Author Topic: Ubuntu - I haz it  (Read 10244 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Ubuntu - I haz it
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20:16 PM »

I've been looking around, trying to figure out how to use the supplied text editor (gedit), but I don't see any "Text Editing for Dummies Who've Never Heard of Text Editing Before" web site. 

Different texteditors work differently.  gedit is very much a MS Notebook-like editor.  Meaning, gedit & Notepad share many of the same commands and require similar brain power to master.

Of course, real men use emacs as their text editor of choice.

Code: [Select]
$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
gedit how-tos:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/gedit
http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/
http://projects.gnome.org/gedit/
http://www.digipedia.pl/man/gedit.1.html
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/03/07/how-to-make-the-best-of-ubuntu-text-editor-gedit/
http://www.linfo.org/gedit.html
http://showmedovideos4.com/ShowMeDos/3130000.flv

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »

Pfft.  Real men use vi. :P
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 10:23:21 PM »
Hmpff...

I own a Roomba.

I like it.

Remember to charge it once every week or two.

Remember to take it off the charger, and hit the switch.

Dig it out from under whatever piece of furniture it dies under.

It's in the Garage Full of Stuff.

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »
OK.  Thanks all.  I think I've got a fuzzy ball-park idea of what's going on.  Managed to edit the number of seconds it waits before booting. 

The blacklist pcspkr didn't seem to work, though.  I wish it would.  When I turn off my speakers, the built-in speaker comes on. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:31:00 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 10:30:30 PM »
odd. My Ubuntu Netbook remix is doing it too, but I haven't fixed it since I never shut it off anymore. On my eeePC I also had to blacklist "snd_pcsp"

This thread FWIW

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=947502
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:34:38 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 11:52:30 PM »
Pfft.  Real men use vi. :P

Oh, Shiiiiiii. . ... .

*runs for cover*
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »
Gotta put my vote in for VI.  Emacs is awfully bloated for simple text editing. 

Chris

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »
I like ee or pico for terminal-based editing.
kate for programming or quanta if I am doing web stuff
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zahc

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »
Kate is a really splendid "modern" text editor for programming. I only wish it had Arduino highlighting.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »
Kate is a really splendid "modern" text editor for programming. I only wish it had Arduino highlighting.

You can extend kate's highlighting, you make a special xml file that describes how things should be highlighted, and place it into the right folder for kate to  find it, then that format becomes an option on the highlighting menu.

Someone might have written one for arduino already.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »
Ubuntu makes the smilies look all garbledy.   =(  Makes 'em kinda fuzzy. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 08:07:05 PM »
Ubuntu makes the smilies look all garbledy.   =(  Makes 'em kinda fuzzy. 

Did you download & install the proprietary driver for your video card?

Also, check your video card settings.  Too high a resolution with too low a refresh rate can cause problems, no matter the OS.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2009, 10:46:25 PM »

Real men use emacs.   Tormented orcs use vi.  Notepad is a text editor with training wheels.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2009, 10:49:16 PM »
OK, I give up.  I know I could find info on my video card, if I restarted and booted Windows, but where does one find such information with Ubuntu?  System/Admin/Hardware Drivers only tells me that I have no proprietary drivers. 

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »
but where does one find such information with Ubuntu?

"lspci"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2009, 05:43:16 PM »
vi is the only way to roll for non-GUI text editing.

Notepad++ works rather well for GUI text editing.  I LOVE search/replace with regex capabilities.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
Yeah, OK.  I looked up lspci on the Ubuntu help page.  It gave me a list of commands, which was useless without knowing how to use them.  I tried typing lspci-v in a terminal window.  No luck.  I tried to look it up in the text editor.  No luck.

So much for the idea that Ubuntu is so much easier to use than Windows.  I'm trying to figure out how any move away from GUI back to command prompts is a win for user-friendliness.  Or why my computer having the cheek to tell me I don't have permission to access certain files is somehow a good thing. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 08:08:39 PM »
Wait, what were you doing again?

oh, and it's "lspci" or "lspci -v" NOT "lspci-v"
Charles Babbage

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 08:22:47 PM »
lspci should give you output that looks something like this:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller Hub (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL PCI Express Root Port (rev 04)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82915G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d3)
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)

Which should give you plenty of clues as to what your hardware is.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2009, 10:17:45 AM »
it's "lspci" or "lspci -v" NOT "lspci-v"

Yes, you're right.  It was simply a matter of "lspci-v" vs. "lspci -v".  Thanks. 

That sort of command line finicky-ness is not terribly user-friendly. 

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2009, 01:03:15 PM »
That sort of command line finicky-ness is not terribly user-friendly. 

No, it's not. The average user shouldn't have to mess around in the command prompt, regardless of the OS. Despite the constant call of Linux evangelists, Linux is far from the end-all, be-all Windows replacement. In many, many, many cases, Linux does not "just work."

Ubuntu, for instance, absolutely does not like my SATA controller/drives. Could I make it work? Sure, after hours of forum searching, googling, and playing with settings and drivers. Or I could try another flavor, but it might not like my sound card, another one might not like my embedded network interface, another might not like my scanner.

The absolute flood of "flavors" and kernel versions often requires that a user compile a program they want to use themselves. The average user, even many advanced users, coming from Mac or PC is not going to be able to do that. In my case, I could, but it's a pain and I really don't want to.

Linux will likely never beat windows or mac for # of installations, unless some unitization occurs. The Linux world is simply too broad right now, and too confusing for the average computer user. Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, SuSE, Mandriva, Knoppix, Slackware, Gentoo.

Linux certainly has its place and it certainly does some things better than MacOS or Windows. Security is superior in Linux, due to its development model, holes in security get patched up pretty quickly.

I enjoy playing around with it occasionally. But it is not PanaceaOS, MessiahOS, or The One OS To Rule Them All. I'm far from a Linux hater, I just get annoyed at the parroted "Use Linux, instead!" every single time someone has a Windows problem. Linux is not one-size-fits-all, it's just another tool in the toolbox.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:42:13 PM by Marnoot »

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2009, 06:00:50 PM »
No, it's not. The average user shouldn't have to mess around in the command prompt, regardless of the OS. Despite the constant call of Linux evangelists, Linux is far from the end-all, be-all Windows replacement. In many, many, many cases, Linux does not "just work."

I doubt fistful "has to" use the command prompt, he is after all, merely trying to figure out which hardware he has installed.
He probably got the advise from someone over the internet where it is much easier to give a one-line answer than to say something like "Click here, then click on system settings, then click on video hardware, then . . .. "

Oh, and if I had a nickel for every time I read the words "Click start, then run, and type 'cmd' and press enter." on a windows support forum, I could buy you a clue.
Charles Babbage

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »
The command prompt issue aside, I stand by my main point: Linux is not the always-better-than-windows solution you evangelize it to be. Windows has its problems, trust me, I know; I fight with Windows Server on a daily basis. But Linux has problems too. Linux is better for you; great, use Linux. Windows is usually better for me; great, I use Windows usually. But I'm not going to say Windows is better for everyone; and in the same vein, Linux is not better for everyone.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:22:03 PM by Marnoot »

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2009, 07:16:14 PM »
And Macs just suck.  :laugh:

I use my computer (and XP) for the following:

1) Internet
2) Games
3) 3D design
4) Word processing
5) 2D design

Linux fails at nearly half of that.  I have used Ubuntu before and liked it, but it's not the one for me.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:20:37 PM by Dionysusigma »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2009, 07:21:40 PM »
Apart from Games, what does Linux fail at?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner