Author Topic: Christmas got you down? FESTIVUS!  (Read 915 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Christmas got you down? FESTIVUS!
« on: December 23, 2005, 07:10:14 AM »
Tonight, December 23rd, we join together in celebration of Festivus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
Join us on irc.freenode.net, #festivus, if you're an IRC type.
The Airing of Grievances begins promptly at 11 PM Eastern, but if that's past your bedtime, you can certainly show up early.  I'll be in the channel all day.

Frank Costanza: Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had,       but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
    Cosmo Kramer: What happened to the doll?
    Frank Costanza: It was destroyed. But out of that a new holiday was born . . . a Festivus for the rest of us!
    Cosmo Kramer: That must've been some kind of doll.
    Frank Costanza: She was.
* The Festivus Pole: The Costanzas' tradition begins with a bare aluminum pole (originally a Scandinavian phallic symbol), which Frank praises for its "very high strength-to-weight ratio." During Festivus, an unadorned aluminum pole is displayed. The pole was chosen apparently in opposition to the commercialization of highly decorated Christmas trees, because it is "very low-maintenance," and also because the holiday's patron, Frank Costanza, "find tinsel distracting."

* Festivus Dinner: The Festivus dinner menu is flexible, but it should consist of filling, non-holiday comfort food (no turkey, duck, goose, or ham). The televised dinner featured what may have been meatloaf or spaghetti in a red sauce. (Presumably, an entree in a red sauce is more festive.) Kruger took a flask out from his jacket and took a swig; so one might interpret that drinking is optional.

* The Airing of Grievances: At the Festivus dinner, each participant tells friends and family of all the instances where they disappointed him or her that year.

* The Feats of Strength: The head of the family tests his or her strength against one participant of the head's choosing. Festivus is not considered over until the head of the family has been pinned to the ground. A participant is allowed to decline to attempt to pin the head of the family only if they have something better to do instead.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Christmas got you down? FESTIVUS!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 03:57:19 PM »
I tried to bring up the Airing of Grievances today at staff meeting and got a lot of strange looks.....

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.