 AM »
https://twitter.com/PrussiaThird/status/1234444389063122944?s=20
Finally a better explanation of the disappearance of the dinosaurs.  

I can't get Twitter or Chrome to let me copy the gif link directly.

This simulation of galaxies colliding was cool also.  
https://twitter.com/evankirstel/status/1234256722761572352

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2023, 08:10:16 AM »
YT short that popped up in my feed
According to this it was all a con job to con flat earthers out of money.

Don't know which would be crazier, him being a flat earther building a rocket to prove the world is flat or him thinking he could build a manned rocket to space in his back yard. Maybe he watched Salvage 1 and thought hmm, I could do that.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hwa2h9T8Iug?feature=share

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2023, 08:16:31 AM »
Afterthought, =D

"And mass for that matter."

Any sufficiently large celestial body must pull itself into a spherical shape,  depending on the strength of the material and its density. This is generally considered to be around 113 million km3 for rocky bodies, IIRC.

The earth is certainly larger than that and therefore must be spherical.

This is not to say that Rosie O'Donnell's body is in any way celestial, or anywhere near 113 million km3.  Or rocky.

Terry runs and hides since these posts are not "polite," being based on negative aspects of a real person's physical characteristics.

If she was a nice likable person I would agree to your final point. But she isn't a nice likable person is she?
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2023, 08:10:39 PM »
"Terry runs and hides since these posts are not 'polite,' being based on negative aspects of a real person's physical characteristics."

And as I said somewhere in this thread, the flat earth is provable since anywhere you go in the world, things still fall downward.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 08:41:55 PM by 230RN »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2023, 09:25:58 AM »
The amount of flat earth noise in the right/alt right world has really been ramping up the last few years.

That and "space is fake and gay" show up in all the strangest places.

It detracts from my right wing conspiracy consumption enjoyment.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2023, 09:31:10 AM »
The amount of flat earth noise in the right/alt right world has really been ramping up the last few years.

It detracts from my right wing conspiracy consumption enjoyment.

Honestly I think it's more of a case of people just trolling and also people exaggerating it so that they can make a YT video showing how much smarter they are than those dumb right wingers..

It appears our rocket man was trolling them for money
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2023, 09:32:51 AM »
Honestly I think it's more of a case of people just trolling and also people exaggerating it so that they can make a YT video showing how much smarter they are than those dumb right wingers

There is definitely a trolling aspect to it, I agree.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.