Author Topic: Getting started riding a motorcycle  (Read 14230 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Getting started riding a motorcycle
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2008, 06:01:56 AM »
A word of warning on chaps, they will not protect you in a crash. There is no leather on one area that commonly slides across the pavement: Your butt.

I guess I can see that, but if they're useless why are they sold as protective gear?

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2008, 06:47:16 AM »
Same reason people buy Skid Lids: They look cool.  rolleyes

Chaps go way back, they were originally worn by guys on horses. Now, they fit the "image" that many riders strive for. They're a step better than jeans but, like Bedlamite said, there's no protection for what you sit on.

The Fox Creek leathers look nice, but I encourage you to look at textile gear. Living in the NW, leather is going to be unpractical for much of the year. Wet leather is not the most comfortable thing out there.

I ride with a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket and Cortech overpants. That combination keeps me comfortable until temperatures drop into the mid-forties, at which point I add my Gerbing liner and gloves. With the heated gear on I'm good down to freezing, rain or shine.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2008, 07:00:51 AM »
Whenever I see someone in chaps, I keep expecting to see them followed by someone with a whip. rolleyes
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2008, 09:30:38 AM »
You guys ride to a different drummer than I.......chris3

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2008, 01:07:57 PM »
I almost bought a set of chaps once, but not necessarily for riding. My wife thought I'd look sexy in them.  shocked

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »
I wouldn't wear chaps but then again I ride street bikes.
But I can see their use, they protect the front of the legs
against the elements while riding but are not oppressively
hot when you get off the bike.

Before I had a mesh jacket, I wore a leather jacket in the summer
in south Florida while riding, warm when riding HOT
when not.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

detritus

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »
I'll tag along to the end of this (least for now) b/c I am another member looking into cycles (as well as large scooters). 

My personal situation is that both my wife and i are in a position where two-wheel transport is increasingly appealing, and we've both decided that we want to persue it, her in the form of a highway rated scooter (ie suzuki bergman or similar) and me in either such a scooter or a cruiser/standard of less than 800cc (the Honda Shadow Aero being a good example of what felt comfortable when i sat down on it, and it's ~750cc engine size being the top of what i'm even willing to look at)

My concerns are that i have been having trouble finding decent info on modern scooters like we're interested in and i've gotten some conflicting info Re: the MSF course as offered in texas.  anyone got a good link to forum that has a "comprehensive reader/member-ship"??  the one i used to read through has gone teh way of being dominated by sportbikes and NSFW girly pics angry

add to the above that i am for want of better desciptives a "big guy" 6' tall 54" waist and a big head, and i'm not even sure where to start looking for protective gear.  as well as where to have SWMBO look for such gear for herself.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2008, 02:40:29 PM »
Still, this thread is enjoyable reading.  There seem to be many motorcycle owners here, and not one of you is brain dead.

That is perhaps arguable ...

I second the idea of buying a small-ish, used bike for the first season. My first bike, many years ago, was a Honda CB350 twin. It was what was referred to above as a "standard" style -- the same bike with a single, high pipe and knobby tires was (IIRC) the CL350. My friends at the time were riding 650s and 750s (back when 650 and 750 wasn't sneered at as a "small" bike). I couldn't match them for acceleration, and the chassis was a tad on the small side for my 6'-3" (then) height, but it was reliable and affordable.

And repairable. I dropped it when I hit an oil slick on a curve at 50 MPH about two months after I bought it. It cost almost exactly as much to repair it as it had cost to buy it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mike

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2008, 01:14:18 AM »
Wuss! laugh

You don't need no helmet!

Die like a man!!! grin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2008, 07:46:27 PM »