Author Topic: Number One with a Bullet: Palin's book  (Read 10275 times)

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Number One with a Bullet: Palin's book
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 12:01:14 PM »
Oh, dear! I'm sure all the fashionable Marxists are having huge tummy hurtums over this.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »
Oh, dear! I'm sure all the fashionable Marxists northeastern/squish conservatives are having huge tummy hurtums over this.

Cue howls by David Frum and David Brooks...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:35:12 PM »
Northeastern conservatives are why we can't have nice things.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:53:57 AM »
Northeastern conservatives... hmmmm.... let me turn that over in my mind a bit...

Nope.  It don't make no sense.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »
Northeastern conservatives Liberal Republicans are why we can't have nice things.

Maybe this will make more sense.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:24:30 PM »
I forgot to put "scare quotes" around "conservatives" in my first post.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 04:37:14 AM »
I pre-ordered mine two weeks ago. I hope she makes a million bucks. Good for her.

TC`
TC
RT Refugee

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 04:39:43 AM »
I pre-ordered mine two weeks ago. I hope she makes a million bucks. Good for her.

TC`

I'd rather she moved on to make $400,000 per year. =D

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:49:32 AM »
I'd rather she moved on to make $400,000 per year.

I'd be interested to see her second time on the campaign trail. My fear is that by 2010 the media will have successfully Qualye-ized her.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 11:50:37 AM »
I'd be interested to see her second time on the campaign trail. My fear is that by 2010 the media will have successfully Qualye-ized her.

They already have marginialzied her. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »

Well, I'm not exactly sure about her qualifications either. And I've still got concerns/questions about her bowing out as the governor of Alaska.

My gut instinct and general assesment of human nature makes me think that she bowed out more to cash in and do the book/punditry/speaking route than to "save Alaska the trouble of all the malicious ethics investigations" etc.

My take on the "Palin Effect" is that it's more of a symptom of how absolutely hungry people are for another "great communicator", Obama himself is another symptom of it. I wish Fred Thompson had gubanatorial/executive branch bonafides.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »
Well, I'm not exactly sure about her qualifications either.
Well, she's no community organizer with a stint as an ACORN attorney, that's for sure.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »
Well, she's no community organizer with a stint as an ACORN attorney, that's for sure.

Did you just do a "but but but obama!" comeback?  Is it not reasonable to think both of them are lightweights?

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
I have my doubts for her being ready for the job of potus myself but she's a much better option than I've seen (with the exception of Duncan Hunter imo) in a while. She's no great communicator either. Maybe the speaking and book tours will help with that.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
I would have thought being Governor of a State was a pretty good qualification for being President.  It is better than being Senator for 2 years or 30.  

What other "qualifications" would you be looking for?  What qualifications did say Ronald Reagan have?  Very few Presidents have had foreign policy experience.  Most Presidents have been former governors.

IMO, I think far too many conservatives got caught up in all the anti-Palin hype drummed up by the media.  IMO, being a governor is a better qualification than anything Hillary or Obama brought to the table.  I wouldn't call myself a Palin fanboy, but some of the misgivings about her IMO are misplaced.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 03:58:45 PM »
I agree that the mainstream media's concern over Palin's "qualifications" are a smokescreen. And she indeed would have been better than Obama, of that I have no doubt.

However, her resignation as governor does give me pause. I think it does call her determination into question. I think that's a huge thing. It's like saying a Naval officer was "qualified" to captain his ship, but he resigned mid tour, so now he's going to ask for an even bigger command?

Someone who's a good policy wonk like a Bobby Jindal, with Palin's folksy charm, and Fred Thompson's delivery and air of gravitas is what the GOP needs. We've got our Carter in office now. We need our Reagan on deck, badly...
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
What policy-wonkism is Jindal particularly known for? Educate me, please.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
I agree that the mainstream media's concern over Palin's "qualifications" are a smokescreen. And she indeed would have been better than Obama, of that I have no doubt.

However, her resignation as governor does give me pause. I think it does call her determination into question. I think that's a huge thing. It's like saying a Naval officer was "qualified" to captain his ship, but he resigned mid tour, so now he's going to ask for an even bigger command?

Someone who's a good policy wonk like a Bobby Jindal, with Palin's folksy charm, and Fred Thompson's delivery and air of gravitas is what the GOP needs. We've got our Carter in office now. We need our Reagan on deck, badly...

For me, the import of her resignation is undetermined- it could signify good or ill.

First of all, I think she was thrust into the national spotlight prematurely. I would much rather she have completed her governorship first.

However, since then, she has been enemy number 1 of the left. She has been under constant attack that has not only cost her state, it has also cost her family and their personal wealth. (The left aren't satisfied with defeating you, they want to DESTROY their political opponents, including personal life and finances.)

As a result, though I would prefer she have finished as governor, she at once prevented the left from filing frivilous claims against her and afforded herself a means to recoup the losses they have imposed (and, hopefully, then some).

It could also have been purely for personal gain. I tend to lean towards the former explanation, though.

Is she the perfect candidate? Not at all.
Would I prefer she have more experience? Most definitely.
Is she one of the better options? Undoubtedly (as you mentioned, Jindal is another good option).
Does she absolutely infuriate and frighten the left? Here's a BIG yes. For that reason, I am of the opinion she is a good choice for president.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »
IIRC, the primary reason she resigned was that the frivolous lawsuits ruined her & her family.

If she would have kept on as Gov, she would have been millions of dollars in legal debt, likely more than $10million.

That might not be a big deal to the Teddy Kennedys of the world, but if you didn't inherit hundreds of millions of dollars, a debt of $10million with nothing good to show of it (business, land, something) is daunting. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »
My gut instinct and general assesment of human nature makes me think that she bowed out more to cash in and do the book/punditry/speaking route than to "save Alaska the trouble of all the malicious ethics investigations" etc.

I hope that's why she resigned.  We need her out rallying the troops around the country, not herding moose in Alaska.  Maybe she's not destined for high national office, but she can do a lot of good for the movement, nationally. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »
If she didn't have a chance of going the distance in 2012, the Democrats, media and certain Republicans wouldn't be working so hard at taking her down. I can't think of another potential candidate, Democrat or Republican, from the last two years who continues to be under attack.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 05:58:40 PM »
If she didn't have a chance of going the distance in 2012, the Democrats, media and certain Republicans wouldn't be working so hard at taking her down. I can't think of another potential candidate, Democrat or Republican, from the last two years who continues to be under attack.

Well, I know an Ohioan who is still grinding an axe against Ron Paul...
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 06:31:09 PM »

True.  But We haven't seen him or her yet, and I don't think we'll see them in 2012 either.  The Republican party needs to decide what who it is and what it wants.  The economic and civil freedoms brought to us by previous Republican administrations are starting to clash with an increasingly theocratic agenda.  I'm almost old enough to remember when "intellectual" wasn't a dirty word.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »
  The economic and civil freedoms brought to us by previous Republican administrations are starting to clash with an increasingly theocratic agenda. 

Thank you for identifying yourself as part of the problem.  Please provide your personal information, so that we scary religious people may more efficiently oppress you. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife