Author Topic: Back Into Motorcycles  (Read 9424 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Back Into Motorcycles
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Let's say your looking to get back into motorcycles after last having one nearly twenty (20) years ago in undergrad (Kawasaki Vulcan 400) because . . . well . . . because you want one, let's say. =D  You really don't have a specific purpose, just ride around, including the highway, not just your city.

Honda Rebel?

Suzuki Savage?

Kawasaki Vulcan 500?

*edited because I am a moron and did not spell Suzuki correctly for some reason*
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:45:01 PM by El Tejon »
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Back Into Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:55:01 PM »
Don't listen to anyone that says "You have to get a ______". Go sit on a few, take the MSF course (even if you still remember how to ride, you'll definitely be rusty) then get one that speaks to you.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
Go to a rental range, handle a bunch of guns, shoot them, and buy one that you like best? =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:01:48 PM »
That formula works well for about everything but women IMO
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 04:17:05 PM »
Don't listen to anyone that says "You have to get a ______". Go sit on a few, take the MSF course (even if you still remember how to ride, you'll definitely be rusty) then get one that speaks to you.

I'm sure that's great advice, but still I walked past a parked Triumph Speed Triple today. Wow.

I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 06:17:27 PM »
What do you want to use the bike for? Taking sharp turns quickly, cruising down streets and highways, taking trips, going off-road, or something else?

I agree with the notion of trying the bike first. Too many I know bought too small a bike, too many too large a bike, and too many bought a bike that didn't suit their purposes.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 09:58:03 PM »
I walked past a parked Triumph Speed Triple today

Buddy of mine has a Speed Triple.

It's parked - a lot.

Especially at the Triumph dealership, getting worked on.  :|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:19:44 PM »
DRZ 400!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 01:56:58 AM »
Whatever you do, there's a balance you want: enough power to get you out of dodge, but not more power than you can handle...

And really, there IS no "right bike for everyone". Bedlamite swears by his sport bike, but I can't ride one more than a couple miles before I'm sore. Find the one that's right for you...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 02:03:20 AM »
Not going to tell you what to get, but I will give a positive review to the Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It's a good little beast. Accelerates more than fast enough with my 165 lbs on it and doesn't have any trouble getting up to freeway speeds. It's certainly no touring bike, no hog, and no sports bike, but for getting around town and between towns, it's a good, comfortable ride.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 02:08:12 AM »
Yamaha R1?  =D

Seriously though, the MSF course. Best advice you'll probably get on this thread. Also, what's a Sizuki?  =D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 02:11:48 AM by Nightfall »
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
First, before you do anything else go and take the MSF Basic Rider Course.

Then decide on what kind of riding you intend to do.

Then hit the internet forums and ask lots of questions. With the understanding that you will get as much or more BS about motorcycle brands as you do about firearms on a gun board.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »
Look at the beemers too. last time I saw them at a show they impressed me the most qualtiy vs price. Less than 1/2 the cost of a HD for instance. This area is just too congested with 99 44/100% idiots driving around. I haven't ridden in at least that long myself. Too easy to get squished by a whitehead in a caddy 'round here.  :laugh:

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »
First, before you do anything else go and take the MSF Basic Rider Course.

Yes, there is an excellent course held in your area, which I have personally been to.  They fill up fast, so get checking into that.  Last I checked, it was $75, and oh so worth it.

When I took it, the course was held at the INOK warehouses up on 52.  (AKA, Purdue Salvage)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »
That's why I haven't ridden my bikes in almost 10 years. 

In Florida, we called Cadillacs w/blue-haired drivers "Cataracts".   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
I was out riding yesterday on a rural two lane road.  I was driving the speed limit of 30 miles per hour.  About fifty feet ahead, I noticed an elderly couple driving a mid-size sedan approaching me in the oncoming lane.  I could see the driver looking at me.  Without any signal, the car turned across right into my lane when it was about 35 feet in front of me.  I vigorously applied the brakes, the driver of the car froze and came to a dead stop, blocking my lane, and I was able to swerve around her unscathed.  As I rolled past the car, the driver and elderly male passenger were staring at me open-mouthed.  I should point out that I was wearing my fluorescent neon-green Olympia AST jacket, and both my helmet and DR650 are liberally festooned with reflective fluorescent neon-green tape. 

Just like when I am riding one of my bicycles, I assume they are trying to kill me on the motorcycles, too.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »
For years I managed to be in southern Montana when the Beemer riders had their annual meet and, from talking to many of them, Beemers have just as many problems as Harley's.

That said, BMW's don't hold their value as much as Harley's, so you can get a newer used one in great shape for a lot less than an HD.

A neighbor bought the 1100 LT (I think that was the model) when it came out. He had to take it back to the dealership because the ABS system on the brakes wasn't working. The dealer "fixed" the problem, but the system caught fire and did a lot of damage to the bike. When he took it back to the dealership, the hydraulic side stand collapsed while they were looking at the bike, causing much more damage.

I heard many horror stories like this from people at the meet, just like HD riders (the ones who tell the truth, anyway).

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 06:24:45 PM »
Just my $.02, don't get a Rebel.  They're great starter bikes, but you'll outgrow it way fast.  The Savage is a great first bike, so is a Bandit.  Just be careful, the re-entry riders are the highest accident demographic out there...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »
Thanks ML, I was hoping someone would pop in and give the lowdown on them. Looking at them at a show and owning one are two entirely different things I'm sure. I hear the cars are not much better so I was kind of wonering about the bikes in that aspect. Good to know.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
Tough to go wrong with the Suzuki S40. I hear careful driving will push 80mpg. I'd look for a blue '07.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 10:37:30 PM »
Thanks ML, I was hoping someone would pop in and give the lowdown on them. Looking at them at a show and owning one are two entirely different things I'm sure. I hear the cars are not much better so I was kind of wonering about the bikes in that aspect. Good to know.

I wasn't saying that BMW's aren't good bikes, just that they're not any more reliable than Harley's.

The cars have the same lower resale problem as the bikes. It's the same with Mercedes. Parts are so expensive that people tend to get rid of the machines once they're out of warranty.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 10:51:27 PM »
DRZ 400!

I bought one of those this spring. I like it, but it's tall for me. I'm going to have to modify the seat to make it a comfortable ride. I'm 5'10".
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 12:34:39 AM »
I am the same height.  I tried a DRZ400 for size and also felt it was too tall.  I did not want to end up dropping it at a traffic light.  I went with the DR650 instead with the lowering kit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 02:42:37 AM »
I am the same height.  I tried a DRZ400 for size and also felt it was too tall.  I did not want to end up dropping it at a traffic light.  I went with the DR650 instead with the lowering kit.

Do you like that? I understand I can  lower my 400 1 inch by adjusting the shocks, and another two inches with a custom seat....
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Noxx

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 03:45:54 AM »
When I was a kid, I always wanted a V-max.

Last year, when it was time to buy a bike again after almost five years on four wheels, I said WTH, I'm getting me that damn Vmax. I did, and I love the hell out of it, despite all of its weird requirements.

Guess my advice is, a motorcycle isn't a logical purchase, so logic be damned, buy what moves you