Author Topic: So what do I call this piece of furniture?  (Read 2601 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
So what do I call this piece of furniture?
« on: December 21, 2005, 04:46:11 PM »
I bought this big and heavy chunk of oak at the McClellan AFB thrift shop back in 1994, it appears it was too big for somebody's PCS move, so they put it on consignment there.  I spent all of about $200 for it, and have been racking my brain ever since trying to figure out where and when it was made, and how to insure it. It most closely resembles what one would call a Wooten Desk, but is very square and almost Scandinavian in design and construction.  Here's what it looks like all closed up:

And here's what it looks like with the sides opened up, and the center desktop pulled out, drop leafs each side swung up and locked:

I can find no maker's mark or stamp, but it's a very solid piece of oak through and through.  The drawer under the slide-out desk top has a cedar bottom, with routed organizer slots for pens, pencils, etc.  I'd like to get it appraised for insurance purposes since I'm getting ready to move again.  Antiques Roadshow won't be in the neighborhood for a while, so I'm at a loss.  Anybody else seen one of these, and have any info on the species?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 05:35:54 PM »
Interesting.  It doesn't look very old, but it certainly seems to be solidly built.  Danish Modern maybe?

What type of joints in the drawers (dovetail, butt, patent)?

I am guessing it is somebody's very ambitious shop project.  Value, probably not a whole lot than you paid for it.  It's one of those things that if you have a use for it, it is valuable.  At an auction, I doubt if it would bring a whole lot.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 05:35:58 PM »
You don't need to take it to Antiques Roadshow.

It's a pretty modern piece called an armoire desk.

Judging by the style, I'd say 1970s, and yes, it's probably from Europe. They were/are popular in Europe because they give you a tremendous amount of space in a relatively small footprint, an important consideration in tight apartments or homes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Preacherman

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 06:02:03 PM »
Good call, Mike!  I was just thinking that the Bible mentions this somewhere, and you reminded me of the verse from St. Paul...

Put on the whole armoire of God
Tongue
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 06:28:43 PM »
I'd considered the armoire desk, but the shelves and filing spaces on the deep swing-out doors made me think of something closer to the Wooten Desk or even Officer's Field Desk.  

It's now the home of my laptop when I'm not traveling with the machine. I also make use of it come income tax time.  Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 07:32:22 PM »
My exwife's great aunt had a piece very much like this, only hers was cherry wood and fairly ornate. It was a good call for her because she was a resident of the Distaff Officer's Home (widow of a 3 star army general) and it put a lot into a small space.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Strings

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 07:55:23 PM »
can somebody PLEASE do something about Preacherman and his puns? Tongue

As for what you should call it: I'd recommend calling it Bob. but that's just me... :neener:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 08:23:36 PM »
"Good call, Mike!  I was just thinking that the Bible mentions this somewhere, and you reminded me of the verse from St. Paul...

Put on the whole armoire of God"

Maybe that answers the questions I've had over the years about Jesus being a closet case or not...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 01:15:44 AM »
Just thinking about moving it makes my back ache...

Nice though!

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 03:48:37 AM »
Looks like a piece of barracks furniture.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 06:01:38 AM »
why would this require separate insurance?

its a used, 1990s 200 dollar cabinet desk...

now if it was something more than Oak minimalist modern
it might be worth more than its replacement cost of 500-1000 bucks

heres a hallmark 24k buck innocuous piece:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 07:49:47 AM »
Harold, who said it required separate insurance? I know it wasn't me.  Do you know something I don't? I don't have a $24K vintage bookshelf sans books, true, but who pissed in your wheaties this morning to cause you to slam my weird oak desk?

I've taken pictures and written descriptions of ALL my household stuff every time Uncle Sam said it was time for a new assignment in the last 20 years. I'm doing it again since my ex-wife kept the original list, and the government movers have a fair chance at ruining things during my final Air Force move to my retirement home of choice.  I'm just trying to come up with a good description of what that big oak box is for the purposes of a potential claim, although I pray it never happens.  My Tektronix Phaser 780 color business/office laser, that's easy, because it says so right on the machine, and I can pretty easily figure out what it is and when it was made.  This desk isn't coughing up answers quite so easy, so I simply asked around.

Cheese & rice, remind me not to next time.  At least I have something to write about in today's blog entry.  Sad

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 09:47:55 AM »
I'd like to get it appraised for insurance purposes
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 09:55:10 AM »
Along the same lines as the good Padre said.  It may have been a piece of furniture previously owned by an illustrator or someone into animation.  You know, a chest of draws.  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 10:38:42 AM »
This statement by Gew: "I'd like to get it appraised for insurance purposes"

is NOT the same as saying that he wants to get separate defined coverage for the item.

I understood Gew's request as he meant it -- that he wants a total contents valuation on his household items.

That provides the insurer/insured with a total value of all property in the house as a lump sum figure.

I have three items in my house that have their own separate, specific, defined coverage notations on my insurance policy. Everything else, TV, stereo, sofa, bed, computer, etc., are all part of the total contents valuation.

Anyone who doesn't keep a running list of the approximate value of the contents of their home, including serial numbers and/or photographs, isn't being very intelligent.

In fact, I'm not being very intelligent as I've not updated mine in over a year.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 10:49:28 AM »
Old computer desk.  Printer goes in the bottom right center, 233 computer goes in the center section just below the shelf and the rest is for storage.  Used in barracks where room to move is an issue.

Only thing I can't figure out is where to put the damn monitor.Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 10:55:23 AM »
Gew's isn't a computer desk. It is actually a writing desk/office center.

The ones for computers are quite a bit different.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 05:40:34 PM »
Ok, can't blame a man for trying Wink

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 06:41:46 PM »
Preacherman, does the Armoire of G-d include a chest protector?  

And is the the inspiration for the hymn "Dresser my Lord to Thee"?

I just love these theological deskussions!

Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.