Author Topic: Times Square NY, 14 / 15 August, 1945  (Read 690 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Times Square NY, 14 / 15 August, 1945
« on: August 15, 2020, 06:12:18 AM »

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Times Square NY, 14 / 15 August, 1945
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 08:51:50 AM »
They found his chain of command in the nursing homes and wish to have a word with him regarding sexual harassment.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 09:19:00 AM »
'#MeToo' spray-painted on iconic statue of WWII sailor kissing nurse
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/19/us/sailor-kissing-nurse-statute-vandalized-trnd/index.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »
You can't assume someone's gender, but you can assume they don't want to kiss the person they're kissing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 12:54:10 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/vj-day-times-square-kiss-the-unexpected-true-story-behind-that-famous-photo/ar-BB17Zay9

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nurse-iconic-times-square-sailor-kiss-photo-dead-92-article-1.2786739

The blogger noted comments from Greta Friedman's 2005 Veterans History Project interview. "It wasn't my choice to be kissed," Friedman said. "The guy just came over and grabbed!"

Joshua Friedman told TheNews that his mother was sympathetic to that view, but held no ill will against Mendonsa. In fact, the two became friendly, even exchanging Christmas cards, after meeting in the 1980s.

"My mom always had an appreciation for a feminist viewpoint, and understood the premise that you don't have a right to be intimate with a stranger on the street," Josh Friedman said. "(But) she didn't assign any bad motives to George in that circumstance, that situation, that time."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/karinabland/2019/02/20/post-war-kiss-iconic-picture-unwanted-sexual-advance/2928622002/

The woman in the photo, whose married name was Greta Zimmer Friedman, said the kiss wasn’t consensual.

“It wasn't my choice to be kissed,” she said in a 2005 interview for the Library of Congress’ Veterans History Project. “The guy just came over and kissed or grabbed.”

In 2016, after her death at 92, her son, Joshua Friedman, told The New York Times that, while his mother understood the contention that it was an unwanted sexual advance, she did not view it that way.

In the 2005 interview, Zimmer said, "It was just somebody really celebrating. But it wasn't a romantic event. It was just an event of 'thank God the war is over' kind of thing."

"It wasn't that much of a kiss, it was more of a jubilant act that he didn't have to go back," she said. "And the reason he grabbed someone dressed like a nurse was that he just felt very grateful to nurses who took care of the wounded."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic