Author Topic: Lost a friend today.  (Read 1353 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Lost a friend today.
« on: June 01, 2008, 04:14:30 PM »
Just found out that one of my 1st Sgt's from 2002-2003 lost his life today.  He was a great man, very professional and a respected Senior NCO.  I got to know him pretty good not only on-duty but off-duty as well.  My wife worked for his wife as well. 

He will be missed.

Story below;

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/frontpage/86920.php

TPD officer on life support after cross-town gunbattle; suspect in custody
A.J. FLICK
Tucson Citizen

A Tucson police officer is on life support and not expected to live after a man allegedly shot him once in the head.
Tucson Police Chief Richard Miranda said TPD officer Erik Hite, 43, was "ambushed" Sunday after a cross-city pursuit.

David Nickolas Delich, 26, was arrested at Molino Basin after police and deputies chased him sporadically from the Northwest Side of town to Catalina Highway on the Northeast Side.
"It's with a heavy heart we're here today after an officer gave the ultimate sacrifice," Miranda said at an afternoon press conference.
"I'm definitely feeling responsible," Miranda said. "Officers go out every single day and put their lives on the line and I'm in charge.
"For me there's a sense of responsibility, a sense of sadness," he said. "I feel absolutely terrible."

Tucson Mayor Bob Walkup expressed his condolences to Hite's wife, children and parents.
"I'm proud of the Tucson Police Department and the sheriff's department for getting a really bad person off the street," Walkup said.
Hite, a four-year veteran of the Tucson police, joined after serving in the U.S. Air Force for 21 years.
His wife, Nohemy Hite, and infant daughter, Samantha, were with Hite at a local hospital, Miranda said. Hite's son, Roy David Hite, is serving in the military in San Antonio, Texas, and his parents, Patsy and Roy Hite, are on their way to Tucson, Miranda said.
The rolling gun battle also wounded two deputies.
The incident began around 9:49 a.m. as a man, later identified as Delich, alleged fired at two homes with an assault rifle in the 8400 block of North Placita de la Manzana, said Sheriff's Department Bureau Chief Rick Kastigar. There were no injuries.
After residents called 911, a deputy encountered Delich's car at North Oracle Road at West Ina Road, Kastigar said.
Delich allegedly shot the deputy in his arm, but the injured deputy chased Delich southward toward River Road, when the deputy lost contact, Kastigar said.
At 11 a.m., there were four sheriff's cars - one with what appeared to be a gunshot through the windshield - and one Tucson police car at the Jack-in-the-Box at River and Oracle, according to a Tucson Citizen photographer at the scene.
Other deputies caught sight of Delich's car near North Swan Road and East River Road, Kastigar said.
The chase continued to Tanque Verde Road, where Delich allegedly exchanged gunfire on the Tanque Verde Bridge, with no injuries reported.
Law enforcement officers set up stop sticks, intended to disable Delich's car, on Tanque Verde Road, but he turned left on a side street near Tomahawk Trail.
"Officer Hite was ambushed," Miranda said. "There was thought behind what the suspect did."
Miranda wouldn't elaborate, citing the ongoing investigation.
Hite, who was shot around 10:27 a.m., was taken by helicopter to a hospital, according to a Citizen photographer at that scene.
Delich was able to evade law enforcement officers until he reached Catalina Highway on the base of Mount Lemmon, Kastigar said.
Delich allegedly shot a sheriff's deputy around milepost 1.5. The officer's head was grazed, Kastigar said.
The chase continued for a couple of miles up Catalina Highway until Delich surrendered at Molina Basin, Kastigar said.
Law enforcement officials have declined so far to say what Delich, a Sabino High School graduate, has been charged with.
Miranda wouldn't comment on the type of weapon involved, but said officers found weapons in Delich's car.
Tucson police Capt. Clayton Kidd said it's not known how many officers were involved in the incident or if any of them returned fire.
Molina said Delich allegedly shot both from his car and from outside his car, but wouldn't elaborate.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: Lost a friend today.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend, Lenny.   sad

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 05:01:29 PM »
Sorry, Lenny. Shame for a good man to go down, by th elikes of Hite!

Hang in there, man,
Prayers for all involved!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 07:24:36 PM »
Sorry to hear.

Prayers for the family.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:36:19 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about this.

"I'm definitely feeling responsible," Miranda said. "Officers go out every single day and put their lives on the line and I'm in charge.
"For me there's a sense of responsibility, a sense of sadness," he said. "I feel absolutely terrible."

I have to say, though, if I were a police officer, I'd want a Chief like that.  That's a statement from the heart, not a politician or media relations flunky.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 04:05:57 AM »
My condolences as well...  sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!