Author Topic: What's with wheat futures?  (Read 1805 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
What's with wheat futures?
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:26:48 PM »
I traded commodities for a few years, broke even, and got tired of doing it. So I really don't pay much attention to futures these days.

But I started paying attention when wheat was making moves of 30 cents a day. What's with that? Wheat was the most boring grain to trade, as it only moved a couple of cents either way.

I haven't been watching national weather, either, but I'm guessing that the plains states are getting socked with rain.

Am I right?

Big_R

• friend
Re: What's with wheat futures?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 01:10:45 PM »
My guess is all the farmers thought they were going to get $4.00/bushel corn so no one planted wheat.

I told my BIL to plant everything he had in wheat, but did he listen to me?  Noooooooo.

Ryan

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 01:14:58 PM »
It was kinda hard for them to get excited about putting in a crop when wheat's been hovering around the three dollar mark for so long.  Now that it's topped the five bill mark I bet we see a bunch more production.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »
Big_R, I was always told that it was corn and soybeans that were the interchangeable crops, and that wheat required a different soil or climate. Right or wrong?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »
Since we're now using food (corn) to run our cars, other crops will be more scarce thus more expensive.  The status quo in commodities, if you have the balls, will be meaningless, and money will be made in oddball neccessities.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 04:18:41 PM »
Wheat and barley more expensive = BEER more expensive.   sad

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 04:45:07 PM »
Wheat and barley more expensive = BEER more expensive.   sad
Damn, hadn't thought of that.   angry
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 07:59:09 PM »
What's with wheat futures?

Well, y'know, I think tha-- Zzzzzzz....

Zzzzzz...

Zzzzzz...

~BakerMike
 cheesy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 08:01:42 PM »
I think it has something to do with this thread:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=8813.150
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »
Grampster, you're right to an extent. Again, as I was taught, corn and soybeans are fungible crops. If one makes more money, plant that.

But wheat never figured into the equation very much back when I was trading futures. It was almost a sideline commodity.

These 30 cent moves represent $1500 per contract (just ask Hillary; she'll certainly be able to explain the process). These 30 cent moves are limit moves. I saw them in pork bellies and other volatile futures, but not in wheat.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 06:00:55 AM »
My guess is all the farmers thought they were going to get $4.00/bushel corn so no one planted wheat.

I told my BIL to plant everything he had in wheat, but did he listen to me?  Noooooooo.

Ryan

I think its because of ethanol and government handouts subsidies.....they are planting corn because its more profitable.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 11:19:52 AM »
Here in  Texas, corn is an iffy proposition.  The recent subsidies & mandates have had the effect of folks risking a bad/no corn harvest versus what they otherwise would plant.

I suspect a similar phenomenon occurs everywhere on the margins where one could plant corn or something else.

Toss into the mix the higher fuel prices due to the price of oil, refining capacity, fuel cocktail mandates, eth mandates, etc, and it is no wonder inflation is getting a mite frisky.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 05:30:47 PM »
Big_R, I was always told that it was corn and soybeans that were the interchangeable crops, and that wheat required a different soil or climate. Right or wrong?

Both.

Wheat and Soybeans rotated yearly are great.  up until recently corn has been the hit or miss crop.  The best use for corn around here is chopped silage, not grain market (thank you, idiot eco-nuts).   Traditionally, Soybeans are where the money is. 

Soybeans also beat many locals around here in the 70's when for a couple years they went for BIG money, and a bunch of morons went out and bought lots of new land and fancy equipment on the promise of Beans continuing profit, which proved to be a huge FUBAR 

as for soil/climate, Ohio is good for all three.  can't comment on it otherwise .