Author Topic: Parents, School Tangle Over Boy's Long Locks  (Read 10166 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Parents, School Tangle Over Boy's Long Locks
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 09:32:30 AM »
Just for the record, I find the wide differences on this subject pretty interesting. I hope we can keep it civil because it appears to be a much hotter topic than I first thought it would be.  [popcorn]
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 09:34:53 AM »
we need pics/video of the parents espousing their views
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »
Furthermore the rule is stupid.  My public (went to public and private) schools never had any type of hair code.  I was never thinking "oh my God, if this guy in front of me didn't have a mohawk I totally would have aced that test".  These rules are stupid, and make controversy out of nothing.

And the only thing stupider than the rule is the way these parents choose to fight it.  There are good ways to get the rules changed.  And there are stupid ways.

How does one "demonstrate" membership in a particular religion?  Star of David embroidered on clothes?  Sikh decoder ring?

Do you really want the schools determining whether someone is faithful enough to their religion to be permitted to exercise it?  Little Timmy's just going to have to eat tacos on Friday: he can't be Catholic anymore because his parents had an Obama/Biden sign in their yard last year.  Levi must participate in the pep rally crawfish boil because his mother was seen wearing pants.

Slow down a minute.  All I'm saying is that religiously-based exemptions to policy aren't usually something you just grant yourself on any particular issue.  That would be too easy to abuse.  From what I understand, it usually takes actual membership in a known religious group with particular beliefs.  I guess you could imagine scenarios in which that could be abused.  It just wouldn't be so pertinent to the issue at hand. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »

Please, no. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 10:11:15 AM »
aw come on  its like a video train wreck  horrific  but you have to watch   how can i truly assess the level of stupidity without video
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 10:33:02 AM »
Looking at the picture, I personally think the kid ought to have a haircut.

I also think it is NOT within the purview of a PUBLIC school bureaucrat to punish the kid if he doesn't. (BTW, what kind of nonsense is the "in school suspension" the article mentions? Kid is supposed to come in so the school gets its funding, but he can't go to class? Bovine excrement. When I was a kid, suspension meant you were OUT for a while.)

The principal ought to be made to personally pay the kid's legal fees, as well as cover the cost of tutoring for the classes the kid missed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 10:33:33 AM »
Sorta like the drama queen parents who teach their kids to play sports, hold any particular religious beliefs, etc.

Sorry, that's a big ol' fail in the analogy department.

Quote from: jackdanson
Once again, as long as it's publicly funded they shouldn't have rules that are based off of cultural preferences.

Like wrote, welcome to federalism.  I bet other ISDs do it differently.

Sounds like you want one standard imposed from above that conforms to your preferences.  I think locals who pay taxes can use the ballot to determine how those tax dollars are spent without someone from outside the community(1) imposing their cultural preferences on the entire community.

Not quite sure where you get the "If gov't does it, there can be no standards," idea.

aw come on  its like a video train wreck  horrific  but you have to watch   how can i truly assess the level of stupidity without video

This.  I want the stoopid cold & unfiltered by mere text and journalistic interlopers.

(1) Or outside the community's cultural preferences
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 10:40:25 AM »
The link in the OP has video of the parents sounding stupid.  And looking stupid!!   :lol:

I also think it is NOT within the purview of a PUBLIC school bureaucrat to punish the kid if he doesn't. (BTW, what kind of nonsense is the "in school suspension" the article mentions? Kid is supposed to come in so the school gets its funding, but he can't go to class? Bovine excrement. When I was a kid, suspension meant you were OUT for a while.)

The principal ought to be made to personally pay the kid's legal fees, as well as cover the cost of tutoring for the classes the kid missed.

So you think the principal made the rules? 

In-school suspension has been around for a while now.  It means the kid keeps going to school and learning, just not in his usual class. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2009, 10:51:29 AM »
From what I understand, it usually takes actual membership in a known religious group with particular beliefs.

What religions (other than creepy cults) offer memberships in any form that can be verified by outsiders?  Do you get discounts at Denny's when you show the card like AARP?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »
What religions (other than creepy cults) offer memberships in any form that can be verified by outsiders? 

The majority of churches that I've attended over the years, and none would be considered cults expcept by the most ridiculously militant athiests, have had a formal process to become a member of that particular church.  Usually 1-3 days of meeting for a couple hours at a time to go over denominational doctrine (or that church's if not affiliated with a denomination), organizational structures, and whatever that church expects of members.  Some will issue a certificate of membership, but whether they do or not you can easilly contact the office to confirm membership if you care to do so.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 01:11:02 PM »
What religions (other than creepy cults) offer memberships in any form that can be verified by outsiders?  Do you get discounts at Denny's when you show the card like AARP?

What are you talking about?  I've never had to seek a religious exemption from any policy, so I don't know what the usual procedure is.  Go check with your lawyer. 

I would imagine they just talk to the parents, but that doesn't apply to this case. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2009, 01:15:03 PM »
Are the parents claiming a religious exemption from policy? If not, why are we arguing over how those are granted?  ???
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
Right here.
I can't even a imagine a public school having a policy on cutting hair. That's practically a body modification. There are multiple religions that prohibit hair-cutting. Unfortunately this boy probably doesn't belong to one of them so he doesn't get the special privileges. He's probably just a normal WASP kid with no special victimization capital.

I replied to this comment, and somebody took it as a call for a new inquisition or something.  Maybe that person should take his questions to another thread. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2009, 01:49:44 PM »
I'd think you're missing zach's point - which is that if you get a religious exemption from something, it should be voluntary altogether.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »
Some will issue a certificate of membership, but whether they do or not you can easilly contact the office to confirm membership if you care to do so.

Somehow I doubt they'll be very forthcoming if a stranger calls up to ask if so-and-so is a member.  I suspect they'll be documenting heavily and calling their lawyer if businesses or schools start calling to check membership.  (especially if they know that said businesses or government agencies are already discriminating against said member)

And for that matter, how do you prove a religion if you live several hours from the nearest "official" church, and thus don't maintain a membership?  Is there an official Registry of Displaced Buddhists, for example?

Quote from: Balog
Are the parents claiming a religious exemption from policy?
Not stated in the article, but why does the kid want to give his hair to (presumably) Locks of Love?  Is it because he thinks it is the Christian (or Buddhist, or whatever) thing to do?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:46:20 PM by KD5NRH »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 03:46:14 PM »
Not stated in the article, but why does the kid parents want to give his hair to (presumably) Locks of Love?  Is it because he thinks it is the Christian (or Buddhist, or whatever) thing to do? his parents are attention whores and the idea of sending the moppet up in a weather balloon & calling the press has already been taken?

That ^^ is uncharitable of me, but unfortunately the likeliest scenario.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »
YEs, they do give the appearance of grabbing at straws with that one.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2009, 04:42:38 PM »
Bad parents, stupid school. Everyone's a loser here imho.

Yeppers.

Just so folks know, there IS a video on the link.  Parents are iffy at best.  I still don't care if the kid has long hair though.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
Somehow I doubt they'll be very forthcoming if a stranger calls up to ask if so-and-so is a member.  I suspect they'll be documenting heavily and calling their lawyer if businesses or schools start calling to check membership.  (especially if they know that said businesses or government agencies are already discriminating against said member)

And for that matter, how do you prove a religion if you live several hours from the nearest "official" church, and thus don't maintain a membership?  Is there an official Registry of Displaced Buddhists, for example?

[Pulls out hair.]

I can't believe you're still going on about this.  People DO get religious exemptions for various things.  Conscientious objectors, for example.  No one is proposing anything new. 

Below are a few links that may give you some idea of how public schools handle such things.  I offer no commentary on how well they work, just sayin' that seems to be the way things operate. 

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/guide/religious_exemption.asp
http://www.know-vaccines.org/exemptionFAQ.html
http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/sss/schoolhealth/schoolhealthservices/modelproceduresforschoolsmarch10.pdf

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »
I can't believe you're still going on about this.  People DO get religious exemptions for various things.

The problem comes in how they decide who gets the exemption; unless there's a legitimate health or safety issue, there is no reason to require anything more than the parents' confirmation of their obvious belief that long hair is not a bad thing in God's (or whoever's) eyes.

http://www.know-vaccines.org/exemptionFAQ.html

Looks like Florida is the only one that doesn't insist on getting information they have no business having: "The statutory language for Florida vaccine policy clearly states that religious exemption must be granted without question if vaccination conflicts with a person's religious convictions.  A religious objection may be expressly implied by religious denomination or it may be based on an individual's own moral/spiritual conscience to live God's Word.  Agents acting on behalf of the state in vaccination matters are prohibited from requesting ANY administrative proof that explains the recipient's religious belief or that proves membership in an "acceptable" or specific religion.  The state may NOT discriminate between religious denominations and may NOT make judgments regarding religious convictions."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
If you want to shrink the pool of things for which kids need an exemption, then you just change the rules to allow long hair and what-not.  And hey, maybe they should.  What will absolutely NOT work is for any and every school policy to be easily overturned by some parent falsely claiming an unverifiable religious conviction. That wouldn't be a religious exemption policy so much as a pick-and-choose-which-rules-you-like policy. 

there is no reason to require anything more than the parents' confirmation of their obvious belief that long hair is not a bad thing in God's (or whoever's) eyes.
They should at least have to say that their beliefs not only permit long hair, but require it. 

Looks like Florida is the only one that doesn't insist on getting information they have no business having:
Uh, so the Long-Braided-Hair Sect wants their kids to look different from everybody else, but they don't want anyone to know they're in the LBHS?  That would be odd.  Which brings us back to this:
Somehow I doubt they'll be very forthcoming if a stranger calls up to ask if so-and-so is a member.  I suspect they'll be documenting heavily and calling their lawyer if businesses or schools start calling to check membership.  (especially if they know that said businesses or government agencies are already discriminating against said member).

There's no reason for the school to call, unless they actually intend to work with the family, and accommodate their beliefs.  They wouldn't be ratting out their members, they'd be sticking up for their religious convictions.

It's not always Waco out there. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
Looking at the picture, I personally think the kid ought to have a haircut.

well... i for, one, preferred suspension over in school suspension. hell, it was even better then school. no getting up for the bus.  =D i wasn't the only one.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 08:17:35 PM »
I haven't read the story or viewed the videos.  Why do I already have the notion that silliness abounds on both sides?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »
Oh, I am sure that the school board has plenty of reasons, some of which might even make sense. 

Nah. Having dealt with a few school boards over the years, I have to say that is EXTREMELY unlikely.

Aside from which, the policy is clearly illegal:
According to the district dress code, boys' hair must be kept out of the eyes and cannot extend below the bottom of earlobes or over the collar of a dress shirt.

Can we spell "gender discrimination," students? Of course we can: G-E-N-D-E-R D-I-S-C-R-I-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:31:36 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »
Aside from which, the policy is clearly illegal:
Can we spell "gender discrimination," students? Of course we can: G-E-N-D-E-R D-I-S-C-R-I-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N.

Are boys allowed to wear dresses to public school in your area?