Author Topic: had my first bad ebay experience.  (Read 4000 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
had my first bad ebay experience.
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
bought a ds game  guy claimed an aussie address. get game 3 weeks later its a hong kong address.  games does not work. guy had a good rating in the last month got 35 negatives. ebay closed my case in the resolution center  no refund.  their buyer protection is a sad joke. no explanation on how they decided. at least it was just 15 bucks.  i can do biz elsewhere
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TMM

• friend
Re: had my first bad ebay experience.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »
I always check the seller's rating before buying something... it's worked out so far.

TMM

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:07:25 PM »
That right there is why I always filter my results to the United States.  Back when I first started, I was always amazed at the low prices of a lot of stuff (mostly electronic)... until I got a hint from a friend of mine who's basically been eBaying since its first days.  "If it's coming from out-of-country, don't expect it for a couple of months.  If it's coming from the other side of the Pacific, it will either take a couple of months and then crap out when you need it most, it will take six months and not work at all, or it will never show up."

Plus, factoring in the shipping costs usually breaks the deal for that stuff anyway.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
this guy had good ratings across the board no negatives a ton of sales . he got his first negative right after i bought and then got 34 more in a couple weeks. all the same nonsense on stuff shipped from hong kong
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »
Identity theft?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »
Bought a shotgun barrel off there years ago.  Guy never shipped it.  Similar situation, good ratings and then it all went to pot around the time I bought my item.

Full refund.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:43:20 AM »
Never been screwed on Ebay.  ditched my first ebay account after they got all holy on gun stuff.  We ended up needing some stuff off there for our business, and the wife found a supplier for some face stuff she needs for acne.  So, now we use paypal again :P  Got some nice grips for my 1911 off there, too. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »
The one and only time I got burned on ebay, I got resolution through paypal.

I did the same thing JJ.  I dumped an ebay account I had since 1998 or so, but ended up coming back because there are some things you just can't find outside of ebay these days.  I won't sell through them, but I do buy a couple items a year that way.

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 08:20:51 AM »
I'm a little peeved that they seem to have rigged it now so that the ONLY way you can conduct business through them is to have a Paypal account. I recently tried to sell an item and mentioned personal checks would have to clear before shipment, apparently the word "checks" tripped a trigger and I was electronically admonished for being willing to accept checks and money orders.  ;/

I had stopped using them several years ago but decided to give it another shot. So far I am negatively impressed.  =|
Avoid cliches like the plague!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »
I only had one semi-bad experience. I was selling off some Swedish M94 parts a few years ago and got a reply back about one of the handguards I sold. The buyer was unhappy because it didn't look exactly like the one in the photo (the tiny bit of woodgrain was different), I explained to him that I had a dozen or so of them and took one photo for Ebay selling, and the one that was in the photo was sold already. I offered to send him detailed photos of all of my remaining stock and let him pick from the bunch and I would pay for shipping. After several days of exchanging emails and sending him more and more dtails, he decided to keep the one I originally sold to him.   I then decided that selling on eby wasn't worth the hassle any more.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 07:27:27 AM »
this guy had good ratings across the board no negatives a ton of sales . he got his first negative right after i bought and then got 34 more in a couple weeks. all the same nonsense on stuff shipped from hong kong

i've always thought a person could build up a good rating by using another account to buy 10-20 of his own items.  then he's set to rip off anyone coming along.  the amount of time they've held their account is another good indicator.

most of my ebay transactions have gone well.  my only negative experience was with one jerk with some router bits. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 07:35:44 AM »
I got a really weird ebay experience recently, myself. I received a package I didn't request or purchase, with my name on it. It's a house key, no return address other than "ebay antique dealer ______".

Odd.  =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 07:37:54 AM »
I got a really weird ebay experience recently, myself. I received a package I didn't request or purchase, with my name on it. It's a house key, no return address other than "ebay antique dealer ______".

Odd.  =|

someone might be using your identity?  Ex GF?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »
Not that I know of.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 08:52:20 AM »

Odd.  =|

:laugh: =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Ebay can be really hit or miss, some good, some bad. This even includes the far east vendors who really do provide some good stuff, especially by way of clothing (provided you know and provide your measurements correctly). I know people who have bought great suits on there. Mi fiancee got her wedding dress from an ebay dress maker in china (and as a bonus, hours of teasing about child labor)
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.