Author Topic: Exec Privledge for Fast and Furious  (Read 30288 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Exec Privledge for Fast and Furious
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »
If someone is trolling, and you take the bait and respond, are you responsible for the trolling?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »
If Joe Gunshopowner knowing and willfully sold guns to prohibited persons (Straw Buyers) he would be guilty of a Federal Offense.   The Gunshop Owners told the ATF that either a) They knew these to be prohibited persons and/or b) They suspected they were prohibited persons.  In all cases the ATF told them to proceed with the sale(s).
That's how sting operations work. Undercover agents selling drugs, firearms, or whatever else in order to arrest people buying are not breaking the law.
That depends; was it illegal for you to sell that car?  Did you know at the time you sold it that the car would be used to commit a felony?
As noted above - law enforcement is allowed to do things that would otherwise be considered illegal during sting operations under controlled circumstances. They were obviously not controlled properly for fast & furious.

If someone is trolling, and you take the bait and respond, are you responsible for the trolling?
If someone's comment adds nothing to the discussion should they be ignored? :angel:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »
That's how sting operations work. Undercover agents selling drugs, firearms, or whatever else in order to arrest people buying are not breaking the law.As noted above - law enforcement is allowed to do things that would otherwise be considered illegal during sting operations under controlled circumstances. They were obviously not controlled properly for fast & furious.
"not controlled properly"?   :facepalm:  No attempt was made to arrest the buyers; the field agents were ordered to stand down when they tried to follow them.  A better analogy would be a police captain stealing guns and drugs from the evidence room and selling them on the street -- to raise money for the Christmas party.  If someone dies from it, he should be prosecuted for murder. (in the 2nd degree or 1st? I'm not sure)  If he pitched the idea to the chief first and the chief OK'd it, the chief is just as guilty.

(and I'm sure someone can come up with a much better analogy than that)
"It's good, though..."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2012, 10:22:17 PM »
If someone dies from it, he should be prosecuted for murder. (in the 2nd degree or 1st? I'm not sure)  If he pitched the idea to the chief first and the chief OK'd it, the chief is just as guilty.

I guess I just disagree with this concept then. If he sells someone drugs and they OD, he should be prosecuted for selling drugs, not murder. If he sells someone a gun and they kill someone - not his problem and he should enjoy his Christmas party (other than the stealing evidence part, which I'm not really sure how that fits in this analogy). I believe in personal responsibility. Selling guns isn't wrong, killing people is.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2012, 10:52:36 PM »
I guess you call that "adding to the discussion."  ;/

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
That's how sting operations work. Undercover agents selling drugs, firearms, or whatever else in order to arrest people buying are not breaking the law.As noted above - law enforcement is allowed to do things that would otherwise be considered illegal during sting operations under controlled circumstances. They were obviously not controlled properly for fast & furious.
If someone's comment adds nothing to the discussion should they be ignored? :angel:

If undercover agents were selling hundreds of kilos of cocaine to a gang, with no attempt to actually CATCH that gang, yes, some folks would be asking awfully pointed questions. We know how sting operations work. We know leakage occurs. That is a FAR cry from intentionally coercing gun owners into making illegal sales, not attempting to recover the weapons and trying to engineer restrictions on civil rights from criminal activity. Especially when it involves intentionally arming essentially a civil war next door to the US, with the express intention on getting folks killed.

It's not an undercover investigation if you never try, and probably never wanted to, catch the bad guys.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
Kind of hoping Congress takes the ire over the SCOTUS decision on Obamacare out on Holder today.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »
If you are selling X, and the buyer tells you they will use X to commit a crime, and you sell it to them anyway you are in fact guilty as an accessory. That IS personal responsibility.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »
Kind of hoping Congress takes the ire over the SCOTUS decision on Obamacare out on Holder today.

I am hoping for a b****-slap of epic proportions....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »
I hear the Black Caucus, as well other colorful Cauci, may walk out.  Would that they would keep walking...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
Preferably east, about 75 miles....  matter of fact, most of the elected idjits can just take a 75 mile walk east.

ETA:  50 miles wasn't enough....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »
I hear the Black Caucus, as well other colorful Cauci, may walk out.  Would that they would keep walking...

Right on.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
I guess I just disagree with this concept then. If he sells someone drugs and they OD, he should be prosecuted for selling drugs, not murder. If he sells someone a gun and they kill someone - not his problem and he should enjoy his Christmas party (other than the stealing evidence part, which I'm not really sure how that fits in this analogy). I believe in personal responsibility. Selling guns isn't wrong, killing people is.

The part highlighted is the criminal part.   Same as allowing prohibited persons to buy guns (they are prohibited for a reason). 

Knowingly and willfully selling guns to Bad People(tm) is where you get to take responsibility for what Bad Things(tm) happen with those guns afterward.   The BATFEIO is supposed to keep guns out of Bad People's(tm) hands, not give them guns with pretty pink bows on them.

You can "disagree" with the concept of Accessory all you want.  But you might want to read up on it before you run afoul of it....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
House votes that Holder is in Contempt.  255-68-1.  House Democrats lead by the Black Caucus walk out.

How soon before I get to see Holder do the perp walk?

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2012, 05:01:13 PM »
Not sure who Katherine Eban is, but I've never read anything so vacuoius regarding F&F.  She totally negelcts what the Gun Shop owners have testified too, and blames everything on weak laws.   And there's not one word about NICS checks, just 4473's.  If you had never bought a gun you'd never know what a complete farce this article is.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/27/fast-and-furious-truth/

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »
House votes that Holder is in Contempt.  255-68-1.  House Democrats lead by the Black Caucus walk out.

About the same time Romney becomes conservative....contempt without impeachment is toothless....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »
They *could* send the Sgt at Arms to Holder's office and arrest him right now if they wanted, and hold him behind bars until Issa is satisfied that all the documents have been turned over (that could take months to verify, even if Holder surrendered them immediately)  They would have to release him when congress adjourns -- when is that, in December?

BTW, where can I find out who voted for what?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:29:07 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2012, 06:15:47 PM »

You won't.  It's just more meaningless grandstanding by some in Congress.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
Not sure who Katherine Eban is, but I've never read anything so vacuoius regarding F&F.  She totally negelcts what the Gun Shop owners have testified too, and blames everything on weak laws.   And there's not one word about NICS checks, just 4473's.  If you had never bought a gun you'd never know what a complete farce this article is.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/27/fast-and-furious-truth/

That is a pretty long article, and I haven't finished it. It starts with the repeated claim that no guns were walked. About half-way down, it describes a case of ATF gun-walking in some detail. It laments that the NRA keeps a gun database from being established, but describes ATF agents building a database. It claims the Obama Administration has capitulated to Congress. Capitulation is a funny way to describe the claiming of executive privilege.

This seems to be the new tactic that some of the pundits are using, to claim there never was any scandal. Maybe they should tell that to Holder and Obama, so they can stop hiding things. After all, even if no crimes were committed, the procedural stuff can still nail you. Ask Scooter Libby.

Customers can legally buy as many weapons as they want in Arizona as long as they're 18 or older and pass a criminal background check. There are no waiting periods and no need for permits, and buyers are allowed to resell the guns. "In Arizona," says Voth, "someone buying three guns is like someone buying a sandwich."

Reporters are always reporting stuff like that as if we are supposed to be shocked and dismayed to read it.