Author Topic: Not the path my former associates tried back in the day...  (Read 2776 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Not the path my former associates tried back in the day...
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »
but still cool none the less.

Perhaps ranking behind only bullets and water, blood is one of those things you really don't want to run out of on the battlefield. But better battlefield medicine -- as well as some of the more malicious combat techniques employed by insurgent guerrilla fighters -- mean more soldiers are surviving their injuries, and that puts military blood banks in a bind. But a DARPA program launched in 2008 is coming to fruition, potentially providing medics an endless stream of universally accepted O-negative blood through a process known as blood pharming.

Two years ago, DARPA set a goal of creating a self-contained, synthetic platform that can cultivate red blood cells that can stand up to the violent demands of the battlefield. Through the process of "pharming," or genetically engineering an organism to generate large quantities of a useful substance, the DoD's R&D arm was hoping to end blood shortages on the battlefield for good.

A company awarded nearly $2 million to develop this genetically engineered blood product has shipped off the first shipment to the FDA, hoping the regulators will approve it for use in trauma wards everywhere. The biotech company, Arteriocyte, can turn an umbilical cord into 20 units of blood in about three days at a cost of about $5,000 per unit. That's a bit steep, but if the FDA approves the blood product and the company is able to scale the production method, fake blood could be the real deal.

And here's why: most military blood is donated on the ground in the U.S., meaning it has to be shipped under special conditions to faraway war zones, adding expense and time lag to the process. Most blood is at least 21 days old when it reaches far-flung battlefields. At that point, it has a shelf-life of seven days before some medical experts say it is expired (as Danger Room points out, this is disputed; for instance, the Red Cross gives blood 42 days before tossing it). Some say blood starts to go bad in just 14 days, or a week before it lands in combat zones.

If Arteriocyte can get the cost down, pharmed blood could replace the donated stuff within five years, though the brass may push the FDA to fast-track it if necessary. Hopefully the coming years will see a reduced need for large quantities of battlefield blood, but it's good to know we could churn out a vast supply in a pinch.
Source: http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-07/darpas-synthetic-blood-flows-lab-fda-could-be-battlefields-soon

Is it wrong to get excited about fake blood?  =D
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Not the path my former associates tried back in the day...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:18:42 AM »
DARPA is simply awesome.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:32:02 AM »
Shades of Heinlein?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 12:40:31 AM »
DARPA is simply awesome.

Indeed.  I love working DARPA projects.  "Here's your box.  Say goodbye to it, as you're not going to see it while working this project."  You work it for a while, it shows promise, and then the US Army shows up, and the first thing they do is a mass-distribution of boxes for all.

Also, maybe this will get the med community to halt the brain-dead policy of destroying umbilical cords as the default setting.  WAY too many uses, from stem cell treatments to this blood farming.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 01:57:56 AM »
DARPA is simply awesome.

In fairness, DARPA has dozens of duds for every one huge success.  But their successes are insane game changers.  'course, being "failure tolerate" is what makes them so successful.  Most other agencies, an unsuccessful project means your career is over so folks get super cautious.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 10:58:49 AM »
Vampires everywhere are celebrating....

Seriously...good job DARPA....this will save a lot of lives....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:07:34 AM »
With getting prepared to go to Afghanistan next year this is good news.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:56:25 AM »
It will also mean a lot to Jehovah Witnesses everywhere.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 02:13:26 AM »
In fairness, DARPA has dozens of duds for every one huge success.

Isn't that pretty much the definition of research?