Author Topic: And one more reason to be afraid - very afraid - of spiders  (Read 1153 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
And one more reason to be afraid - very afraid - of spiders
« on: April 19, 2015, 02:38:21 PM »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-laws-for-new-threats-like-drones-and-bioterrorism-1429297143?mod=WSJ_hp_RightTopStories

You walk into your shower and see a spider. You don’t know whether it is venomous—or whether it is even a real spider. It could be a personal surveillance mini-drone set loose by your nosy next-door neighbor, who may be monitoring the tiny octopod robot from her iPhone 12. A more menacing possibility: Your business competitor has sent a robotic attack spider, bought from a bankrupt military contractor, to take you out. Your assassin, who is vacationing in Provence, will direct the spider to shoot an infinitesimal needle containing a lethal dose of poison into your left leg—and then self-destruct.

The article goes on to discuss anarchist microbiologists splicing genes, and computer hackers.  Who cares?  Assassin spiders with remote monitoring?  And knowing how most fools cannot keep their big mouths shut and thus get away with The Crime Of The Century there are sure to be snuff films on YouTube.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: And one more reason to be afraid - very afraid - of spiders
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:22:07 PM »
And we all know that when military contractors go bankrupt, they just auction off all the top secret hardware at public auction.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »
I guess now I need to rebuild my house so it is a big Faraday cage.  

Where are the hunter-killer drones that search and patrol for invading drones? 

Wouldn't most of these show up on infrared pretty well?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »
^"I guess now I need to rebuild my house so it is a big Faraday cage. "

Nah, just put tinfoil on the roof.  They're controlled through satellite links, aren't they?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:33:14 AM »
What would that actually take anyway?  Could you just put a rough wire mesch on the inside of the sheet rock of the outer wall?  I don't know how windows and other opening would affect it.

Of course, if successful I would have to use my wifi for any radio I wanted to listen to.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
^"I guess now I need to rebuild my house so it is a big Faraday cage. "

Nah, just put tinfoil on the roof.  They're controlled through satellite links, aren't they?

Just make sure you put the shiney side in the proper orientation.  Screw it up and those waves will pass right thru.

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/build.html

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-laws-for-new-threats-like-drones-and-bioterrorism-1429297143?mod=WSJ_hp_RightTopStories

The article goes on to discuss anarchist microbiologists splicing genes, and computer hackers.  Who cares?  Assassin spiders with remote monitoring?  And knowing how most fools cannot keep their big mouths shut and thus get away with The Crime Of The Century there are sure to be snuff films on YouTube.

stay safe.

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 05:52:57 PM »
Somebody sends a spider with a camera in to spy on me in the shower they deserve the images they get.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:05:57 PM »
MechAg94 asked,

Could you just put a rough wire mesh on the inside of the sheet rock of the outer wall?

Good question.  I suspect it depends on the size of the openings versus wavelength.  Super-high and UHF frequencies are funny.  I note that the holes in the microwave oven door screens are about 1/16th-ish inches, so obviously they can't get through that, at 2450MHz, 12 cm wavelength.

On the other hand, I was always fascinated by the fact that folks could use their cell phones on the elevators at work.  UHF and SHF waves bounce around a lot and like mice, can sneak through small openings.

And on my third hand, I note that my over-the air TV reception gets boogered up when the trees outside get wet, so obviously, they reflect (or absorb) a lot.

Trouble is, I cut my teeth in radio when 50MHz was virtually the "edge of the universe" when it came to shorty-short wave communications.  I was stunned when Son2 built a quad loop to receive the International Space Station conversations at 70cm (420 to 450 MHz).

Why, a person can't even shake a stick back and forth that fast. :old:

So...long and short of it:  I don't know the mesh size required, and offhand, don't even know the frequencies involved in satellite control/communications.  I think they're on the "government band" around 800MHz, but my Radio Amateur's Handbook is from 1986, anno domini.  Might as well be 1986 BCE.

When you start talking waveguides as opposed to good ole garden-hose-like RG-8U coaxial cable, I get lost.

Terry

REF (Just for kinda "concretizing" some frequencies up there):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_television_frequencies  

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:44:42 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.