Author Topic: Universal Background Checks: Senate supposedly near a deal  (Read 31493 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: Universal Background Checks: Senate supposedly near a deal
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »
Obligatory Universal Background Checks are not about preventing any one particularly dangerous individual from obtaining a gun, they are about creating general conditions that will make it more costly, time consuming for the general population to arm itself... with the aim of reducing, over time, the prevalence of gun ownership amongst those that are inclined to follow the law, i.e. taxpayers. More alarmingly such laws will slowly but surely condition people to accept the false premise that they must get "permission" from the State to own a weapon.

You do not need "permission" to exercise the Right to Keep and Bear Arms any more than you would need it to breathe.

UBCs= Priming the stage for registration, creating the mindset for confiscation.

Feinstein's Bill was a smoke screen, and we just got flanked by their main attack.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »
Obligatory Universal Background Checks are not about preventing any one particularly dangerous individual from obtaining a gun, they are about creating general conditions that will make it more costly, time consuming for the general population to arm itself... with the aim of reducing, over time, the prevalence of gun ownership amongst those that are inclined to follow the law, i.e. taxpayers. More alarmingly such laws will slowly but surely condition people to accept the false premise that they must get "permission" from the State to own a weapon.

You do not need "permission" to exercise the Right to Keep and Bear Arms any more than you would need it to breathe.

UBCs= Priming the stage for registration, creating the mindset for confiscation.

Feinstein's Bill was a smoke screen, and we just got flanked by their main attack.

Given Bidens comments on how they don't go after prohibited people, I would also add anger reason. They are doing this to be able to show th public how much they care and to provide the impression that they are doing something.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »

Flanked?

My assessment (from week two of this) was that their real goal was "universal background checks" --> registration --> contraband declaration --> "amnesty" --> confiscation.

For several days my Tweets expressed this. (UBC == registration == confiscation).

And every time the issue shows up, I wade in one more time to make it clear that the goal is disarmament.

This, of course, is the precursor to the criminalization of dissent.

See Venezuela for a working model of the "eliminating dissent" paradigm.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
NRA-ILA Letter to Senators re: Background Checks

What's that feeling?  Air above my shoulders...  It's like I haven't been thrown under the bus by the NRA, after all.

Color me surprised.

Have we kicked enough of the Fudds off the NRA board by this point that they get it?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
What's that feeling?  Air above my shoulders...  It's like I haven't been thrown under the bus by the NRA, after all.

Color me surprised.

Have we kicked enough of the Fudds off the NRA board by this point that they get it?

I've been an NRA member about 8 or 10 years and never received a ballot.  Do you have to be a Lifer to vote?
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2013, 03:43:28 PM »
I've been an NRA member about 8 or 10 years and never received a ballot.  Do you have to be a Lifer to vote?

5 years continuous membership. You should have gotten a ballot. Perhaps it got lost amongst the other mail they sent you?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »

Color me surprised.

Did you not read the last paragraph?  Or did I miss something substantial in the preceding paragraphs?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »
Did you not read the last paragraph?  Or did I miss something substantial in the preceding paragraphs?

I think he's saying he's surprised the NRA didn't cave and end up endorsing UBC's as a "compromise" to avoid harsher BS.