Author Topic: Let's talk about hot sauce.  (Read 10753 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Let's talk about hot sauce.
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2008, 12:27:15 AM »
Who currently has title on the evilest, meanest, nastiest stuff? I wanna get my bud a bottle for xmas... and see if he tries to eat it like he did the Dave's Insanity stuff...

Considering that you can get pure Capsaicin in crystal form. . . as hot as you want to go.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MikePGS

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
Who currently has title on the evilest, meanest, nastiest stuff? I wanna get my bud a bottle for xmas... and see if he tries to eat it like he did the Dave's Insanity stuff...
Definitely Blair's. I bought a bottle of Blair's Jersey Death sauce (15 bucks for a little bottle, but I bet a bottle would last a long long time) because I read that it's pretty hot (360k scoville units). I took a sample drop of it and it was like lighting my entire face on fire. Tears were gushing out of my eyes and my face was instantly beet red. The thing is though, it has a nice taste to it (if you can actually consume any of it). I took it to work for one of my supervisors to try since he was always raving about hot sauces at Buffalo Wild Wings and he had the same reaction. Being a practical joker, he thought it would be "fun" to have various people try it, and reportedly (i wasn't there at the time) one or two even threw up (i can only imagine how awful that stuff is coming up). For the record Jersey Death isn't even the hottest one they make by far. I recently took a bite out of a habenero pepper (i didn't realize that would be hot) and it wasn't even close to the drop or two of Jersey Death.

For every day use, I like Frank's myself. Tobassco doesn't have that much flavor to it, but it does taste good on scrambled eggs. For a real treat splash some Frank's on your pizza.
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
I've got several different Tobasco sauces in the larder, one of which has a 'fiery' red and orange label. I agree that it doesn't have the best flavour to taste ratio, so I often combine it with other random Tesco bought stuff (Jaimaican sauces and the like).
The hottest I have ever had is Blair's Mega Death Sauce, and only because a co-worker dared me to. He practically drinks the stuff, but then I have my suspcicions that he is in fact clinically insane. I would perhaps use maybe a few drops for a whole saucepan of regular sauce.

I do enjoy a nice curry though, which is what I had last night. I only had a mild Tikka Masala this time, which was lovely.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2008, 08:15:24 AM »
Just tried Sriracha for the first time last night at a Chinese buffet in College Station....great-tasting stuff with egg rolls and grilled chicken...do they make a hot version?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2008, 12:36:55 PM »
Picked up some Frank's yesterday.  Like the taste, just wish it were a bit hotter.  Still, I imagine it'll be gone inside of two weeks.   =D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

bmitchell

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 02:04:46 PM »
Sriracha is becoming a new favorite of mine.
Apparently one of my former roommates left a bottle of it in the fridge at a former house and it got transferred to my fridge in the move.
Very flavorful, and it is more than enough hot for me if I get enough at one go (e.g. about a tablespoon or two per bowl of rice).

Ben

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 02:15:48 PM »
Just tried Sriracha for the first time last night at a Chinese buffet in College Station....great-tasting stuff with egg rolls and grilled chicken...do they make a hot version?.....

They do make a hotter version that I saw in California, most easily differentiated by the color of the lid. Haven't seen the hotter stuff at any of my local grocery stores, but then I haven't looked too hard because the regular Srirachi is plenty hot for me.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
What color is the lid of the hot variety?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
Red, if I remember correctly. Green is the standard hot sauce.

ETA: Although doing some googling, it looks like they may not make that one anymore. This was back in 1999-2001 time period that I saw that variety. I tried it once; a little much temperature for my taste.

Edited again to add: The hotter red-lid variety I tried may have been an "imitator," rather than an official Huy Fong product:

Quote from: From Huy Fong FAQ
Q3: I've seen the sauces with different color caps and slightly different graphics. Are they the same?

A: No, there have been many attempts to imitate our product, both in taste and looks, but all fall short of delivering quality products and a tasty sauce. Our sauces are trademarked by our green caps and rooster logo. Beware of imitations, make sure you are buying the original.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:02:41 PM by Marnoot »

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2009, 02:57:45 PM »
Found this recipe for homemade Sriracha here: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/srirachachilisauce.htm

I would guess adding more of the peppers would increase the temperature just fine:

Fill a container half full with peeled garlic cloves. Fill the rest of the way with 2 (at least) habaneros and a mix of dried serrano and cayenne pods that have been stemmed but not seeded. Add 1 tablespoon of non-iodized salt and fill the container (to cover chile pods and garlic) with 5% strength white vinegar. Cider vinegar or wine vinegar will work but will give you a different flavour.

As the chile pods re-hydrate top up the liquid with water or vinegar. After a few days to a week of steeping in the vinegar dump the whole mess into the food processor or blender and puree until a smooth, thick consistency is reached. If the mixture is too thick it may be thinned with vinegar or water.