Author Topic: Caught with 1/4 Ton of Pot  (Read 11447 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Caught with 1/4 Ton of Pot
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 03:22:56 PM »
Aren't there scanners and stuff at airports to pick up that you are carrying drugs?
Metal detectors & X-rays don't detect drugs, and AFAIK the mechanical "sniffers" are set to detect explosives, not dope. There may well be drug-sniffing dogs behind the scenes, but the only time I've actually encountered Officer Fido was when he greeted me on a return flight from Europe.

In any case, the story said the mule arrived on a chartered jet - the implication is it wasn't a commercial charter. Passengers on corporate & private aircraft generally don't go through any screenings . . . they often don't even use the commercial terminal.

My guess is that she was "made" in a surveillance operation, or someone on the inside blew the whistle on her - the "suspicious flights" part of the story sounds like a cover.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:50:23 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »
current price for really good ( CA ) stuff like train wreck or purple kush is between 325- 425
an oz, depending on how many ppl between you and the grower.

Quote from: 280plus on Today at 05:54:35 PM
It's pretty cheap when you can grow it in your back yard.  Wink

You can grow tobacco in many of the same areas as you can grow pot.  You can make your own wine and/or beer, even liquer.

Yet most people don't bother.  It's easier to buy from the store.

Really?? where can I score some tobacco seeds?- being a non smoker I might be able to turn a profit... it might be a good thing to be growing "One Second After"
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »
current price for really good ( CA ) stuff like train wreck or purple kush is between 325- 425
an oz, depending on how many ppl between you and the grower.

Really?? where can I score some tobacco seeds?- being a non smoker I might be able to turn a profit... it might be a good thing to be growing "One Second After"

OK a little googleFU turned up quite a bit of info! I think I'm gonna talk the pal I live with to let me try a little Tabacco growing
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »
it's called "tabackee"  ;)

Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 06:00:25 PM »
scanners?

I think in his case we'd be talking one hitters. I wonder what that would calc out to...  :O

:laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 07:02:32 PM »
it's called "tabackee"  ;)

Not to be confused with the Wacky Tobacky.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 08:15:48 PM »
Oooohhh I just came up with an idea

If the government really wanted to "win" the war on drugs, why not flood the market with cheap drugs?  Crash the price, send the cartels out of business, then go on from there?

Just an alcohol induced "thought"...... :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »
The DEA complaint says that drug-enforcement agents in Los Angeles alerted Columbus agents that Lee was making "suspicious flights" to Columbus with "an excessive amount of luggage." When she arrived at 6:40 p.m. Monday on a Gulfstream aircraft at Lane Aviation, agents arrested her.

it's amazing what constitutes "suspicious" activity.  is there even a need for a search warrent in this case?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
Aren't there scanners and stuff at airports to pick up that you are carrying drugs?
Thats the beauty of private or chartered planes, you bypass all normal airport security. (or illusion of security)
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
I thought all women travelled with excessive amounts of luggage...?

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 11:52:08 PM »

Huh, I just saw a spike-heel shoe flying westbound at high velocity.

Probably nothing.  [popcorn]
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 12:29:53 AM »

When I went to NOLA for a week to volunteer, I shared a room with another woman and a guy.  The guy brought about four suitcases plus sundry suitbags.  I brought two bags--a small duffel and a briefcase.  Of course, when I've gone camping with a friend, I bring a tent, a sleeping bag, if it's cold, a ground pad, a backpacking cook-kit and maybe a box of some food, and a change or two of clothes.  If I have a kid with me I bring a couple changes of clothes and diapers.  My middle-aged male friend brings:  a tent.  Another tent.  A sleeping bag, pad, small rug, extra sheet, several changes of clothes, a massive toiletry/accessory bag, MREs, assorted junk food, assorted alcohol, several books, a hatchet, an axe, a stove, another stove, another stove, a latern, another lantern, and three flashflights, a revolver, a knife, a rifle, a telescope, some more books, a dishpan-ful of assorted kitchen detritus, more junk food, several towels...I could go on and on.  Suffice to say it's a tight fit getting it all in the car, and it ain't because of my stuff.

Maybe I just travel stupidly light, but I have yet to encounter a travel situation where I don't have half as much luggage as most other people.  Guess I'd rather do without than deal with all that packing and unpacking and organizing.  Keeps it simpler. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 02:11:26 AM »
You can grow tobacco in many of the same areas as you can grow pot.  You can make your own wine and/or beer, even liquer.

Yet most people don't bother.  It's easier to buy from the store.

AFAICT, pot doesn't have the several-months-of-careful-control curing process of tobacco, or at least none of the growers I've met ever put more than a couple weeks of effort into it.  There's also the fact that a pound of pot will last most users a lot longer than a pound of tobacco, so the effort to produce it results in a higher payoff.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:35 AM »
My wife has an evil talent of packing suitcases right to the 50lb limit.  Probably the root cause of my back problems.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 09:01:49 AM »
There's virtue in traveing as light as necessary . . . but not lighter. When I travel on business, I can last several days quite comfortably with a briefcase and a carry-on size duffle bag; the only time I have to check a bag is when I'm going to spend about a week at a conference, and anticipate getting things like conference proceedings & manufacturer's catalogs to take back.
. . . Maybe I just travel stupidly light, but I have yet to encounter a travel situation where I don't have half as much luggage as most other people.  Guess I'd rather do without than deal with all that packing and unpacking and organizing.  Keeps it simpler.  
Or maybe the others have to pack more because you don't? (I didn't see things like axe, hatchet, knife, firearms, lantern, flashlight, etc. in "your" list of camping gear . . . not even alcohol:O )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 10:49:09 AM »
Not to be confused with the Wacky Tobacky.

Or Tomacco,

=D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »
AFAICT, pot doesn't have the several-months-of-careful-control curing process of tobacco, or at least none of the growers I've met ever put more than a couple weeks of effort into it.  There's also the fact that a pound of pot will last most users a lot longer than a pound of tobacco, so the effort to produce it results in a higher payoff.

So it's possible that a real legal commercial effort might make for a superior product?

I've seen weed farms - I still think that if you chopped the street price by 75% while making it legal, that most home growers would stop.  Some would go commercial.  You'd still have some growing it at home, but if it's legal it's not going to be worth the effort to 'most'.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 09:19:07 PM »
There's virtue in traveing as light as necessary . . . but not lighter. When I travel on business, I can last several days quite comfortably with a briefcase and a carry-on size duffle bag; the only time I have to check a bag is when I'm going to spend about a week at a conference, and anticipate getting things like conference proceedings & manufacturer's catalogs to take back. Or maybe the others have to pack more because you don't? (I didn't see things like axe, hatchet, knife, firearms, lantern, flashlight, etc. in "your" list of camping gear . . . not even alcohol:O )

Axe? Hatchet? Knife?

Just pack this.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
Axe? Hatchet? Knife?

Just pack this.

That must be tougher than the US entrenching tool, I broke several of those digging fox holes using them as a pick.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
So the rest of the story goes, There were 3 of us, I was the middleman and these two guys were the buyers. They had a Datsun 240z. Anyone who remembers those knows they are two seaters. Well, guess who gets to ride in the back under the hatch. This is ok except on the way back I was sitting on 2 keys in the back under the hatch. Would you believe the cops stopped us and gave us a ticket for having me in the back while I was sitting on the two keys? I swear, there I was, sitting on two keys of pot while the cop gives us a ticket.  :facepalm:

Then he sends us on our merry way. Hence the value of keeping your cool. :lol:

Actually the stuff was so bad it probably would have tested negative anyways. I've smoked better hay.  [barf]

Which is again why I'm in favor of legalization....we need some friggin' QUALITY CONTROL, dammit!!  =D

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 09:46:43 PM »
Oooohhh I just came up with an idea

If the government really wanted to "win" the war on drugs, why not flood the market with cheap drugs?  Crash the price, send the cartels out of business, then go on from there?

Just an alcohol induced "thought"...... :facepalm:

Because that would be a sensible approach that wouldn't waste vast amounts of tax payers money on a never-ending struggle?

He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »
So it's possible that a real legal commercial effort might make for a superior product?

I've seen weed farms - I still think that if you chopped the street price by 75% while making it legal, that most home growers would stop.  Some would go commercial.  You'd still have some growing it at home, but if it's legal it's not going to be worth the effort to 'most'.

I would tend to agree.  Witness what happened post prohibition.  Once alcohol was legalized again, home growing didn't really stop, but it did take a fairly heavy dive since most folks don't want to go through the hassle of brewing their own beer or distilling their own booze. 
Now, the greatest of majority of folks who want to drink something go to the store and buy it. 

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 10:56:10 PM »
Because that would be a sensible approach that wouldn't waste vast amounts of tax payers money on a never-ending struggle?

and bribe levels would drop like obama's poll numbers. [popcorn]

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Isn't distilling your own spirits still illegal because you're not paying the taxes on it?
Look, tiny text!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »
Beer and wine are ok for home distilling, and I know someone who makes their own everclear.  I'm not TOO positive on the aspects of the legality of making everclear without the proper paperwork.  There IS a limit to how much you can make, and if you go over a certain limit, you gotta pay the taxes.