Author Topic: Back Into Motorcycles  (Read 9422 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Back Into Motorcycles
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2009, 07:20:26 PM »
The Ducati Monsters are not race bikes, although some people, do take them to the track.  Mine hasn't gone yet but it will.  The smaller Monsters have wet clutches, unfortunately.  I happen to love the sound of a dry clutch.  The maintenance costs are exaggerated.  Sure, they're higher than what you pay with the Japanese bikes but not prohibitively so.  Hell, you can get a 696 and the costs are less and the time between services is more.  And it still looks and sounds better than anything else in the size/price range.

Subjective statement is subjective.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »
A little more thread drift, this time related to BMW's.

I was down at Deal's Gap ("The Dragon") in NC many years back. There was a guy riding a beautiful new red BMW 1200RT. I learned afterwards that it wasn't his bike. A friend let him take it for a spin.

The guy pulled into the parking lot, accidentally twisted the throttle, and propelled the bike into a cluster of parked bikes. He then fell over, knocking over all the other bikes.

What a way to make an entrance.

Saw a guy do that at a Yamaha dealer in Athens, Texas about a year ago, except it was the Yamaha shop's bike (test drive) and the Yamaha dealers parked 4 wheelers that he hit. I was just talking to the dealer about a test drive, and told him I guessed he want to see a copy of my motorcycle endorsement...*CRASH*.... we both looked up at the wreck, and I said without missing a beat - "and I guess you're going to want to see a copy of my insurance, too"  =D
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 07:47:31 AM »
Subjective statement is subjective.
Nevermind
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:54:21 AM by Dannyboy »
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 09:59:37 AM »
I wondered why the Yamaha dealer in Athens, TX doesn't park bikes in front of his store any longer.....Again I say, go to as many dealers as you can and try on as many bikes you can and buy the one that speaks to you.  Back in 1972 I was going to buy a Harley until I plopped my butt on a Kawasaki Z1.  The rest is history as I have been riding KZ bikes ever since......chris3

Iain

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the modern Moto Guzzi's?

The V7 Classic and V7 Cafe racer look like a good beginners bike - small bike, weighs 400lbs, 50hp. Pretty too, in that classic motorcycle way. It's in the Bonneville, HD Sportster class, but quite a bit lighter than the Harley.

I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the modern Moto Guzzi's?

The V7 Classic and V7 Cafe racer look like a good beginners bike - small bike, weighs 400lbs, 50hp. Pretty too, in that classic motorcycle way. It's in the Bonneville, HD Sportster class, but quite a bit lighter than the Harley.

Guzzi has closed the Mandello plant at least through August, and I've heard rumors that Piaggio Group may either move them to the Aprillia plant or shut them down completely after that. If you REALLY want one, get it now and you may have a collectors item by next year.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »
Things economic are bad generally I suppose, and most of the reviews I've read make a point of mentioning Guzzi's low sales figures (less than 9,000 sales per annum). They also make a point of it being something of a mystery to them as the bikes are supposedly generally pretty good. The Stelvio has good reviews too as an adventure sports/tourer.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2009, 09:18:02 PM »
They are bikes for folks who are..different. . - trust me here, I rode one for 12 years, an old cafe style T3-Lemans rearsets, Bub pipes, etc.  Stable as a freight train. But dated compared to a modern Jap bike. Question is, how many can use all the perfomance of a modern sport bike anyway? I would love to have a new V7 sport or even a California Vintage. Very cool machines. And surprisingly low maintainance cost- you can do the valves in a hour sitting on a milk crate with a beer. Cylinder head right there, screw adjusted tappets, piece of cake. And shaft drive, how I miss it!  And for older ones, parts availability is , in my experience, much better than for old Japanese bikes because they did not change models every year.  If you ride a Guzzi, every other Guzzi rider you run into will want to talk bikes- there are no Guzzi "posers", they are all enthusiasts. Plus, everyone will know you are wierd!  =D

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2009, 09:24:59 PM »
El Tejon, did you get a bike?   

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »
i quit riding in my early 20's  actually the state of va mandated it.  got back into it in my 40's.  one thing i found out. my reflexes etc suffered some over the years.  and it took a while for me to get the testosterone level adjusted appropriately    almost became an organ donor a couple times doing stuff that was easy/routine when i was 20.  wife made me promise to give it up till i raise the critters
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I