Author Topic: The hiking mega-thread  (Read 9091 times)

mgdavis

• friend
The hiking mega-thread
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:24:40 PM »
I know that there are a few hikers and backpackers here.

Let turn this into a big mess of gear reviews, techniques, and trip reports.

Pictures encouraged, respectful discussion and constructive criticism welcome.

[popcorn]

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The hiking mega-thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:35:07 PM »
I haven't been on a good hike in awhile.  My favorite in the last 10 years easy was hiking the trails in the high Uinta mountains in Utah, flyfishing some of the small lakes up there. 

Usually for me, hiking involves hiking into a good place to fish  :cool:

Here is some info on the area those pics are from:  http://www.utahhikingandlakes.com/highuintas.html
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:34 PM »
Now this is a good idea for a thread!  Sadly, I have not done substantial hiking in a couple of years, and only car-camping.  Lots of stuff planned for the future though!

My strategy for getting into the woods over the next couple of years involves trail running, aka speed hiking.   =D

How else can I do a 13 or 26 miles hike without being away from the kiddos for too long?

If anyone has any experience in Grand Island, MI, I'd love to hear about it.  I'm signed up to run the perimeter on August 1.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:12:17 PM »
A quick review of my daypack.

I picked up a Lowe Alpine Airzone Centro 35 on sale a couple years ago. I was pretty thrilled when I found it because it is one of not so many day packs that actually have a functional suspension and useful hipbelt. I'm not a huge fan of the bright orange color, but I pretty much love everything else about the pack. I've loaded it up with probably 20-25 lbs and it carried great.

http://www.lowealpine-usa.com/index.php?nav=24&search=cat&Category=Hiking&docp=16_1258

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »
I need to find a lightweight hydration pack that won't bobble around much--would appreciate any thoughts.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:23:33 PM »

From north of Mt. Baker, just 10 or so miles south of Canada, taken Sept of '08.

I have since replaced the BDUs with a pair of actual hiking pants from REI. (REI Adventures pants. They rock.)

Lessons learned -
Don't forget sunglasses. :facepalm:
A cheap softshell is not warm enough to be a insulating midlayer when the temps dip to freezing and below.
If you're sleeping on snow a z-rest might not be thick enough to keep you warm.
Don't leave the tent body behind if it's going to be cold.

I froze that night. I now have significantly more high end cold weather gear.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/yellow-aster-butte

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36:57 PM »
I need to find a lightweight hydration pack that won't bobble around much--would appreciate any thoughts.

What's your price range?

CamelBak makes a vest designed for runners, but it's a hundred bucks.

http://www.rei.com/product/795871

REI also has a vest by Nathan that looks a little less gimmicky.

http://www.rei.com/product/767746

I don't have any experience with either one, but they look pretty stable.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »
The RaceBak looks awesome, but I've read that it's better for cyclists than runners.  Tends to pull at the neck apparently.  I am tempted though, I tell ya.  For pack and stuff though, I usually get men's gear.  I have guy shoulders, apparently.  Women's packs and such pinch my neck and don't sit right.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:58:55 PM »
On rain pants -

I own a pair of Marmot Precip pants. They're sweet. I love Marmot gear and these are no exception, except for one little exception. ;)

When I bought these pants I decided to go with the 1/2 zip legs instead of the full zip. I kick myself over this decision every time I put them on while on the trail because my boots don't fit through the legs. If I'd gotten the full zip it'd be no sweat, but instead I have to find a place to sit while I take off my boots to get my rain pants on. Next time I'm definitely going to think about ease of donning and doffing when I buy rain pants.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
I'm more a canoer than a hiker but Katadyn Hker Pro are awesome water filters and I love my Optimus multifuel stove.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

chefman

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »
Great thread... Just signed up to help clear trails in the Bankhead Forest in NW Alabama saturday. Will try to get some decent pictures.
Just because you stepped in it don't mean you have to stand in it....just sayin'

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
I grew up in the woods, lived right next to a national park, always hiking, but make a piss-poor hiker to talk about. Never much gear, don't do much overnight since the idea abhors my otherwise outdoorsy wife. Something about hot showers I guess. We did do an overnight up Mt. Leconte in the Smokies this year, cheating since there is a rustic lodge up there. Pretty cool place to stay. Bears every damned place. Overnight by myself usually involves hunting, not too picky on gear there either, last time I chopped some pine boughs down with my big freakin' knife, laid down, blanket over the legs, and snug in my Carhartt jacket. That's good for me unless it gets below 20 deg.

Right now cold weather gear is my weakness, I need a windproof face sock or head wrap, and some waterproof pants. I've always had high quality jackets, ignore my legs. Lemme tell you, cross a stream 6-20 times in jeans when it is about 30 out and you become cold.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:29 PM »
On rain pants -

I own a pair of Marmot Precip pants. They're sweet. I love Marmot gear and these are no exception, except for one little exception. ;)

When I bought these pants I decided to go with the 1/2 zip legs instead of the full zip. I kick myself over this decision every time I put them on while on the trail because my boots don't fit through the legs. If I'd gotten the full zip it'd be no sweat, but instead I have to find a place to sit while I take off my boots to get my rain pants on. Next time I'm definitely going to think about ease of donning and doffing when I buy rain pants.

I have read that Precip stuff is just awesome, but this bit about full leg zips is news to me.  Yet another reason for a full set those to be on the wish list.  Although I have found that a pair of wool pants from Goodwill works fine for keeping warm, no matter how wet they get.  They're only good for when you keep moving, and probably not much colder than about forty or so, but for summer showers, old wool suit pants are great.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 12:10:57 AM »
Porcupine Mountain State Park, Michigan UP

A view from the North Country Trail, Michigan UP
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 12:14:58 AM »
Gila Wilderness, New Mexico

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »
Isle Royale

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 12:19:32 AM »
Now this is a good idea for a thread!  Sadly, I have not done substantial hiking in a couple of years, and only car-camping.  Lots of stuff planned for the future though!

My strategy for getting into the woods over the next couple of years involves trail running, aka speed hiking.   =D

How else can I do a 13 or 26 miles hike without being away from the kiddos for too long?

If anyone has any experience in Grand Island, MI, I'd love to hear about it.  I'm signed up to run the perimeter on August 1.
trail moped? =D really it would be fun. a set of saddlebags, and a park where camping and the bike are allowed. oh yeah that ain't happening. =|

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »
RMNP

Looking down on our camp at Lawn Lake

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 12:38:13 AM »
a high tech walking stick, :angel: and a monopod for your camera. they have the sets of too to(is that the right toos? ???). [popcorn]

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 12:59:40 AM »
a high tech walking stick, :angel: and a monopod for your camera. they have the sets of too to(is that the right toos? ???). [popcorn]

Trekking poles rock. I'm pretty prone to rolling my ankles when I'm loaded up, and have taken some pretty good falls on occasion, so I almost always have my sticks with me now. They definitely help when climbing, and have saved me from countless spills.

I use an older pair of Leki Makalu anti-shock poles. I think next time I might get ones that are lighter, with no spring mechanism, and that have a more positive lock.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »
I usually day hike with my Camelbak Transalp. One of the biggest they've ever made, I can take a days worth of food, warm clothes, fishing gear and a few other items. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
Hike to Mt. Townsend and Snow Lake(?) in June of 2008. We weren't expecting to get into snow at all, it's a good thing that I was carrying 100' of para-cord to guy out the tents.

Looking east over the Hood Canal

Looking southwest into the Olympics

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
Campsite on an old lavaflow Cherokee Lake, BWCA

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 12:33:50 PM »
Oh the horrors, carnivorous plants. From the portage into Frost Lake, BWCA.

So what caliber for the little swamps of horrors

Uranus is a gas giant.