Author Topic: Universal Background Checks: Senate supposedly near a deal  (Read 31500 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Universal Background Checks: Senate supposedly near a deal
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/senators-near-a-deal-on-background-checks-for-most-private-gun-sales/2013/02/23/d55e5f4a-7d0c-11e2-82e8-61a46c2cde3d_story.html

My local turd gargler McCain is one of the ringleaders of this mess.

I sent him this:

Senator: I strongly oppose any notion of "Universal Background Checks" for private sales of firearms. I will not comply. And I will be watching your vote on this issue. I am much more afraid of government, and Washington DC in particular, than I am of any criminals that might get guns via private party purchases. The government has already failed in so many ways in its various over-reachings. You people in DC are so out of touch. Sandy Hook has nothing to do with gunshow loopholes or private party transfers. Any action on the part of the Senate or House on this matter is a shameful attack on gun owners by a mechanism to implement a registry. Be ashamed of yourself for attempting this legislation. Be doubly ashamed if it passes. You dishonor the office.

Write your critters.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
Re: Universal Background Checks: Senate supposedly near a deal
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
I applaud what you did, but its still just urinating into the wind.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:33:52 PM »
My local turd gargler McCain is one of the ringleaders of this mess.

Shows it takes more to be a patriot than an honorable military record.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
Benedict Arnold had an honorable military record...for awhile.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »
My senators are Levin and Stabenow, so yeah...
Look, tiny text!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »
This goes nowhere without the House.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

CuriousAbootGuns

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
I'm just wondering what the opposition to background checks is. I will first freely confess that I do not yet own a firearm, but when I go to buy one I (personally) would not be opposed to having a background check run on me.

Why so much opposition? If I understand them correctly, you will still be able to purchase whatever you can already legally purchase, but you would have to wait for some period of time first. What am I missing?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
I'm just wondering what the opposition to background checks is. I will first freely confess that I do not yet own a firearm, but when I go to buy one I (personally) would not be opposed to having a background check run on me.

Why so much opposition? If I understand them correctly, you will still be able to purchase whatever you can already legally purchase, but you would have to wait for some period of time first. What am I missing?

Universal background checks make setting up registration easier, and registration leads to confiscation.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »

A healthy suspicion of the power of political persecution or government myopia.

As well as an appreciation of the notion of private property rights.

I can sell my table saw to anyone I want.  I can sell my dirtbike to anyone I want.  I can sell my software that I write to anyone I want.  I can sell my gun to anyone I want.

Look at the use of IRS audits as weapons.  The use of the TSA no-fly list or close examination list as political weapons.  You really think government can be trusted not to abuse a more extensive power to audit all gun sales, or to create a registry?

I don't.

And I will not comply.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CuriousAbootGuns

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 04:05:12 PM »
I guess I don't see confiscation as a real threat. I don't think it will happen, certainly not in my lifetime but probably not my children's either. I don't think the registry is that big of a deal.

In terms of property rights, the difference between a gun and a dirt bike or a table saw is that only one of those things can take away the lives of 10 people from 100 yards in a matter of seconds. I don't think it is unreasonable to track and regulate dangerous items, just like we do with deadly chemicals and explosives.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »
Curious, background checks are already required for firearms purchases from commercial gun dealers.   The Senate deal is to institute background checks for all gun sales between private individuals.  Bad juju for many reasons, most already listed above.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
Confiscation DID happen, both in New York and California.  =|

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »
Uhoh!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
Tell me what was the 2nd Amendment conceived for then?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
Curious, registration leading to confiscation of some firearms has already occurred in this country on two occasions that I can think of offhand, once in California and another time in New York if I am not mistaken.  Others may chime in with a correction.
And the whole, "take away the lives of 10 people from 100 yards in a matter of seconds" is nonsense.  It just doesn't happen, even in combat.
You're falling for sound bites.  Do a little research, find some facts, and get back to us.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »
I guess I don't see confiscation as a real threat. I don't think it will happen, certainly not in my lifetime but probably not my children's either. I don't think the registry is that big of a deal.

In terms of property rights, the difference between a gun and a dirt bike or a table saw is that only one of those things can take away the lives of 10 people from 100 yards in a matter of seconds. I don't think it is unreasonable to track and regulate dangerous items, just like we do with deadly chemicals and explosives.

It has already happened to SKS owners in California.
"It's good, though..."

CuriousAbootGuns

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
Man you guys are fast, thank you.

I know the long distance thing is BS, and that it almost never happens outside of the movies where every shot (from a good guy) is a head shot. But they do have the potential of doing a LOT of damage in a short period of time, and other items like certain chemical compounds and explosives are regulated and tracked simply as a means of limiting the potential damage.

In terms of background checks, thanks RocketMan, I thought that was the deal from the sound of it I thought that gun stores were NOT required to do background checks. I still don't know if I would oppose some way to track private sales although I'm not sure how you would do it.

In terms of confiscation, I'm at work so if someone could send me a link I would appreciate it. A quick google turned up an article about confiscation in california but in the article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/california-gun-confiscation_n_2717809.html it states "The program, which takes guns away from criminals and the mentally ill.." Given the source and the lack of time to read it at the moment, I wonder if anyone could confirm this?

I think that was everything...Thanks again guys. I am genuinely curious about this issue and absolutely think it is every law abiding citizens right to protect themselves and their families. I simply don't get a lot of chances to converse with many pro-gun rights voices on a regular basis.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »
Welcome aboard, Curious.  The thing about gun control that frosts me is that it is completely ineffective, a waste of time and resources.  Gun control has never worked to reduce crime.  And assault weapon bans (whatever an assault weapon is) will not stop mass killings.  Someone intent on quickly killing large numbers of people will find a way to do so, even if semi-automatic centerfire rifles are done away with.
In fact, there are many simpler ways to kill a lot of people more quickly with easily obtainable materials than using firearms.  If the left is eventually successful in their efforts, I predict even more people will die in mass killings, as infrequent as they are, as killers shift to other means.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:22:13 PM by RocketMan »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »
I still don't know if I would oppose some way to track private sales although I'm not sure how you would do it.

Works well on drugs, don't it?   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
Curious,

Are you by any chance a California resident?  This is what one of your Senators has to say about gun ownership.

http://www.therightscoop.com/dianne-feinstein-in-1995-i-would-have-confiscated-guns-if-i-could-have-gotten-the-votes/

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sen.-feinstein-suggests-national-buyback-of-guns/article/2516648

Of course Governor Cuomo was also very blunt about his desire to confiscate guns. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »
California confiscation of SKS rifles:

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/xcibviewitem.asp?id=195

New York City did something similar, and conducted raids.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »
Curious, Are by any chance from Canada, eh?  ("aboot")   :laugh:  No offense intended.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »
Universal background check is nothing more than crushing private commerce. And if you don't comply every court will uphold the feds crushing you since it is interstate commerce regulation. It is not the goal, it is the means to an end. Anyone who hates guns and thinks about it knows it will be ineffective. They want to create more criminals with the side benefit of scaring away new people to the gun world.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »
Man you guys are fast, thank you.

Not really.  We've just been over this, again and again.

I know the long distance thing is BS, and that it almost never happens outside of the movies where every shot (from a good guy) is a head shot.

Basically, don't believe anything about guns you see in a movie or on the stupid box.  Or anymore, have read to you by the major news media.  A combination of factual cluelessness and an evil agenda.

But they do have the potential of doing a LOT of damage in a short period of time,

Otherwise we wouldn't own them.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:48:52 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.