Author Topic: Let's talk about hot sauce.  (Read 10754 times)

Lbys

• This cone is the ultimate power in the universe.
Let's talk about hot sauce.
« on: December 12, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen of APS, I come before you to discuss a topic that is slightly more polarizing than politics, and slightly less polarizing than real, slow-cooked barbecue.  Hot sauce.

I've been lurking here a while, with an occasional post here and there, and have come to appreciate the intelligence and opinionation (yes, an invented word) of this forum.  I haven't had a lot of luck starting conversations which maintain themselves in the past on this board and others, so I'm giving it another shot.  I figure the folks here have a wide variety of interests and opinions, and I'm hoping that this topic proves the rule, and not the exception, of freely exchanged discussion. 

Where I'm originally from, we use hot sauce, but not as frequently as those in Louisiana, Texas, or the desert southwest.  Where I live now, a lot of people consider ketchup to be spicy (I'm kidding, but only a little).  What I'd like to know is this:  what is the sauce, or are the sauces, that you use?  Why?  How do you use them?  I'll offer my own opinions up to scrutiny and ridicule, just to (hopefully) get the convo started:

Tabasco--the venerable classic, this is the pepper sauce on which I cut my teeth.  However, I've weened of late because I think its heat/flavor ratio is a bit high.  Also, the boys at Avery Island have gone a bit crazy with the flanker flavors, IMO.

Frank's--the Buffalo Wings staple, I think this is a decent everyday hot sauce.  I put it on lots of things, most frequently vegetables and bland starches (potatoes, rice, etc.).  Good, but a bit too much vinegar for a truly exceptional experience.

Louisiana Brand--I've just recently been introduced to this--it's not in many stores up here--and think it's goodness in a bottle.  Nice balance of heat and flavor, with more depth than Tabasco.  I think it out-Tabascos Tabasco.

Chohula--this Mexican salsa picante is good, but a bit of a niche player in my rotation.  I like it on eggs, eggs & chorhizo, Mexican food, and on the rim of the occasional Tecate can.  Past that, I don't get into it much.

Sriacha--this is the hottest in my cupboard (probably mild to a lot of folks here, but to each his own).  I like it on sandwiches, in soups, and in my Bloody Marys.  Sometimes, I'll squeeze a bit into a omlet, and of course, put it on most Asian cuisines, especially Chinese takout in Minnesota that isn't nearly hot enough.

So what are your favorites?  Why?  Do you buy in the grocery store, shop in the specialty markets, maybe make your own?  What say you, APS?

Correlation does not indicate causation.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Let's talk about hot sauce.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »
What no Crystal?
Look, tiny text!

Lbys

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »
Never heard of Crystal.  That's exactly why I started this thread.  Why is it good?  Why do you like it?

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 01:14:35 AM »

I like Tabasco in general because it served me well in many a C-ration. Loyal, I am. Also like Texas Pete for its flavor, and it's not too too hot. Last resupply my wife bought something called Kahlner's Louisiana Hot Sauce that's good enough but nothing to write home about.

For a wing sauce I recommend Sweet Baby Ray's. We tried their barbecue sauce a couple of years ago when it first showed up on local shelves and use it exclusively now, and when the wing sauce appeared down here we gave it a try. Nice flavor without scorching the palate.

Many moons ago when I worked for Domino's Pizza a driving buddy went home to Mexico for a visit and came back with some down-home Mexican hot sauce. We were forever trying things to jazz up the pizza we ate - you can get tired of anything after a while - so were game to try Armando's sauce. It was so hot I couldn't even taste the burnt flesh of my lips. The only one who liked it was Armando himself, who laughed at us as he scarfed down a pie drowned in the stuff. *shudder*

I don't remember what caused me to look into it but a while back I was surfing around the Web checking on different hot sauces and found one called Brand New ahole. I dunno if I'd ever taste it but I've thought about buying a bottle to keep around and offer to anyone who claims to like their food "aitch-oh-double-tee HOT!".

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 01:18:36 AM »
Ah, a topic dear to my heart!

I've got several bottles of different brands, and they all get used based on what I feel like...

Red Tabasco - My old reliable. Bacon & eggs sunny side up just aren't the same without a couple drops of red on the eggs.

Green Tabasco - A milder version of above, very nice on raw oysters and omelettes. Very flavorful, but less heat.

Dave's Insanity - A little dab will do ya'.  This is a good one for recipes that need a little kick, but be damned careful with it. Not quite Blair's Death, but closer than anything else in my inventory.

Iguana - This is a Costa Rican import, sold by the ABC Liquor Store chain and online, in a variety of flavors and heats. I discovered the brand at an outdoor burrito stand in Satellite Beach, FL named Da Kine Diegos Insane Burrito, and have been a fan ever since.  I've got 5 of their varieties on store right now, from mild to wild. They've all got a unique blend, some with carrots, and of course garlic, etc.  http://www.hotsauce.com/Iguana-Hot-Sauces-s/107.htm

I've also got plans in the works next summer to do my own hot sauces, thanks to a friend who "borrowed" a big batch of Habaneros from south of the border last year and found they grow just fine in Wisconsin soil.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:54:46 AM »
Crystal, Louisiana, Tapatio, Chipotle tabasco, green tabasco.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 03:41:18 AM »
Lee Kum Kee makes a "Fine Chili Sauce" that I've used to make killer Asian chili flavored hot wings.  It is getting hard to find, though.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 04:51:53 AM »
Only "Hot Sauce" I've ever really liked is Green Tabasco.  Red tastes like a battery to me.

To be honest, WAY too many seem to be focused on heat rather than flavor.  And vinegar is not a flavor, unless it's malt vinegar, and that's another discussion entirely.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:56:45 AM »
For almost a decade now my favorite has been Religious Experience salsa, mostly The Wrath variety.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 09:24:19 AM »
I like flavor enhancement, not insane amounts of heat.

By far the best I have ever found for that, and one of the cheapest, oddly enough, is Louisiana Hot Sauce, a product of Bruce Foods.

The stuff is wonderful.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »
I like all flavors of Tabasco.
Chohula is my staple.
The Louisiana Hot Sauce Mike mentions is pretty good.

I also have a chili-lime hot sauce I picked up at the local hispanic market.  It comes in a tall bottle like a 1L water bottle.  It adds heat, but also a lot of flavor.

My brother turned me onto "Cackalacky", which is pretty good, but almost impossible to find outside of NC.

Chris

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »
Dear to me ole heart as well...

I don't like the salty hot sauces (Cholula, Tapatio, et. al.), vinegar base much preferred, and anything less than tabasco pepper heat levels just doesn't cut it. Cayenne and lower heat levels need not apply.

Tabasco - Perfection in a bottle. I find the bottom of a 5 ounce bottle once a week, as it goes in/on most everything. Shame that it's usually double-triple in cost what other hot sauce runs.

Sriracha - my number 2. GOOD heat level for such a cheap sauce, excellent sweet garlic flavor. No vinegar flavor, but I still like it.

Dave's Insanity - I keep this around for when I run out of the above sauces.

My pico de gallo is pretty good also, but I wouldn't classify that as a hot sauce.

I have tried a gazillion different sauces, those are the ones I stick with.

Anyone else like the little tabasco peppers in vinegar?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:19:25 AM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 11:26:51 AM »
Tabasco is my main sauce as a condiment.  For cooking I have a bottle of Dave's Insanity.

I've made about $50 off that bottle of Dave's Insanity sauce.  I bet $10 or $20 that the person can't lick a toothpick dipped in the sauce and not react.  I've yet to loose that bet.

However, as I work my way through my 30's I find I still like to eat hot stuff, but the bill later on gets a lot worse.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 12:22:18 PM by 41magsnub »

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »
You all just reminded me that I'm out of hot sauce!  :O
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »
Another vote for both Tapatio and Sriracha. They're my standby sauces for most quick meals. When I'm cooking something fancier I might use something different, but for 90% of what I make that needs heat, one of those two fills the bill, and they're dirt cheap.

ejort

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »
Warning regarding use of Dave's Insanity- Wash your hands before using the restroom

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »
Warning regarding use of Dave's Insanity- Wash your hands before using the restroom

You only ever do that once.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Lbys

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 02:26:10 PM »
Great suggestions.  Sounds like Dave's Insanity might be another staple to try.  Glad to hear that a lot of folks care for Louisiana--sounds like my taster is pretty well calibrated.  Gewehr, or anybody else in the Great White North--where do you find it?  I haven't found it at Target/Cub yet.

w turner

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 08:22:39 PM »
Main staples are:

Cholula-good heat to flavor ratio and perfect for putting on tortilla chips to be washed down with beer

Tiger Sauce- sweet and not very hot, but the flavor goes well with everything....I drown burgers in this stuff

Chipotle Tabasco-only Tabasco milder than this is the Jalapeno ( which i like too), but I like the smoky flavor

I also keep some Frank's around for wings and some Crystal for when I get a wild hair. 

W

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 08:46:43 PM »
Cholula and cock sauce are both great and tasty... Dave's will make grown men cry like babies... And I've got a friend who I watched take about 2-3 tablespoons of the stuff and put it over a plate of scrambled eggs, and eat with much gusto.

Blog under construction

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 09:05:55 PM »
Louisiana is a great staple.  The bottle says a drop, but I like to drench scrambled eggs in it.  It's not much for heat, but the flavor is great.

I'm not a fan of classic Tobasco.  It tastes like vinegar and OC spray.  Dionysusigma hit it with the battery acid comment.  I used to like it a lot, but then I found more flavorful stuff.

Tabasco Jalapeno is good.  Almost no heat, but flavor rich.

Blair's stuff is surprisingly good.  It gets insanely hot by the second bite, but it has flavor to match.  I LOVE their potato chips.

I also love the real Tabasco pepper stuff.  I like it over cooked greens, like stewed spinach.  When the bottle is empty, you either refill it with vinegar and let it stew for a couple of weeks, or crack the lid off and cook with the peppers.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 09:06:10 PM »
Cholula and cock sauce are both great and tasty... Dave's will make grown men cry like babies... And I've got a friend who I watched take about 2-3 tablespoons of the stuff and put it over a plate of scrambled eggs, and eat with much gusto.

What is cock sauce?  I'm afraid to google it...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:19:08 PM by 41magsnub »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 10:45:11 PM »
Sriracha = "Cock Sauce".  Named for the rooster depicted on the bottle.

Fairly common in Asian restaurants, and I usually eat it on Pad Thai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

You can get Dave's Insanity online at a variety of place.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 10:52:21 PM »
Who currently has title on the evilest, meanest, nastiest stuff? I wanna get my bud a bottle for xmas... and see if he tries to eat it like he did the Dave's Insanity stuff...
Blog under construction

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 11:22:02 PM »
Sriracha = "Cock Sauce".  Named for the rooster depicted on the bottle.

I've never heard it called that, thanks.  Its not my favorite but I'll use it if it is there and the restaurant food needs the help.