Author Topic: The hiking mega-thread  (Read 9089 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: The hiking mega-thread
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
It's unreal how light it is, and how small it packs down. I was at the local shop today, and there were 30* down bags that weighed more. 850-fill down is awesome. It was pricey, but I don't regret it at all.

I've got to say, I'm a little surprised at how snug it fits. I'm a pretty thin dude, and it's just about right on me. If I was much thicker I don't think I'd be able to spend a comfortable night in this bag.

I have the long which is also wider. The less air in the bag your body has to heat the warmer you will be.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »
I'm pretty much a Marmot fanboy, so I found this link pretty interesting. It's a document that discusses all their different materials and technologies, including test procedures for determining the breathability/waterproofness of different materials. It also covers the original of various grades of goose down.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
I'm a Mont Bell fanboy myself.  My gore tex jacket and pants from them have been great and I have nothing but good things to say about my Ultralight S.S. #3 sleeping bag.  Henry Shires Tarptents are also a good thing.  On my last trip last summer I packed out about 25 pounds of garbage (weighed it on a deer hunters scale) because I thought the extra exercise would be good for me!  Two years ago 25 pounds would have put me at about 70 pounds total load, I don't think I was breaking 50 pounds even with a huge garbage bag strapped to the back of my pack.  Knowing I was going to be walking along a river for the last 13 miles helped, I could filter some water into my bottle, drink it all, then walk off with an empty bottle knowing that water was close by.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 09:28:17 AM »
I like my Serria Designs bags. I have a 15 degree bag, the Paul Bunyon and a 20 degree bag, I can't think of the model off hand but its over ten years old and is my main bag.

I wish they still made the Paul Bunyon it's a nice roomy mummy bag that is extra long so I can slide done into it on cold nights.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »
To do a little thread veer....  :lol:

One of my favorite sites for gear is www.campmor.com
Anyone have any good links to share?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:57:25 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2010, 10:52:47 AM »
To do a little thread veer....  :lol:

One of my favorite sites for gear is www.campmor.com
Anyone have any good links to share?

Sierra Trading Port www.sierratradingpost.com

I've even been to their store in Cody, WY too.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2010, 10:55:53 AM »
Backcountry.com

Not only are they sales tax free for me, they have free shipping on orders over $50. Their Backcountry.com branded gear is awesome, too. Not so sure about Stoic yet though.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »
if you don't mind the .mil look http://uscalvary.com/ has some good deals, sometimes =D

PTK

• friends
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2010, 07:59:27 AM »
Backcountry.com long-handled Ti spoon. Pretty much a 16 gram titanium MRE spoon. The bowl looks like it's shaped to handle soup better than an MRE spoon. Pure hiking swank/bling.

You just enlightened me as to something I need that I didn't know existed. My roommate has been notified that a few $$ of rent money is to buy me this instead.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."