Author Topic: Health Care Passes in House 220-215  (Read 30948 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Health Care Passes in House 220-215
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2009, 12:41:07 PM »
As part of a drug/bio-therapeutic company (Ikaria/INO), I, too am puzzled by the sweeping generalizations offered by Shootingstudent.  I get monthly breakdowns on R&D, growth, expenditures, etc from our CEO.  That's something I don't think SS is privy to, but I could be wrong.  =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2009, 12:57:06 PM »
G98:

Being part of one of the "evil" drug companies, do you know if people in your company sometimes speculate on what would happen if your company simply chose to not do business in countries where it is not profitable to do so?

For example:  Your company creates drug "X" in a US based R&D lab.  From inception to FDA approval, it takes 10 years and 75 million dollars to accomplish this feat.  Production cost per pill is $0.10 now that the R&D is completed, but you have a $75 million deficit before it makes financial sense for your company to exist, so you decide to resell the drug to pharmacies at $0.50 per pill, and the pharmacy sells it to the end user at $1 per pill.

The number of medically affected people who need "X" (or any targeted new prescription) isn't very high, but "X" has a respectable target audience.  Let's say there are 500,000 people in the US diagnosed with that condition, and 3 million total in western countries.  "X" is to be prescribed daily, indefinitely.

If half of those 500k take "X" then you have 250k * 365 pills sold per year.  That's a gross revenue of $45.6 million in the US market once half of all diagnosed patients are on your prescription.  Net revenue (subtract $0.10 per pill) is closer to $36 million.

Now... to sell abroad to price-controlled medical economies, you can only sell the pills to pharmacies at $0.15 per pill.  Revenue to that remaining 2.5 million non-US market would be a gross of 13.7 million with a pill manufacturing cost of about 9.1 million, for a net around 4.5 million.  That 4.5 million would probably be consumed in dealing with the myriad of international laws involved, since your 2.5 million target user base is spread out among 20 different countries.  Remember, your $0.10 per pill is just for domestic production costs and does not include the legal wranglings involved in international trade.

Is it even "worth" it to manufacture for the foreign market, in comparison to the investment involved of deliberately withholding the product for several years to try and change legislation in those countries?

Are there US-based laws that would prohibit such an action?  What recourse would another country have against a US-based pharmaceutical that simply decided to shut down operations elsewhere?

Is the foreign drug market that bad yet, or is it merely not as good as the US?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:01:30 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »
Countries which induce price controls on simple farming end up with famine.  Now food is a more basic a necessity than medical care; it is also infinitely more simple in terms of development and distribution.  

How does anyone think that government controls on health care won't lead to less health care when it can't even apply to farming?

Reducing ability to profit IS reducing incentive to produce.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:36:32 PM by FTA84 »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »
HTG, I'm struggling to see where I said there should be no charge for development. 
You've said over and over again that there should be less R&D.  You say it every time you say government should make medicine cheaper.

Either of two things must happen if you artificially reduce prices below their natural level.  Either you have less revenue to cover costs, or you have less revenue to generate profits. 

This means either you have less capability to invest in new research, or you have less reason to invest in new research.  Either way, you get less research.

It is no coincidence that the nation that allows the most profit potential for medical providers is also the nation that produces the most medical research and development.

Every time you say medical costs should be forced down by government fiat, what you're actually saying is that you want less research.  Whether you understand it or not, whether you admit it or not, you're saying there should be less research.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »
You've said over and over again that there should be less R&D.  You say it every time you say government should make medicine cheaper.

Either of two things must happen if you artificially reduce prices below their natural level.  Either you have less revenue to cover costs, or you have less revenue to generate profits. 

This means either you have less capability to invest in new research, or you have less reason to invest in new research.  Either way, you get less research.

It is no coincidence that the nation that allows the most profit potential for medical providers is also the nation that produces the most medical research and development.

Every time you say medical costs should be forced down by government fiat, what you're actually saying is that you want less research.  Whether you understand it or not, whether you admit it or not, you're saying there should be less research.

Unfortunately, those on the left have a total inability to look beyond first causes. The economic reasoning that looks to the effects of a policy beyond the intentions of a policy are generally dismissed as fantasy and mean-spirited attacks.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
AZRH44, we're trying darn hard to expand our drug's presence in Mexico, Japan, and Australia.

You would not believe the investment required in legal counsel and regulatory research just to get a foothold in one of the foreign markets, let alone three.

Dealing with the FDA is but one hoop we have to jump through, and that's just the domestic market. 

We seem to be having the best luck with Japan. 

Mexico, quite honestly, cannot really afford INOmax, save for some private hospitals around Mexico City. Hopefully, those hospitals will make our expansion into that market at least marginally successful, otherwise we're throwing good money after bad.   

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
All the talking heads and pundits have been reporting that the Senate version of the health care bill might not even come up for a vote before Christmas, if at all this year.
The WSJ is reporting that it is scheduled for a vote at 8:00 PM Saturday after only ten hours of debate.
Looks like the fat lady is warming up her pipes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2009, 11:14:21 PM »
i can't keep quite anymore, i looked up INOmax. and now i just have to say.

WHIPPETS??? [tinfoil]

[popcorn] =D :angel: no harm ment it just needed said =D

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2009, 08:03:47 AM »
The WSJ is reporting that it is scheduled for a vote at 8:00 PM Saturday after only ten hours of debate.
BOHICA.  The irony of it is, I have to decide TODAY whether to establish an MSA and HDHP (savings account and hi-deductible insurance) or stay with my EPO coverage.  Wish I could get a delay until next week...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2009, 10:12:16 AM »
Sanglant, we deliver Nitric Oxide.

Not Nitrous Oxide.

There is a difference.   ;)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
All the talking heads and pundits have been reporting that the Senate version of the health care bill might not even come up for a vote before Christmas, if at all this year.
Looks like the fat lady is warming up her pipes.

I have a slight inkling that this won't pass in the Senate.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grey54956

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
If it does pass the Senate, we'll all need prescription strength Preparation-H.  Will gov't cover that?
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2009, 12:35:31 PM »
I have a slight inkling that this won't pass in the Senate.

Remember, there were doubts about it passing in the House.  Pelosi's crew managed to whip enough folks into line to pass their version.
Personally, I think all the "doubts" being expressed by those in Congress are a smoke screen meant to deflect constituent concern so they can pass this damn thing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grey54956

« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2009, 12:45:20 PM »
So, assuming that this abomination passes, gets reconciled and signed, how do we go about turning back the clock.  Is it possible to attack the constitutionality of such laws?  Would it be better to pursue legislation to disassemble this and other entitlement programs?  Can such a thing be done?  Maybe we need a third party whose only focus is to disassemble the majority of gov't programs going back to the 30's, with the beneift of vastly reduced taxes and improved freedoms.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2009, 01:08:53 PM »
I do not know of any entitlement program that has ever been rolled back, unconstitutional or otherwise.  Once it's in, we're probably stuck with it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »
I do not know of any entitlement program that has ever been rolled back, unconstitutional or otherwise.  Once it's in, we're probably stuck with it.

Actually, if I recall correctly, there was a vast healthcare entitlement passed in the late 1980's/early 1990's that was then repealed.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »

Of note, the entitlement part doesn't begin until 2013. The paying for it part starts immediately.

If Obama is defeated in 2012, we will have that chance to repeal it then. Otherwise, I, too, am doubtful it could be repealed (prior to a total collapse of the economy from the combined effects of said healthcare, Medicare, and Social Security).
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »
There are many ways to "repeal" something.  The stakes just have to be high enough.

In the past in America they weren't; but times change.  

If we are forced to choose between past contracts and survival, we might surprise ourselves by choosing survival.  Maybe some of us will just choose to not play the game any more.

I don't think the "rules" in the future will resemble those we have counted on in prior times.  Nothing about our current situation matches up with past crises; we are in a new and far more dangerous place.

I always find this strange, this assumption that we are just going to march lemming-like into complete serfdom because what more and more consider a rogue government makes deals against the best interests of our nation.  Societies do not just grind on unless they are in relative isolation and their populations are completely impotent.  Things today are very fluid.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »
The bulk of our success as a society is due to our peculiar set of rules, and our willing adherence to them.

You ought not be so cavalier about throwing those rules away.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2009, 03:07:40 PM »
Dear "Headless:"

Kindly note that I AM NOT THE ONE THROWING THE RULES AWAY.

You have a lot of people in high places, especially ones pledged to represent us, who are doing that.

There is no "rule" that says I must go along with oppression and insanity.  The Founding Fathers would agree with me, I believe, on that one.

You're a smart guy--I read your posts--and you know perfectly well that the American people are getting shafted right and left by people who don't give a fig for what we think, much less our best interests.  They stopped playing by the rules a long, long time ago.  If we're smart we'll do what we need to do to get back on our feet and re-take our country.  I continue to believe that co-existence with the Left in America is a dangerous delusion.  That means separation, hopefully amicable.  While it's possible that we can again achieve a political majority in America, I think the odds, unfortunately, are against that.  If that's the case what do you propose, just sitting back and becoming a slave?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
Kindly note that I AM NOT THE ONE THROWING THE RULES AWAY.

You have a lot of people in high places, especially ones pledged to represent us, who are doing that.

There is no "rule" that says I must go along with oppression and insanity.  The Founding Fathers would agree with me, I believe, on that one.

You're a smart guy--I read your posts--and you know perfectly well that the American people are getting shafted right and left by people who don't give a fig for what we think, much less our best interests.  They stopped playing by the rules a long, long time ago.  If we're smart we'll do what we need to do to get back on our feet and re-take our country.  I continue to believe that co-existence with the Left in America is a dangerous delusion.  That means separation, hopefully amicable.  While it's possible that we can again achieve a political majority in America, I think the odds, unfortunately, are against that.  If that's the case what do you propose, just sitting back and becoming a slave?

Oh, boy.

Well, folks, we made it to 6 pages at least.  That's pretty good, all things considered.