Author Topic: How do I save emails to CD?  (Read 1258 times)

Fudgieghost

How do I save emails to CD?
« on: December 23, 2005, 05:45:17 AM »
Looks like I'll be getting a new (used) computer from a friend, so I'll be able to replace the steam powered antique I'm currently using---(let's see, all I've got running is the 'net and my processor is max'd out!).

So, I'm gearing up to move all my data, software, etc to the new machine.  I have saved my 'net bookmarks to CD, but I also want to save some emails as well.  I tried the "export" function in my Outlook Express, but that only will move the data to Outlook or another email program.  I tried the "Move to Folder" option, but that only moves the emails to other folders you have set up within Outlook.

So, how do I get these emails onto a CD, so I can reinstall them in the new 'puter?

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 06:07:04 AM »
Ok, this probably isn't the most elegant solution, but it's the only one I know of.  Go to "Tools", then select "Options."  Click on the Maintenance Tab.  There you will so a button labeled "Store Folder..."  Click it.  This will bring up a window saying "Your personal message store is located in the following folder:"  Go to the path listed below.

There you will find a bunch of files with the extension .dbx.  There will be on file for each folder in your Outlook Express (Inbox, Sent Items, Drafts, etc).  Copy all of those files onto a disk.  

On your new computer, go through the same process to find the folder where Outlook is storing your mail.  Go to that folder and copy all your old .dbx files there.  Your old e-mails should show up in Outlook now.

IMPORTANT:  This is an all or nothing process.  If you download a bunch of new e-mails onto your new computer, then copy over your old files, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR NEW E-MAILS.  There is no way to merge the two.  

My advice is copy the old .dbx files before connecting to the Internet.  That way any new messages you download will be added to your old ones.

Fudgieghost

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 06:34:45 AM »
Phantom: thanks for the info.  But I can't find "Local Settings" within my "Documents & Settings" folder!

robear

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 07:00:52 AM »
Fudgieghost:

The Local Settings folder is a hidden folder.  To see it, open "My Computer" and go to Tools->Folder Options.
Click on the View tab.   Now scroll down until you find a setting that says "Show hidden files and folders"  Select this, hit OK.   Now look again for your Local Settings folder.  It should be there.

Put the setting back when you're done.

Luck,
R

Fudgieghost

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 07:07:32 AM »
Phantom: ok that worked!  Thanks for your help.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 12:30:34 PM »
if the new computer is running windows xp, use the files & settings transfer wizard to save all this off to a temporary directory.  copy that to cd, then run F&STW on the new to import.

This only works for XP.  MS has a command line tool (user state migration tool) that should do it for other versions of windows, if you want to wrestle with it (I don't).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.