Author Topic: I just left the Republican party  (Read 9156 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
I just left the Republican party
« on: September 15, 2005, 07:29:07 AM »
I just switched my affiliation to the Libertarian Party.  
I don't agree with the entire platform, but that's ok.  
This statement by Tom DeLay pushed me over the edge.
House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said yesterday that Republicans have done so well in cutting spending that he declared an "ongoing victory," and said there is simply no fat left to cut in the federal budget.
From http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20050914-120153-3878r.htm

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 07:30:24 AM »
So you effectively let Tom DeLay take away your vote?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 07:31:46 AM »
No.  Tom DeLay's comment was just the last straw.  The Republicans have betrayed me.  I will now have a clear conscience when I come out of the ballot box.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 07:50:50 AM »
3 words...No Party Affiliation.  That's me.  I turned in my Republican card a while back.

Greg

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 08:16:23 AM »
3 words...No Party Affiliation.
Bingo.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 08:27:51 AM »
So many people I know have libertarian views and values, yet they refuse to switch from either of the primary parties.  Read THR for awhile, and you see hundreds of posters in the same boat.  IMHO, there are far more libertarians on both sides of the fence than we realize.  
This is why I got real honest with myself and registered Libertarian.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 08:40:39 AM »
Also from the article:

Asked if that meant the government was running at peak efficiency, Mr. DeLay said, "Yes, after 11 years of Republican majority we've pared it down pretty good."
One wonders if he is losing his grasp of reality in other areas as well. Might as well claim that we have cured cancer.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:48:41 AM »
"I will now have a clear conscience when I come out of the ballot box."

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Stop, you're killing me...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 08:49:41 AM »
"Might as well claim that we have cured cancer."

No, Al Gore claimed that in 2000. Don't you remember?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 09:34:26 AM »
Delay had his tongue planted so firmly in his cheek that it is a wonder that the skin did not split.

His comments were a trap for Democrats because when they howl about his comments, he will slowly smile and say:  So, my industrious members of Congress, where are the cuts and fat and pork that needs to further come out of the budget?  Please have your suggestions on my desk on the 'morrow.

He just stuck them boys in the jackpot.  It's the funniest thing yet that I've seen come out of Warshington in years.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 09:39:19 AM »
Grampster, I'd love to believe that, but I don't.  The Republicans have been borrowing and spending for the past eight years.  I don't see any effort to cut spending, or even control spending.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 09:49:03 AM »
Dasmi,

Hopefully Newt will run.  I think he'd straighten the party out poste haste, or invite them to switch parties.  As far as Newt goes, any peccadillos he'd be accused of (divorcing his ill wife and his book deal) could be brushed of by declaring "That depends on what your definition of is, is."

Newt is a great historian and in a debate, he'd destroy his opponent.  I think he would invigorate the conservative spirit of our country.

Jury is still out on Delay's comment.  Let's wait and see.  I hope I'm right.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 09:51:13 AM »
Quote from: grampster
Delay had his tongue planted so firmly in his cheek that it is a wonder that the skin did not split.
His comments were a trap for Democrats because when they howl about his comments, he will slowly smile and say:  So, my industrious members of Congress, where are the cuts and fat and pork that needs to further come out of the budget?  Please have your suggestions on my desk on the 'morrow.
He just stuck them boys in the jackpot.  It's the funniest thing yet that I've seen come out of Warshington in years.
More of the "wily Republicans" argument...

He stuck his foot in his mouth because it was an elaborate trap to force Democrats to reduce spending.

Right.

Chris

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 01:17:34 PM »
So, I drank a little wine this afternoon and was feeling ebulent, upbeat, positive.  So, I fantasized for a few moments.  So, morphine does stay in the system for 7 weeks, doesn't it?
Leave it to an East Coast Effete Brahmin to rain on our hillbilly parade here in Meechigan. Tongue
(thumbs nose smiley)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 01:34:40 PM »
I will now have a clear conscience when I come out of the ballot box.
My Dad says that kind of thing about his involvement with the Constitution Party.  I think that makes a lot of sense if one is voting for the third party candidate in a smaller race where he can win.  I hope someday a third party gets big enough to take on governors, senators and the president, too.  Until we reach that point, however, I hope you will not vote for hopeless tickets.

I will now have a clear conscience when I come out of the ballot box.
My response, take 2:  You will have a clear conscience in a party who's platform is to ignore the murder of infants?

grampster,

Did you hear that interpretation from Limbaugh, or is Mr. Delay saying that, too?  I think Limbaugh may have overstated it a bit, but I guess it could have been meant with sarcasm.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 01:36:48 PM »
Quote from: fistful
My response, take 2:  You will have a clear conscience in a party who's platform is to ignore the murder of infants?
I didn't say I agreed with their entire platform.  Republicans are in power, abortion is still legal.  And it really doesn't matter if it's legal or not.  Abortions will happen.  The only way to change that is to change hearts and minds, not laws.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 01:46:55 PM »
Fistful,

You mean Rush agrees with me?  (looking quickly to see if half my brain is tied behind my back)

Actually, when I heard what DeLay said I thought it must be monumental sarcasm (which the left always believes is reality, because that is the world in which they live) because is was so outrageous.  If DeLay is serious, then it really is time to buy a houseboat and live in the Keys and fish for (plastic) grouper.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 02:03:33 PM »
Quote from: dasmi
And it really doesn't matter if it's legal or not.  Abortions will happen.  The only way to change that is to change hearts and minds, not laws.
It doesn't really matter if it's legal or not.  Murders will happen.  The only way to change that is to change hearts and minds, not laws.

I think you're looking for the Anarchist Party, if there is one.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 02:09:31 PM »
It doesn't really matter if it's legal or not.  Murders will happen.  The only way to change that is to change hearts and minds, not laws.
You make my point.  Laws only impact those inclined to follow them.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 02:45:55 PM »
Quote from: dasmi
You make my point.  Laws only impact those inclined to follow them.
So by that logic no law is effective in curbing illegal behavior.  This is counter-intuitive as well as absurd.

Obviously people are free to cast votes for Humpty Dumpty if they want.  But if every conservative left the Republican Party the party would still be in power to some degree and it would be less responsive to conservative ideals.  What if Reagan had decided to run 3rd party?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 02:49:13 PM »
Show me a Republican like Reagan who is running for President, and he'll have my vote.

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 02:54:57 PM »
If you don't stop voting for Republicans after the last seven years, I guess you never will.  The Republicans control both houses of Congress, and the White House. The can do whatever they like; balance the budget, repeal gun all gun laws, stop pork spending, etc. etc. etc.

Instead, we got the most spending in history, a war started under false pretenses, free speech limits, etc., etc. etc.

When, for the love of all that is good and true, is enough enough?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 04:52:17 PM »
SkunkApe,

And the Dems have a better track record??  Please don't hold the Clinton admin up for any kudo's.  Clinton's economy was put in place and was a gift of 8 years of Reagan tax cuts.   Clinton reversed it with his tax policy aided and abetted by the criminal behavior of the captains of industry who saw there was no government oversight of their malfeasance by the Clinton Admin.  Too busy not inhaling, I suspect.  What we got out of that was increased taxes, more waste, bankrupty, and major loss of faith in our institutions; governmental and industry.  Nero may have fiddled while Rome burned.  Bill was getting a BJ while America collapsed.
In economics,  governmental tinkering, good or bad,  takes about 7 years for the effects to show up.

The Clinton admin. obvious lack of geo political accumen (treating terrorism as a law enforcement problem rather than a national security problem) is now painfully obvious iregardless of the false pretenses war myth.  It's odd that keeps being brought up when the entire world's intelligence community had reason to believe the notions that were put forth.  As far as the UN is concerned in the matter, that's not even worthy of discussion given their track record and obesiance to drivel, gluttony, drink and robbery; not to mention rape and murder.  Bad intelligence is not false pretenses.  By the way, it was the Clinton administration who virtually dismantled our intelligence community.  The order of the day:  No spy can be an unsavory person.   That equals no spies, which equals no intelligence.

I am not defending the Repubs.  Bush's admin has caused me much concern regarding freedom of speech, illegal immigration, sticking it's nose into education (which should be a local issue) among other things.  I am certainly distressed that mainly conservative Americans put the control of the White House and the Legislature in the hands of the Republicans and they immedietely start walking around like a busload of blind people in a corn maze.  How they continually apologize and bow and scrape to the Left is disgusting.

I think that's why I'd like to see Newt make a run for it.  He's an historian.  He understands cause and effect.  He is a communicator and he does not suffer fools.
If you're wondering who the fools are, you should have watched Judge Roberts dissemble them the last couple days.  That was rich.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 07:07:07 PM »
war started under false pretenses
Please.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 11:24:33 PM »
I consider myself a libertarian, but I just can't register Libertarian.  I've met a lot of members of the LP, and do you know what?  Most of them are ***holes!  For so many running for office, it's a total ego trip, the opportunity to say absolutely everything that comes to mind, to shock as many people as possible.  And not one of them really wants to hold an office; if they did, they'd run for lower positions that they would have a reasonable chance at, like City Council or even sheriff.  Oh no, they all run for Governor, or Senate, or for President, even if they haven't been elected to anything since grade school.  Who was that nutjob who ran in 2004-Badnerik or something?  He was so over the top, even other Libertarians hated him.

The fact that they seem to hold some of the same values as I do doesn't make them any less delusional than the American Communist Party.  Sometimes they even make the Constitution Party look reasonable (and the thought of those guys running things makes my skin crawl).
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.