Author Topic: Denver Post photo essay of Marjah offensive  (Read 4187 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Denver Post photo essay of Marjah offensive
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:12:14 PM »

In case anyone is interested: some nice photos of the offensive against the Taliban in Marjah:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/02/23/troops-storm-marjah-afghanistan/
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Denver Post photo essay of Marjah offensive
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 05:42:33 PM »
At first, I thought someone had been offended.   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »
During a sporadic firefight, U.S. Army Staff Sgt. and flight medic Robert B. Cowdrey, of La Junta, Colo., top right, with Task Force Pegasus, coordinates a medical evacuation mission as Marine infantrymen carry onto a helicopter the second of two wounded Taliban fighters captured minutes earlier, according to witnesses, in Marjah, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Wednesday Feb. 17, 2010. The two were transported to a nearby U.S. Navy field hospital.

During a sporadic firefight, U.S. Army Staff Sgt. and flight medic Robert B. Cowdrey, of La Junta, Colo., far left, with Task Force Pegasus, coordinates a medical evacuation mission as Marine infantrymen carry a combative and wounded Taliban fighter captured minutes earlier, according to witnesses, in Marjah, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Wednesday Feb. 17, 2010. Two wounded Taliban fighters were transported to a nearby field hospital.

America. Awesome.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
Yeah. We treat their wounded, while they try to shoot down helicopters marked with a red cross for "Ambulance."

What more need be said?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:23:01 PM »

In this photo released by Britain's Ministry of Defense, a member of the F Company (Fire Support) 1 Royal Welsh takes a retina image of an Afghan during operation "Moshtarak" Saturday, Feb. 13, 2010, near Marjah, in Afghanistan's Helmand province. British troops are among the thousands of NATO and Afghan soldiers who stormed the Taliban stronghold of Marjah by air and ground Saturday. (AP Photo/Ministry of Defense, SSGT Mark Jones)

Anyone know why they would be doing this? ???
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »
Anyone know why they would be doing this? ???

Not sure.  Clearance for sensitive areas?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

taurusowner

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
Nope. It's for later identification.  We assign EPWs, local civilians who help us, and other indigenous people ID numbers that stay with them.  We use biometrics so that one guy who might be captured and released in a raid by soldiers at one point, can be identified later if captured or met again.  It's not like they have a national ID system or drivers licenses.  Yes it is used if we are allowing locals into FOBs to sell things or such, but the system is MUCH more widely used than that.  It's use in EPW control is probably the most abundant application.

As for the thread, cool pics.  Though I personally could have used a few less pics or Marines and a few more of Soldiers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:10:27 PM »

As for the thread, cool pics.  Though I personally could have used a few less pics or Marines and a few more of Soldiers.

;/

Considering it was a Marine operation, in conjunction the the Brits and Afgan forces, probably not alot of Army types along for the ride.  I did see an Army medevac chopper in the pics, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »
;/

Considering it was a Marine operation, in conjunction the the Brits and Afgan forces, probably not alot of Army types along for the ride.  I did see an Army medevac chopper in the pics, though.

The operation is ongoing. Wiki states there's "Marine and Army" elements on the ground, but Wiki is probably not very reliable with ongoing events like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Moshtarakhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Moshtarak

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:41:29 PM »
America. Awesome.

I've posted this before, but it still chokes me up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLOjIKt7wOk
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 10:07:41 PM »
I've posted this before, but it still chokes me up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLOjIKt7wOk

It's very nice, but that man his carrying is a member of the pro-US Iraqi forces, not an Iraqi Republican Guardsman.

taurusowner

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 11:36:55 PM »
It's very nice, but that man his carrying is a member of the pro-US Iraqi forces, not an Iraqi Republican Guardsman.

Citation?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 01:39:15 AM »
Looks to me like SSGT Whitman's feet are probably covered in broken blisters by the looks of his socks. Yet he is still out there kicking doors in and doing his job.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 01:56:16 AM »
I did the biometric scanning for my platoon during our rotation on bridge duty. Interesting stuff, but I have serious doubts about it's reliability.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 02:06:58 AM »
Looks to me like SSGT Whitman's feet are probably covered in broken blisters by the looks of his socks. Yet he is still out there kicking doors in and doing his job.

That was the most remarkable photo to me, too.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."