Author Topic: What hell? I just got a breaking news alert that a Congressman has been shot?  (Read 31808 times)

dogmush

• friend
Several of us on this board have said versions of "It's getting worse" and "Violence is coming" since the Oct/Nov time frame.  Why the surprise when it starts to happen? I think it likely to come from the left, simply because they are the ones without hope right now and the hopeless are more likely to resort to extremism.

I think it's likely that we are going to seem more political violence in this country.  There are a lot of crazies out there, and a whole lot of people telling them the world is ending.  SOME of them are going to believe it.

Pb

• friend
The shooter is just as likely to be a Republican/conservative/right winger fed up with the BS of the Republican party.  Not that political affiliations matter.

I doubt it.  I'm guessing a either crazy person or a leftist.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Maybe castle key or someone can weigh in: It's most likely the news getting things wrong, but I just heard mention that the Capitol Police that were there were armed with revolvers. It's been a while since I saw any of them in person, but I don't recall them carrying revolvers?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Last I heard Capitol Police were still carrying Glocks or Sigs in .40 as their duty weapons.

Given that Scalise has a protection detail given his position, and they weren't at the capitol at the time, they might have been carrying off duty weapons.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Maybe castle key or someone can weigh in: It's most likely the news getting things wrong, but I just heard mention that the Capitol Police that were there were armed with revolvers. It's been a while since I saw any of them in person, but I don't recall them carrying revolvers?

"Revolver" is journalism for "sidearm."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Sorry to derail already, but:

Interviewee: "It was an AK-47"
Reporter: "How do you know?"
Interviewee: "I play video games".
Reporter: "There you have it, a high powered rifle was reportedly used".

Other reporter: "A curved magazine clip".

Other reporter: "A large gauge rifle that may have sprayed up to 100 rounds".

Argh.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
As we know, Virginia has no background checks, and everybody carries concealed rifles.

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/874972278576033792

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Several of us on this board have said versions of "It's getting worse" and "Violence is coming" since the Oct/Nov time frame.  Why the surprise when it starts to happen? I think it likely to come from the left, simply because they are the ones without hope right now and the hopeless are more likely to resort to extremism.

I think it's likely that we are going to seem more political violence in this country.  There are a lot of crazies out there, and a whole lot of people telling them the world is ending.  SOME of them are going to believe it.

Ayep.

As always, it's a mix of issues. But yes, we're going back to the good old days of hyper partisan politics and yellow journalism. Think Spanish American War type politics.

People tend to build echo chambers for themselves. Most people on the left get their news from HuffPo, MSNBC, or CNN. People on the right get their news from Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Fox News, etc. Accuracy on either side is a joke, and even when accurate it's framed by partisan ideology. The internet offers a huge range of options for news, most of them are not used by most people.

The 24/7 news cycle is also pretty bad 99.9% of the time. Everything is Armageddon, all the time. No context is provided. News by absolutely everyone is fast and generally bad quality. Hence why stories change ten times. Because news agencies push information without actually verifying it.

The other sad aspect of the internet is... Crazy people are being told they're not crazy. No, it's not just people who identify as otherkin transpacific Apache Helicopters. But those types too. Before the interwebz, you had a large number of people with small or large mental issues and they were just crazy. Now, they can and do find other people like themselves. Who tell them they are not crazy. Add in echo chambers, it can get ugly in a hurry. People start seeing other people expressing opinions as Literally Nazis, or Literally Hitler. Or whatever their mind substitutes as being the real world absolutely worst thing that could be created by humans, such as Hawaiian pizza.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Or whatever their mind substitutes as being the real world absolutely worst thing that could be created by humans, such as Hawaiian pizza.

Hawaiian pizza isn't pizza, but it's still good if assembled properly.

Now, back to the pre-veer veer.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
And the VA Governor during a press briefing: "This is not for today's discussion, but..." Then goes into an anti-gun propaganda tirade that has nothing to do with the case.

Perd Hapley

• friend
...the real world absolutely worst thing that could be created by humans, such as Hawaiian pizza.

An issue we can agree on. And why do the Hawaiians get a pass on cultural appropriation?  :mad:

This should restore our faith in our fellow man:

https://news.grabien.com/story-left-wing-twitter-celebrates-shooting-rep-scalise

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Shooter tentatively being identified as an IL resident. So much for "VA lax gun laws".

Perd Hapley

• friend
Shooter tentatively being identified as an IL resident. So much for "VA lax gun laws".

Some are reporting that "his" Facebook page is full of Bernie support and Trump hatred. If it's indeed his.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.

Feeling hopeless or out of power will certainly exacerbate it, but the Left has ALWAYS had the top rung of the leaderboard for body-count by orders of magnitude since the beginning of the 20th century, because it's ultimately an "ends justify the means" ideology.

This is because the Left is obsessed with the rights of groups. Which in of itself is a negative construct, and an oxymoron, because groups don't have rights. Only individual people do. Just like how we'll sometimes nitpick and tut-tut the nominal Right whenever assertions are made about States Rights, because there is no such thing as "states rights", states may or may not have "powers" but they don't have "rights".

But when you succumb to the pathology of that kind of thinking and group rights, almost any atrocity becomes possible. Because all you need to do is identify a larger needier group (in their minds at least) and any kind of deprivation, down to one's own life becomes acceptable in the name of "the greater good".
I promise not to duck.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Bernie loving Trump hater is how the shooter has been ID'd. Just one source for now.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/17524/alleged-shooter-identified-james-t-hodgkinson-66-ben-shapiro#

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh dear, how are the lefties going to spin this one?

By calling for more gun control!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon

Or "revolver" is used as a generic term for sidearm.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Or "revolver" is used as a generic term for sidearm.

That is bizarrely common.

freakazoid

• friend
Apparently this is his facebook, https://m.facebook.com/james.hodgkinson.568?tsid=0.009623089090398995&source=result&hc_location=ufi Which is fully of Bernie support and anti-Trump. If true, then this might be lucky for us as the shooting will get dropped from the media pretty quick.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Already triggered up a lefty on Facebook lol
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
Already triggered up a lefty on Facebook lol

Is he going to the gun show, to get a ghost gun?

Perd Hapley

• friend
The evil loser (reportedly) belonged to a number of anti-Trump, anti-GOP Facebook groups.

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article156065789.html

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
No! Not possible! This is the false flag!

If he were truly a Bernie supporter, he would never own, or even touch, an evil, evil gun, because Bernie says they are evil!

He was drugged by Carl Rove!

Perd Hapley

• friend
:facepalm: :facepalm:
I really hope no one but the shooter dies...

Your wish is granted.

Perd Hapley

• friend
No! Not possible! This is the false flag!

Yeah, I bet Scalise is a crisis actor, just like that fraud, JFK.